• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough—Phantasmat

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A quick technical question. Is it possible to put a spoiler tag on a screenshot? I vaguely remember having tried it, but not succeeding.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve tried without success to put an image in a spoiler tag, but I didn’t experiment a lot—just tried it once.

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished getting the elevator fixed and took a little boat ride before I realized I went to far.  I’ll stop here until I get the okay to move on.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 25 October 2014 08:29 PM

I’ve tried without success to put an image in a spoiler tag, but I didn’t experiment a lot—just tried it once.

I don’t think it can be done. Maybe put a link to the picture in spoiler tags instead?

Just reached the boat. I’m finding the game slightly more difficult than Angelica Weaver. I’ve had to backtrack more, and try things again until I got them right.
My problem with the diving suit puzzle was because I’d missed the relevant hotspots. And my initial trouble with the telephone number puzzle was just me being obtuse…

Thoughts on the story so far:
- The proprietor killed the previous hotel owner and the old lady killed the mayor.
- The old lady aging in the picture, but not the proprietor nor the assistant suggests that they both died at around the time of the flood (possibly by the hands of the old lady), while the old lady lived quite a few years yet before dying (if she’s really dead, that is, but I suspect everyone is, including us).
- I don’t know who robbed the bank, but the young assistant “not leaving town” despite the incoming flood could maybe mean that she stuck around because she hid the loot somewhere in town (and that part is now flooded). Either that, or the old lady is involved, and the loot is somewhere in the cemetary (the place she seems to visit often). Possibly the mayor’s grave even.
- There’s an obvious link between the tower viewer aimed at the cemetary, and that mysterious box in the dead adventurer’s room. I don’t think it’s solvable yet, though.

Colour me intrigued. I’m very curious to see where the rest of the story is going.

As an aside: it’s particularly interesting because I watched the French series “Les Revenants” over the summer, and that also features a town that got flooded by a dam many years ago. That and supernatural stuff happening… Tongue

Also, I’ve found two Codeminions logos so far and there’s at least one more. We’re only just over a third of the way (according to the Tasks), so I suspect the third logo is in an area we’re yet to explore.
I haven’t used any hints yet, although I did get one penalty for clicking too much during a HOG. Anyone know what the penalty is? Will the game consider that “using a hint”?
I merely ask because I’d like to nail as many trophies as I can (except for the Match-3 one, because I haven’t switched yet)... Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to say to the other Tim that you will be surprised how your assumptions evolve.

In this playthrough, because I’ve played the game before, I’m playing in Expert mode. I think I mentioned to Becky in a PM that solving a HO scene while being timed is very stressful. I’m going to come up short on the Codeminion medallions. I only found one. But then, I really didn’t know I should be looking for them. Woe is me.

And, as long as I mentioned Becky, let us all give a round of applause for her excellent review of GK1-Reloaded.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

PHANTASMAT PLAYTHROUGH – SECTION THREE

What a lovely night for a cruise! Except, of course, for the rain. At least there’s a view of the moon.

Drop anchor for scenic wonder #1. The church tower. Rising out of the water. Wonder why it’s locked.

Drop anchor for scenic wonder #2. Partially submerged graves. You have arrived at your destination.

Someone awaits you here.
Hint #1. It’s not the Grim Reaper.
Hint #2. It’s someone even less trustworthy.

For Section Three, play until you’ve solved the cube puzzle in the ruined room in the ruined house next to the bar in town.

If possible, finish this section before Tuesday, October 28th, when the fourth section will start.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TimovieMan—nice story speculations! I was obstuse with the phone puzzle too. And it even brought back memories of being obtuse in the same place, the first time I played the game.

I’ve also found 2 Codeminion logos. They are very well hidden.

I’m pretty sure that “using a hint” only means actually clicking on the Hint button on the bottom right of the HO screen.

Tim—thanks for your kind words.

Clubberella’s post made me curious, so I tried to get a close-up of the car. This is as good as I could get without some resizing experimentation.

Also, I noticed an image in one of the hotel’s window, viewed from the outside. I suspect this is the Socialite.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 25 October 2014 09:25 PM

Thoughts on the story so far:
- The proprietor killed the previous hotel owner and the old lady killed the mayor.

