• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AR-K and Really Bad Adventure Games U Like Anyway

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I knew the reviews of this game say it is a terrible game and it is indeed as terrible as the reviewers say.

Hey, I do buy some adventure games simply because they are cheap and sometimes a cheap gamble pays off.

This game is one of them - I am enjoying playing this awful game. It’s happened before too.

I once reviewed an adventure game and it was only positive review it got - and I only gave it 2 and 1/2 stars, but I enjoyed it and still have it to this day.

Sometimes - like with AR-K you just enjoy the game and are happy with the purchase despite all of the games obvious flaws:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/ar-k-episode-1-pc-review-orbital-decay

Does anyone else have a game that got less than stellar reviews they enjoyed anyway?

Heart Eyes

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There are some games that you know are terrible but something is compelling you to finish it. I felt this with Teenagent. This game expects you to grab something off a hedgehog’s back by swapping it out with a fake apple. There’s really no story or logic worth mentioning and the music is nails on a chalkboard but it’s so low effort to play and very short. I wanted to see how crazy it would get while trying to figure out if this game was deliberately trolling me. There was this low grade charm to it.

It’s the same reason I still like those Hugo & Penelope games.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Awh, AR-K is not terrible. Most of the critique it got was for the original version of chapter 1, which had a lot more problems than the later versions. It’s not perfect, but the flaws are mostly nitpicking. It’s a fun game and the majority of the puzzles are pretty good. The story isn’t of course finished yet but it has promise too.

Clearly better than average in my eyes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

The Black Mirror.

Just so, so much wrong with it. Terrible voice-acting, a terribly obvious from very early on plot twist, incredibly annoying “quirks” that leave you wandering aimlessly for minutes at a time.

And for all that, I still found it utterly compulsive gaming. 

Wierd…

Also, the Leisure Suit Larry remake is WAY more fun than reviews gave it credit for.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It all depends, just like with movies, what kind of bad were talking here. Is it just technically bad, which can make playing it unbearable, or is it bad because of the writing and acting, which can make bad things unintentionally hilarious, like Cognition for an example which made me laugh more than many intentionally comedic games.

The worst thing is if the game, or movie, is just boringly bad. The kind that it’s just bad, but it has nothing in it that would make you at least laugh at how bad it is. Moebius falls in this category for me. It was just all around bad, but not in an amusing manner.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I don’t really want to comment on the game per se, especially since the developers aren’t native English speakers and apparently a lot has been lost in translation, but I did laughy my butt off watching Giant Bomb’s AR-K quicklook. I mean yeah they were kinda mean to the game, but it’s a funny way to spend an hour Smile

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Mystery of the Druids fits the bill for me!

I completely get why everyone thinks it’s a terrible game, and I have to admit that in many ways it is, but I still think it’s great! I just like the main character and the (unintentionally) farcical way in which the story progresses just makes me smile every time. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Fortunately I haven’t played many truly bad games and the one’s I did play I’ve mercifully forgotten, but Return to Zork would fit the bill.  Wildly inappropriate music, the worst interface of any game ever that an octopus would have trouble dealing with, an ugly maze of exactly the same scenery and the feeling of being completely lost most of the time.  But then there was the “Want some rye?  ‘Course you do” puzzle that became a classic and still draws me back.

Dark Seed was actually a good game for it’s time and I have to include it in my list of favorites but it has an inexplicable hold on me.  Whenever I build a new system it’s the first game I install and wind up having to tweak for hours to get it to play properly.  Maybe that’s why I like it so much because it’s such a challenge.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mikekelly - 28 May 2015 11:15 PM

Does anyone else have a game that got less than stellar reviews they enjoyed anyway?

Not really, I have of course played plenty of games that got mediocre or mixed reviews, that I personally still enjoyed, but this is more a case of me disagreeing with (some of) the reviewers.

I have also played a couple of games that uniformly got terrible reviews, but in those cases I always ended up agreeing with the reviewers.

