• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 1 August

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Tales of Monkey Island, not bad, but coulda, woulda, shoulda…

p.s. today’s AGSOTG was to feature a lion to follow up on Cecil the Lion popularity, but I failed to find one (did you realize it’s always lion statue, lion head/paw talisman, and NEVER an actual lion in the game?!). Still, the character looks kinda like lion…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lots of hype was surrounding this game, due to the fact that Telltale was founded by some of the folks who worked on the Lucas Arts older MK games. It was better than escape in my opinion, but no where as good as the original trilogy.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

diego - 01 August 2015 01:31 PM

p.s. today’s AGSOTG was to feature a lion to follow up on Cecil the Lion popularity, but I failed to find one (did you realize it’s always lion statue, lion head/paw talisman, and NEVER an actual lion in the game?!). Still, the character looks kinda like lion…

Simon the Sorcerer II? Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes? The Liontaurs in the Quest for Glory series? Ace Attorney 2? The 11th Hour?

(We really need to revive that thread.)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 01 August 2015 02:07 PM

Simon the Sorcerer II? Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes? The Liontaurs in the Quest for Glory series? Ace Attorney 2? The 11th Hour?

Partypooper! Shifty Eyed Grin

SoccerDude28 - 01 August 2015 01:37 PM

It was better than escape

You know, I wouldn’t go even that far. They’re different. But still, I always liked the “non-linearity” in Monkey Island games and the whole idea of freedom when you’re on island, or even freedom to travel between islands at your disposal (MI2 utilized it to the extreme). Tales of MI is simply too “light” on that sense, much lighter even than Escape. Being episodic didn’t help, either - do this here, then proceed here, then when you’re finished there go to this island, then you’re stuck with 2 locations until you’re done… It’s too much of a straight line. There’s still some degree of freedom for separate islands, but it’s just not enough IMO, being spoiled by previous games in the series.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

SoccerDude28 - 01 August 2015 01:37 PM

It was better than escape in my opinion, but no where as good as the original trilogy.

A sequel or a “season two” would be nice, but no… Telltale is far too busy making Minecraft Story Mode Meh

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Abnaxus - 01 August 2015 07:21 PM

A sequel or a “season two” would be nice, but no… Telltale is far too busy making Minecraft Story Mode Meh

...which will probably outsell anything Monkey Island related 10-to-1. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, I for once liked Tales. Not as much as the original trilogy, but I still consider it a good, solid game with smart humour, good riddles, interesting storylime, the best character development in the entire series, loveable art style and p&c controls. I don’t need anything more from a MI game.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Ahh.. tales of Monkey Island, the last good game that Telltale made, a pity they will never make anything like this again.
Sorry, but it has to be said.

Not in anyway a bad game. I do however agree that the main problem with it, is that the episodic format meant that it became much more linear than the other games in the series.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played the first two episodes of the series and liked them very much but then got side-tracked by other things and haven’t finished it yet.  I bought the deluxe edition in the treasure box with all the extra goodies, which is fun to have.  Since I have not played any of the other MI games, I have no point of comparison as to gameplay, but so far I’ve been having fun with it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 August 2015 11:16 AM

I have not played any of the other MI games

I’ve played them all (a couple of times).
Except Tales.

BTW, I’m one of the few people who really enjoyed Escape from Monkey Island.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I own Escape from MI but will have to fire up my old iMac to play it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 02 August 2015 11:19 AM

I’ve played them all (a couple of times).
Except Tales.

BTW, I’m one of the few people who really enjoyed Escape from Monkey Island.

^ This.

All of it. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: Home ����� Forum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top