• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 December 2014 01:14 PM

I got Polly, although at first I thought I killed the poor thing.

I have to say, I love Rincewind’s comment when you look at Polly in the inventory. “I wonder if she needs another cracker. Hehehehehe!”

Dag - 16 December 2014 11:49 AM

Got the birthmark!
I got stuck for quite a while because, for some reason, the starch was no longer in my inventory, and I didn’t notice it was gone at first. I know for sure I had picked it up before, but it must’ve escaped and went back to the closet. I guess it wasn’t ready to come out Tongue

I’m puting my money that you loaded a different saved game. Very common mistake in Disc.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Up to this moment, only TimovieMan and Dag have th birthmark.
Lady K was in search of a whistle (in the right step nevertheless), Iznogood was last seen throwing eggs/tomatoes/I really don’t want to know what to a poor donkey and Duck of Doom has been silent for a while….Any progress thus far?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Sefir - 16 December 2014 02:22 PM

I’m puting my money that you loaded a different saved game. Very common mistake in Disc.

Yeap, that’s probably it. I know now that the latest save is always the bottom one (in ScummVM) Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Wow!  I never knew bungee jumping could be so much fun!  Obviously, I now have the tattoo, and in my travels I also scraped some soot off the mural in the Shades.  Is this the camoflage?

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 17 December 2014 02:43 PM

...in my travels I also scraped some soot off the mural in the Shades.  Is this the camoflage?

Yes Lady K! That’s it! Smile

I’ll give a few hours more before announcing the final part of the game! Smile

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Ok people!! Time to finish this!!

There are 3 quest items to be found!! Only one is a hard one!! The magic sword!!
The other 2 are easy to find and most of you perhaps have one or both of them already.
After all quest items are acquired then ACT IV begins where you only have to do a couple of actions to finish it. Of course there is no timeline this time. Finish the game already!! Grin

I would like to thank all people who took part in this playthrough. It was by far the hardest I ever done and perhaps a proof that there is no “unsuitable for a CP” game. Also one of the funniest.

Useful Tips coming through!! Smile

Tip 1: What? You don’t have the Magic Spell yet? It is in the most obvious place you would expect a spellbook to be. Prepare for HEAVY pixel-hunting. And if you get really frustrated…The sleazy guy left you a present in the shelves behind the place where he used to stand Wink
Tip 2: What? You don’t have Camel-flage yet? Have you looked in the Shades?
Tip 3: What? You don’t know where to find a sword that goes “tink”? Totally understandable, since it is totally unfairly hidden. You have to take the crank out of the well in the woods and then use it in the Palace’s Dungeons. You know where Naughty
Tip 4: The screwdriver is the most useful item in finding the magic sword. It will be used more than once.
Tip 5: Hmm…a sword that goes “ploink”. Grin Needs to be fixed. Have you met any master swordsmiths around? Any P&P RPG/Lord of the Rings/RPG games fan can tell you which race is supposed to be superior in that department. Have you met anyone recently? A tall one maybe?
Tip 6: I noticed that the grand majority of participants here have also been in the CCS playthrough 2 years ago. Remember Pyotr’s door? Remember the funniest interaction (out of many) you could have with it? That’s right. It might work in Disc too. Search for a specific door in Ankh-Morpork…
Tip 7: See Tip 4.
Tip 8: Before facing the Dragon, search for a more suitable “weapon”. Take the key from the defenseless Lady first. Naughty
Tip 9: Before leaving the square, talk to anyone you can there. Also, have you ever heard of the famous Discworld easter egg? Kurufinwe once tried and didn’t find it… (http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1765/) I didn’t find it either…
Tip 9: This “weapon” needs to be “loaded” with “ammunition” twice before being ready to use. There are 3 places in Disc where this “ammunition” can be found.
Tip 10: Mumbo wants a cracker!
Tip 11: Make love, not war.
Tip 12: Enjoy the credits.  Wink

