• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 19 August 2016 02:43 AM

Well, it’s China. Happy now?  Tongue
Glad I didn’t stay up…

I watched the hockey final. We were the better team, but we only scored two field goals out of 8 good attempts, and scored none of our 4 penalty corners.
They scored two field goals out of 3 good attempts (ok, the last one was in the final seconds when we were all-out attacking without a goalie, but still) and went two for two on penalty corners.

The better team lost because the others were FAR more efficient.

We won silver, and everyone feels like we lost gold.

And then both our taekwondo athletes lose their match for the bronze. Frown

We now have one final shot at a medal in BMX, and that’s it.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

hard luck Belgium ... Taekwondo fighter Hedaya Malak wins third bronze medal for Egypt ...nice

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Man Mgs2 and Deusex perceived this current era of social media and hundreds of people claiming they are more intelligent, just because they have access to google.
Having played them and knowing future, i still got rekt by social engineering.
Its a trap really, catch 22.
I fail so hard.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

What’s eating you, Tom? “I came here to win gold.” So someone else turned out to be faster, deal with it. You’ve never won an Olympic medal before. And you should be happy you were able to participate after you broke your wrist in the Tour.

What’s wrong with you, Daphne? “I gave it all I’ve got.” Yeah, and? So did everybody else. And why didn’t you realize that your recent results were NOT as good as the gold medalist’s results? It was to be expected she would win.

For Pete’s sake, stop your collective crying spell, ladies!  You’ve only got yourselves to blame. Watching the shoot-out was a very painful experience for me.

Thank God for guys like Jelle van Gorkom! Thumbs Up Loved your silver race, Jelle.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

We have medals in both men and women basketball. Right now, we’re the most successful “team sport” (football, basketball, handball, volleyball, water polo, rugby and hockey ) nation (tied with USA with 3 finals, but with one bronze medal already won).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

diego - 20 August 2016 03:43 PM

We have medals in both men and women basketball. Right now, we’re the most successful “team sport” (football, basketball, handball, volleyball, water polo, rugby and hockey ) nation (tied with USA with 3 finals, but with one bronze medal already won).

US vs Serbia for the final. Bring it on Tongue

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Daphne abs are fine.
Only takeaway from that race, you know Jamaicans are hard to beat in sprinting.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

UK has topped their best ever haul of medals and will finish 2nd in the medal table.

Not bad for a small island.

Rio 2016 medal table top three

Gold Silver Bronze Total
USA 43 37 38 118
UK 27 22 17 66
China 26 18 26 70

Cool

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 20 August 2016 08:30 AM

Winning silver? No, losing gold!

Winner mentality, often inherent in top sporters. They hate losing, especially if they feel they are the best.

Schippers was blinded a bit by her win in Beijing last year, though. Her goal should have been “silver or better”, not “gold”. Dumoulin forgot to take his injury into account, imo. And the hockey ladies have a lifetime of sport dominance to get over.
If the USA team ever misses the gold in basketball, they’ll be bawling as well.

Having said that, our own hockey team was disappointed at first as well with their silver medal. Not because it wasn’t an achievement to have gotten silver, but because in comparison, the final was one of their “easier” matches and they were the better team but they got a lesson in efficiency. But at least in their case, the disappointment was only on the night of the final…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There’s so much media hype about the top athletes that some of them have a hard time when they get knocked off their pedestals.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Social media and chatter, takes all the sports spectacle and emotions to the max!
I know many people dont use to be involved in movies,sports and other things as much as now.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 22 August 2016 03:05 AM

Schippers was blinded a bit by her win in Beijing last year, though. Her goal should have been “silver or better”, not “gold”.

LadyK hit the nail on the head, IMO. Everybody here, with the exception of a few experts whose rational comments were ignored, expected Daphne to win. Unrealistic. When she didn’t, people were shocked, there was collective disbelief.

Dumoulin forgot to take his injury into account, imo.

Yes, and that’s something I don’t understand. He was on tv last night. Smiling again, but when the interviewer asked him if he was over his disappointment, the answer was no, not really. He talked at length about how terrible he felt after he broke his wrist during the Tour, wouldn’t be able to go to Rio, it was all over, etcetera. But in the end he does manage to go to Rio and even win silver! It’s like he can’t put things in perspective.

Having said that, our own hockey team was disappointed at first as well with their silver medal. Not because it wasn’t an achievement to have gotten silver, but because in comparison, the final was one of their “easier” matches and they were the better team but they got a lesson in efficiency. But at least in their case, the disappointment was only on the night of the final…

Belgium did very well on the whole. And I loved watching Greg van Avermaet’s fantastic race.

PS: Before Rio predictions were that Holland would win 6 gold medals. We ended up with 8 and only one of those had been predicted. So we did both better and worse than expected. Interesting.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 23 August 2016 04:33 AM

PS: Before Rio predictions were that Holland would win 6 gold medals. We ended up with 8 and only one of those had been predicted. So we did both better and worse than expected. Interesting.

5 of our 6 medals were unexpected.

The hockey team winning a medal is the only one of those that was deemed “probable” before the start. And we didn’t win 3-4 other medals that were considered “highly likely” beforehand…

Sport is unpredictable.

And some of it is luck. If Nibali and Henao didn’t fall at just a few kilometers from the finish, Van Avermaet would’ve been sprinting for 4th place.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

We did worst than expected, only that one bronze medal. But still lots of good perfomances. Basically the fez athletes that a had good chance of medals underperfomed and got 4th or 5th and other underdogs did great but still wasn’t enough for medals.
Still, we broke our record for olympic diplomas so that’s something.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 24 August 2016 07:42 AM

Still, we broke our record for olympic diplomas so that’s something.

We’ll never break our record.
We hosted the event in 1920, at a time when far fewer countries participated, and got a whopping 36 medals (14 gold, 11 silver, 11 bronze). That’s never getting broken.

We should be looking at our post-WWII results, in which case we were now just one bronze medal short of our 1948 record.
No idea where we stand on olympic diploma’s, though.

I’d love a more weighted count where gold is worth like 8 points, silver 5, bronze 3 and a diploma 1 (for instance). Would be interesting to see how the different countries compare then.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top