• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Indy and the Fate of Atlantis - Lava Maze

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2016-03-15

PM

Hi,

FOA is my favorite game ever, and today I found a new death, watching a long play on YT.

Check mark 1:15

Indy dies randomly while trying to cross the legendary lava maze ??

I was stunned, I know this game by heart, beated it more than 50 times, and I never found that death.

I tried to replicate it, and couldn’t do it. Looks like Indy dies randomly, since the puzzle is not unsolvable.

Anyone has more info on this ?
Thanks,

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I honestly can’t remember. Must be 15 years since I last played this wonderful game.

Anecdotaly, the first time I played this game was at my best friend as a kid’s house in about 1993. I remember the game came with a walkthrough and he was telling me off for using it to solve some of the puzzles. His mum just passed away 2 days ago Frown

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

You’re right, the puzzle is certainly not unsolvable, but as I recall, my Indie died several times trying to cross that maze….I thought it was funny. Sometime down the road I’ll replay it and try to die another day!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2016-03-15

PM

I would love to know what’s the trigger.

Is there a way we could know the behaviour analyzing scummVM source code ?

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

You eventually die if you make bad choices about where to walk so that the bridge becomes impassable.

Or probably if you’ve moved too many times.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

If you want to work out the logic for yourself, here are all the scripts for room 55 (the lava maze).

The script that initializes the room is entry-55, and Indy’s “Uh-oh” when he dies is in script 202, so those two files look like good places to start.

Frankly, good luck with the whole thing. The decompiled scripts have no comments and no proper names for variables, so they’re pretty hard to follow.

Joined 2016-03-15

PM

Thanks ! I’ve always wanted to read some of the code, even if it’s not the original source code.

Today I managed to die on the lava maze ! I could never get the maze to be unsolvable, but managed to die by just circle walking and eventually it triggered. I was without Sophia, not sure if you can die if she’s watching.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-07-14

PM

Sorry to necro this thread, but then again, digging up a 2-year old thread about a >20 year old game can’t be wrong.

Just finished Indy again today (was a teenager when I first played it too).

If the only rule of the maze is that the tile directly in front of you disappears, I don’t think it is mathematically possible to trap yourself by making a tile behind you disappear. If you made a tile in front of you disappear, it means there is a tile behind you to go back to. And because you cannot have 3 tiles in a straight line (as the 3rd will always disappear as soon as you step from the 1st to the 2nd), the path will always be ‘bendy’, so you should always be able to backtrack your steps without making any further tiles disappear. I’m probably not making much sense, it sounded better in my head.

But anyway, I started the paragraph with “if” for a reason: tiles don’t only disappear right in front of you. Tiles also disappear randomly over time. I just had Indy stand still for a couple of minutes, and indeed a few tiles disappeared over time, and that actually did trap him. First he was marooned on a strip of 2 or 3 tiles, a few minutes later he was trapped on a single tile, and finally that one also disappeared, ending the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top