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yipee!  I made it to Act IV!  I loved the dialogue with Cyril the bogeyman and learning about his deprived childhood.  I had to fetch the elderberry wine twice because Luggage drank it all the first timeGrin Oh, and Rincewind looks very silly with the moustache.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I made it to act 4 and I managed to recreate the dead end. This time I made sure to make a save game before that point. And guess what I did when attempting to reload to the point before the dead end? I accidentally pushed “save” instead of “load” and ended up overwriting the save in the unwinnable state (the save before that was at the start of the act, so I didn’t have to do too much backtracking, but still… Tongue

Anyway, I’ve finished the game now, and it was a blast!

How to deadend: If you use the lit firecracker on the dragonling before you’ve used it on the cauldron, the firecrackers, both the single lit one, and the bundle of firecrackers will be gone from the inventory, and if you try to pick up more of them, Rincewind will inaccurately respond “I already have one of those” and there’ll be no way to initiate the end sequence

Another thing I’ve been doing countless times during the playthrough - double clicking a door to exit the room - which closes the door instead (I seem to have a build-in habit of double clicking to exit a room). Then I have to double click the door to open it again, but then I double click it again to try to exit the room (which as mentioned, closes the door), and I get trapped in this doormudian (yes, that’s a word!) triangle. I kept telling my brain: “single click, single click”, but it wouldn’t listen!... Tongue

I’ve also kept getting stuck in these dialogian (yes, also a word) triangles. When I accidentally click on an excrutiatingly long conversation topic that I’ve already heard, and I begin spamming left clicks to skip the lines, then the cursor always reappears over the same topic when the NPC is done talking, and I accidentally click the same topic again (because I’m still spamming the skip-button) and I’m right back where I started, having to skip through the same conversation again. Near the end I try slowing down the pace of the clicks, but nooo, one click too many, the topic is back on again and I’m trapped! Tongue

Am I the only one that have been doing these things? Tongue

I’ve really enjoyed this playthrough, I remembered almost nothing from the last three acts, but I must admit that the “that doesn’t work” became quite grating as I progressed. I tried keeping track of the number of “that doesn’t work”‘s I encountered, but lost count somewhere around 350, and that was someplace in act 2. Tongue 99,9% of the time, I knew what Rincewind was gonna say If I attempted to make any kind of combination which, suffice to say, took some fun out of figuring out what to do without looking at the hints in this thread.

Couldn’t have done it without Sefirs hints, and it wouldn’t have been this fun without the input of everyone that participated. Thank you all for a fun CP, and a special thanks to Sefir for a job well done as the playthrough leader! Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yay!  I finished the game.  What a fun ending! 

To skip a long dialogue, you could have clicked anywhere on the screen, Dag, not just in the dialogue bar, which would have kept you from repeating. 

I didn’t encounter any deadends because I didn’t think to try a firecracker on the dragonette until the last act.  (Thanks for that hint, Sefir!)  However, I did have Rincewind disappear during the last scene while he was standing in front of the dragon.  I was trying to load the custard into the dragonette instead of just clicking the tart on the dragon when I heard him say, “Stuck, are we?” but couldn’t see him until I clicked again to move him.

Thanks for all your guidance through this, Sefir.  I think it would have been a more frustrating game if I had attempted some of those wacky puzzles without your hints.  As it was, I had a blast with it Grin and now know how to use ScummVM for some other old games I have!

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

I´m sorry for the lack of feedback. I had an end-term project this week, and some problems with my internet connection as well. But I´m on top of it; as far as I can see, I just have to find the spell and maybe the big rock? I even accidently triggered the end scene, without having most of the hero items, so I know how to end it.  Crazy

And you are not the only one Dag. I´ve been doing the exact same two things, again and again. Pan