Yes

TimovieMan - 25 October 2014 09:25 PM

- The old lady aging in the picture, but not the proprietor nor the assistant suggests that they both died at around the time of the flood (possibly by the hands of the old lady), while the old lady lived quite a few years yet before dying (if she’s really dead, that is, but I suspect everyone is, including us).

I don’t think that is it, I believe the young lady said they all stayed in town during the flooding, so I’m fairly certain all 3 drowned in the flood.

Instead I believe that the difference in the two pictures has to do with their defining moment. The Old lady killed her husband many years ago, when she was the age she is shown in the picture at the right, and died many years later in the flood, her age when dying as shown in the picture at the left.

The white dress of the young girl in the right picture looks like a weeding dress, so she was probably left at the alter by the young man who was removed from the picture in our room, she was killed in the flood shortly after, which is why she is the same age but in a different dress. The Hotel owner killed the previous owner and died himself shortly after in the flood, wearing the same clothes on both occasions.

[spoiler]I no longer believe that the young girl is also a killer, instead the reason she is here is because of being abandoned at the alter shortly before dying, sort of a broken-heart tragic ghost instead of punished for her crimes ghost. Hell the flooding might even have been on her wedding day! She did say that she had a very good reason for staying in town during the flooding.[/spoiler]

The Hotel owner probably stayed during the flooding, because he was looking for the same money as the treasure hunter was many years later. I haven’t got any clues as to why the old lady didn’t evacuate, perhaps also because of the money? We do know she as a cold-hearted calculating bitch.

I don’t believe [spoiler]we are dead ourself. Remember the treasure hunter also saw both the hotel owner and the young girl before he died. But I guess it is possible.[/spoiler]

The only problem I have had so far was with the telephone/pet-shop-lock puzzle, but that was because I had pretty much tried everything before I found the coin, so it didn’t occur to me to try the same combination once again.

One thing I find a bit odd, is that one of the achievements say you have to solve x HO/match-3 without using the hint/power button, but it is actually not possible to solve the match-3’s without using the power button?!? Anyway I have started switching between the two, solving as much of the HO as I quickly can and then finishing them as M3, as rtrooney suggested.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You can’t get off the boat at the church tower (yet) so this is your next stop.

In my opinion the game’s best puzzle occurs at this site.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m still playing but just wanted to pop in to say that finding the last (more hidden) note was very clever, and that The Song of the Dead is a great tune - so simple, yet so moody…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Solved the cube puzzle, and eager to continue.
This part may not have revealed a great deal storywise, but it’s gotten us so much closer to solving several of the puzzles that I can almost taste the resolution to this mystery.

I’ve all but solved the diving suit puzzle, got 5 of the 7 locks in the basement open and am really stoked to find out what’s hidden under water and in the church.

It’s really piqued my interest, more than Angelica Weaver did, and I’m rather enjoying the game’s difficulty. Top game so far! (Despite the overreliance on HOGs.) Thumbs Up

I had to switch to Match-3 for the first time, though, because I couldn’t find the shoelaces in that cemetary lodge. Meh

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My guess is that Becky will end the next chapter when you have all seven keys, and have returned from your underwater adventure.

Also remember that the old lady told you her house was across the street from the church. Perhaps a few more things to explore once you’ve donned your diving suit. Wink

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Speaking of faces in windows, you can see some during the HO scene in the school yard.  They get clearer when you move your cursor near them.

I’m ready for the next section.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m ready to go as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 26 October 2014 08:14 AM

Also, I noticed an image in one of the hotel’s window, viewed from the outside. I suspect this is the Socialite.

I don’t remember seeing that image, just as you don’t remember seeing the proprietor in the left pane of the front door. What I do remember seeing is a flickering light in the window to the right in your image. That’s the old lady’s room, I think. I don’t know what to make of the left-pane image except to think that she may not have a room, but a suite. The other part we just haven’t seen.

That seems reasonable. After all we have room 106, which has a bed and bathroom. No reason to think the old lady shouldn’t have similar, but unseen, amenities.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top