• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkCarles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 30 August

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The talk in this thread (Advie even says Touché at one point!) perhaps subconsciously gave me an idea for today’s game, but it would feature sooner or later, because Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer is a very dear title to me.

When I was a kid, I had VHS tapes with many versions of The Three Musketeers - whether it’s Michael York as D’Artagnan (that series is hilarious!), or my favorite - Gene Kelly. Smile Touché is, interestingly, the only adventure that tackles the theme (?), and luckily for all musketeer-wannabes, while not perfect, it’s still a solid title.

Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first - all characters in the game look the same! The same! I mean, if they’re young musketeers, they’re all twin brothers! Every blacksmith in France, not only has the EXACTLY same smithy, but also the identical facial features!! (thus, the self-irony in the screenshot) And every man in The Renaissance aged in the same manner, as all older characters are look-alikes! Humor might be hit and miss for some (but not if you take it in the relaxed way, as it is obvious the designers were having fun creating the game), and someone might be disappointed that the story bears little connection to Dumas classic (D’Artagnan is an officer in Rouen where your character, musketeer Geoffroi Le Brun is assigned).

But still, the simple formula works well-enough to keep you occupied: None of the game elements here is on some high, exceptional level - but in conjunction, the atmosphere that is presented from the intro locks you in some crazy, pseudo-history diorama. Even the world, locations… are not that rich or numerous, but there’s still the “epic” feel, and the game is certainly not short. Nothing about the puzzles (just like the game itself) is groundbreaking, but you can be sure that, no matter how many inventory puzzles you solved, you’ll still find it interesting (I mean, at one point you carry a dead body as an inventory item!). And I saved the best for last - Henri, the manservant, and soon after the game starts - your sidekick, continued the fine line of sidekicks in adventures and possibly, marked the spot where sidekicks started to be more prominent in games, and with few titles that would mimic the Black Adder&Jeeves; and Wooster-esque “idiot hero and sarcastic sidekick” later on. And to connect to the story from the first sentence, Henri also has his own inventory (though not really a “playable character”), and object-switching is surely to be of Advie’s taste - it’s not overdone, but those couple of times are the best puzzles in the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve never played the game but I’ve always liked the look of it graphically so an interesting game for me for you to post diego - it sounds like something I would enjoy!  Smile

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Why don’t you nominate it for a CP, diego. I’ll support you. It may not be the world’s best adventure, but it’s fun.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5586

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Is it a DOS game?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, it is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

never tried, but its title is very famous or at least common,  many timez been brought into these forums ,  nevertheless its screens being used at the AGS-uh-games))))) thread a lot,  i want to give it a try on my mobile (which is my fav console to play AGs nowaday, after my iPad.
does is work well under android Dos emulator?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Karlok - 30 August 2015 05:19 PM

Yes, it is.

Good!  It might work in Boxer for me, assuming I can find a copy of the game.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 August 2015 11:12 PM
Karlok - 30 August 2015 05:19 PM

Yes, it is.

You can find a few copies on amazon, ebay and gametz, but the bad news is that you need deep pockets. I used to go to German ebay for some rare games, like the wonderful U.F.O.s and Touché, because the localized versions were very cheap and still had the original English voices. But even the German version will now cost you one hundred dollars.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

ScummVM supports it as well.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

chrissie - 30 August 2015 01:12 PM

I’ve never played the game but I’ve always liked the look of it graphically so an interesting game for me for you to post diego - it sounds like something I would enjoy!  Smile

Still one of my favourite games, and I am sure you would enjoy the game. There’s seems to be also a Windows version of the game, but is even more rare than the DOS version. I still have an extra copy, but’s German (have to check if it has English subtitles, I guess it has, as the manual has an English part), and you can have it if you want.  I wouldn’t blame anyone though if they download the game (I don’t think anyone owns the rights of the game anymore), but perhaps I provoke a moderator by saying this.

For some more info about the game see the old site Game Nostalgia (that offers also a demo and an interview with the background artist). You’l need Flash though. The game also runs on ScummVM I believe, but I haven’t checked this (used DOSBox myself). (Edit: oops beaten while typing this).

@ Diego It’s indeed also funny, all those twin brothers, but I suspect it was originally just a financial problem. The sidekick was great indeed, much better than e.g. Mossop in The Gene Machine (and Touché is also more well-balanced). Sadly, they didn’t do much with the two inventories that you mention, as far as I remember.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

mart - 31 August 2015 05:47 AM

I still have an extra copy, but’s German (have to check if it has English subtitles, I guess it has, as the manual has an English part)

In my German version everything, except the original English voices and the multilingual manual, is in German. Which is weird at first because you’re listening to English-speaking characters while reading German subtitles and using German on-screen commands.

See here

EDIT: I should have realized that the unvoiced German dialogue tree makes the localised version unplayable for people who don’t speak German. Frown

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sadly, they didn’t do much with the two inventories that you mention, as far as I remember.

Yes, absolutely. There’s only 2? occasions where you need to switch items. I forgot it, apart from the puzzle at the monastery.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 31 August 2015 05:30 AM

ScummVM supports it as well.

Thanks for letting me know, Kuru.  Scumm is so much easier to use.

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

chrissie - 30 August 2015 01:12 PM

Still one of my favourite games, and I am sure you would enjoy the game. There’s seems to be also a Windows version of the game, but is even more rare than the DOS version. I still have an extra copy, but’s German (have to check if it has English subtitles, I guess it has, as the manual has an English part), and you can have it if you want.

Hi mart, thank you, that’s very generous of you & I’d love to have the game - please see your PM!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Do you speak German, chrissie?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 30 August 2015 01:35 PM

Why don’t you nominate it for a CP, diego. I’ll support you. It may not be the world’s best adventure, but it’s fun.

I think Touche only stands a chance as the unofficial playthrough. I even ANNOUNCED IT! Tongue
Then again, we had this debate also. Wink Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top