Well, school´s out- let´s finish this!  Angry

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 18 December 2014 09:40 PM

Another thing I’ve been doing countless times during the playthrough - double clicking a door to exit the room - which closes the door instead (I seem to have a build-in habit of double clicking to exit a room). Then I have to double click the door to open it again, but then I double click it again to try to exit the room (which as mentioned, closes the door), and I get trapped in this doormudian (yes, that’s a word!) triangle. I kept telling my brain: “single click, single click”, but it wouldn’t listen!... Tongue

Happened to me most often with the front gate outside the Unseen University… Smile

I’ve also kept getting stuck in these dialogian (yes, also a word) triangles. When I accidentally click on an excrutiatingly long conversation topic that I’ve already heard, and I begin spamming left clicks to skip the lines, then the cursor always reappears over the same topic when the NPC is done talking, and I accidentally click the same topic again (because I’m still spamming the skip-button) and I’m right back where I started, having to skip through the same conversation again. Near the end I try slowing down the pace of the clicks, but nooo, one click too many, the topic is back on again and I’m trapped! Tongue

Didn’t happen that often, but I probably clicked through the tattooed sailor’s speech 5 times in a row… Tongue

I’ve really enjoyed this playthrough, I remembered almost nothing from the last three acts, but I must admit that the “that doesn’t work” became quite grating as I progressed.

I agree. The same goes for “Nope. I can’t shift it.”.

Couldn’t have done it without Sefirs hints, and it wouldn’t have been this fun without the input of everyone that participated. Thank you all for a fun CP, and a special thanks to Sefir for a job well done as the playthrough leader! Smile

I agree!

Of course, I still have to finish the game. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 December 2014 10:44 PM

To skip a long dialogue, you could have clicked anywhere on the screen, Dag, not just in the dialogue bar, which would have kept you from repeating. 

I’m fairly confident that this^ is wrong, and that the cursor doesn’t just go invisible, but is also locked in place over the selected topic during the dialogue, thus reappearing over said topic once it’s over (I tried several times to move the cursor faaaar away from the dialogue box while skipping lines, but it reappeared on top of the same topic every time).

Duck of Doom - 19 December 2014 05:41 AM

And you are not the only one Dag. I´ve been doing the exact same two things, again and again. Pan

Haha!  Thumbs Up  Grin

TimovieMan - 19 December 2014 06:40 AM

Happened to me most often with the front gate outside the Unseen University… Smile

That’s the worst place to do it! Setting off that animation where Rincewind demonstrates his casting skills (or lack thereof) Tongue Fortunately, the animation can be skipped, but that matters little when the next thing I do is to close the door again -.- After L-space I used the hole in the library whenever exiting/entering UU… those main gates got the better of me Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The talk of a potential dead end in Act IV has got me worried.

I’ve got my “M16” rifle but it needs ammunition. Is that why the dragon is gone? Is it only reappearing when I’m good and ready for it?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 20 December 2014 04:44 PM

The talk of a potential dead end in Act IV has got me worried.

I’ve got my “M16” rifle but it needs ammunition. Is that why the dragon is gone? Is it only reappearing when I’m good and ready for it?

The dragon should appear once you’re ready. There are several places to find ammunition.

Tip 1: Think of barbeque
Tip 2: You need more than one round of ammo.

I’ve been fiddling around with it some more to make sure I got this right. The dead end only seem to happen if you use the lit firecracker with the dragonling in any other place than the Square with all the people. The order in which you “load the ammo” does not seem to matter afterall.

Edit: I’ve found at least three places with ammo (coal), there may be more that I’ve missed, (but you only need two).

Btw, did you notice Terry Pratchett himself in the crowd at the square?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished!

Good thing I was informed about the firecracker bug, or I’d have to replay Act IV multiple times (or maybe worse, since I didn’t really save that much during the game).

Dag - 20 December 2014 07:56 PM

Btw, did you notice Terry Pratchett himself in the crowd at the square?

Not knowing what Terry Pratchett looks like, I didn’t until five minutes ago. I’ve noticed him now, though.

Has everyone talked to the “strange man” in the crowd? Tongue

Oh, and since practically every character is on that square, where is the street urchin starfish?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top