But a game where I agreed that it was terrible, but I still enjoyed playing it? I can’t think of a single one!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

OK, AR-K Episode 1 has the following:

1) Bugs - yep, pretty buggy.

2) Dated graphics, yep - at best equal to a 3DO game released in 1996 in quality.

3) Illogical puzzles, yep got those too - in spades.

Well, why like the game? I find the dialog to be great, well written and funny. Someone did a great job here and I commend them.

And hay, when a game is .99 - 2.99 in cost I am easily amused.

One thing the ipad has going for it is lots of inexpensive games. You start thinking a game at $9.99 - $14.99 is expensive - and I can recall buying used old TAC games at that price at one time. Some of those were really bad and a handful were simply amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I actually disagree that AR-K is a bad game but that’s maybe because I really enjoyed the story and dialogue and those are the most important for me in any game…

In term of graphics, they are dated but adequate… I find them to be better than Moebius (I can still remember those teeths and unnatural animation), the graphics from AR-K served their purpose without bothering me.

So I enjoyed it but I don’t find it to be terrible… It’s average and while it has its flaws I don’t believe that they are worse than a lot of adventure game that were reviewed 3-3.5 stars ( incidentally that’s the score I’d give)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

There are several games which have reviews on AG below 2.5 (a ‘passing’ grade) and which I thought were good.

Beavis & Butthead Do U - 1.5 stars
I thought this was a fun game. I’m a fan of Mike Judge’s cartoons and the game has a good simple story and above average puzzles.

Hugo’s House of Horrors - 1.5 stars
The last time I played this was over 20 years ago, but I have fond memories of the game.

Dreamweb - 1.5 stars
This is a quality adventure, the unique top-down perspective and cyberpunk atmosphere made this a really memorable one for me.

Starship Titanic - 2 stars
I don’t know what drugs the reviewer was on, because this game rocks - enough said.

RHEM 2 - 2 stars
Excellent, excellent game for 1st person slideshow fans. Probably my equal favorite RHEM along with #3.

Broken Sword 2 - 2 stars
That bad, huh? I wonder what score Angel of Death would get.

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

It’s not a Point & Click adventure game, but I really loved the game “Overblood” on PS1.
Back then, people called it a ripoff of Resident Evil, but even with its dated graphics, I really enjoyed it overall. A great science fiction game with great puzzles, gives time to think, some good action sequences, and which allows you to control three very different characters (including a funny robot)

As for Point & Click, a recent memory would be Alter Ego. It got bad reviews, and it deserved it. I disliked the lack of interactivity, the graphics, and that ending… Oh my. Abrupt and bad, even worse that Broken Sword 4’s ending! That made feel like playing the game was a total waste of time.

But somehow, I still liked it overall. I think there’s no adventure game that I really disliked, because the genre itself is great.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve played Overblood, I though it was at best OK - and yes, it is indeed very similar to Resident Evil.

It sold well enough to do a sequel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OverBlood_2

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually disagree that AR-K is a bad game but that’s maybe because I really enjoyed the story and dialogue and those are the most important for me in any game…

In term of graphics, they are dated but adequate… I find them to be better than Moebius (I can still remember those teeths and unnatural animation), the graphics from AR-K served their purpose without bothering me.

So I enjoyed it but I don’t find it to be terrible… It’s average and while it has its flaws I don’t believe that they are worse than a lot of adventure game that were reviewed 3-3.5 stars ( incidentally that’s the score I’d give)

I finished chapter one and liked it so much I bought chapter two. This chapter has much higher reviews so I’m looking forward to the play through.

Heart

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

One game that received terrible reviews when it was released and that I enjoyed a lot was Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh. It was bleak, gloomy and downright depressing to play, but I don’t know why, I liked it a lot. I think I even loved it.

Perhaps it’s because the game dared to show all kinds of crazy things, from graphic murders to sex and nudity, all the way to science fiction horror. Oh, and S&M clubs. Let’s not forget the S&M clubs. Good times.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top