• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 20 June 2016 07:07 PM

Motion sickness is in my book both a more valid reason for whining, and in my experience people that does suffer from it tend to not whine about it, but instead just either avoid the games that they know will cause problems, or soldier through it if they want to play the game badly enough.

Iznogood, there was plenty enough gamers that suffer from motion sickness for Frogwares to re-master their Sherlock Holmes games on account of it which would never have happened if those gamers had just shut-up & never mentioned it instead of expressing why they couldn’t get along with the interface. Call us whiners if you like but the more accessible an AG is the more players there are to buy & play it - FW realised that!  Laughing

As it is I’ve finished Book 1 playing many hours yesterday (soldiering through as I wanted to play it badly enough) & concluding it with a few more comfortable hours today.
I don’t want to put anyone off so I will just say that the interface is very smooth when it’s working properly & the trick is to just walk (rather than run) everywhere to avoid any ‘dizziness’ but unfortunately I found the game glitchy where quite frequently when you’re moving the game will suddenly either ‘go slow’ or freeze, then whizz everything around If you try to proceed so the trick there is just to wait until it settles down - it seems to be a common problem something to do with frame-rates I think I read?

I love the game so far & the choice & consequence aspect which unlike other games I’ve played do seem to make a difference. The glorious world of Propast is something else to behold & I managed to see most of it - slooowly! Highlights for me were apart from the amazing environment of Propast the interaction with Shitbot & meeting the little girl that Zoe saved in the dream from the tentacle monster in the wardrobe

Most infuriating parts were the use of the map ‘machines’ which I found very useful but when you could see where you needed to go it was on occasion not as easy as ‘how the crow flies’ (& NO!, I don’t mean that crow. Laughing ) as you can see that where you want to go is not too far away but you have to go ‘all around the houses’ to get there. 

Iznogood - 20 June 2016 07:21 AM

They have removed quite a few puzzles from the first book, and are probably planning on removing more from the game *sigh*

Yes, I don’t know how many puzzles were removed but I was stuck at the very beginning & after peaking at a walkthrough (an older one) thought I’d missed doing something & restarted to find it wasn’t there to do!

EDIT: Zoe seems to recognise a lot of people in Propast were they perhaps all dreamers she came across whilst in her coma?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 21 June 2016 01:59 PM

Motion sickness is in my book both a more valid reason for whining, and in my experience people that does suffer from it tend to not whine about it, but instead just either avoid the games that they know will cause problems, or soldier through it if they want to play the game badly enough.

Iznogood, there was plenty enough gamers that suffer from motion sickness for Frogwares to re-master their Sherlock Holmes games on account of it which would never have happened if those gamers had just shut-up & never mentioned it instead of expressing why they couldn’t get along with the interface. Call us whiners if you like ...

I didn’t Wink

I don’t think you fully understood what I meant with my last post, so let me try to clarify it a bit.

Chapters has received a ton of criticism for all the running - NOT from people complaining about motion sickness, in fact you are one of the very few to bring up motion sickness - BUT from people who are simply too lazy to run from A to B themselves.

It is those lazy bastards I call whiners Tongue
- not whoever might be suffering from motion sickness.

... it seems to be a common problem something to do with frame-rates I think I read?

Most of the frame-rate problems disappeared with the Unity upgrade, but if you have problems then tweaking the settings and especially reducing the “shadow distance” to about 8 meters should help a lot.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 21 June 2016 06:30 PM

........Call us whiners if you like ........

I didn’t Wink

I know you didn’t Iznogood!  Thumbs Up It was just a general (non-personal) response to your comment that indicates that most gamers suffering from motion sickness tend not to make a big deal of it - MY perception being that you could be thought as a ‘whiner’ on daring to mention the affliction!   

Chapters has received a ton of criticism for all the running - NOT from people complaining about motion sickness, in fact you are one of the very few to bring up motion sickness - BUT from people who are simply too lazy to run from A to B themselves.

I loved the large immersive free 3D environment myself (despite) but my thought is that perhaps it’s less to do with laziness on the part of many players & more to do with lack of enjoyment for them of running from A to B?  Surely the ideal thing would have been to retain the free-roaming environments along with a map to instantly go to a destination so you can dabble between the 2 options?  which has worked well in other games old & new! - it would’ve catered for the explorer/wanderer & also suited the afflicted as well as the lazy!  Laughing 

... it seems to be a common problem something to do with frame-rates I think I read?

Most of the frame-rate problems disappeared with the Unity upgrade, but if you have problems then tweaking the settings and especially reducing the “shadow distance” to about 8 meters should help a lot.

Thanks for the advice Iznogood! Smile 

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I’m a huge fan of this saga! TLJ is one of my top 5 favorite adventure games. I also very much enjoyed Dreamfall. A few months ago I got a new computer and finally able to play Dreamfall: Chapters! I was shocked to be able to get the entirety for less than $12 Gasp Heart Eyes I’m currently in chapter 3 of book 1, Propast. Definitely enjoying all there is to see and hear and experience. I’m a bit overwhelmed with all the choices though! I’m the type that likes to see everything and make all choices so it looks like I’ve got my hands full for a bit! All and all looking forward to the conclusion of this amazing story!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I don’t know… I just finished the Book 5 and I got the feeling that something was missing. I expected more about TLJ and Dreamfall in order of the Balance and the 2 worlds. I’m a bit disapointed with the conclusion and it points for another Chapter….

And I agree with your review, Iznogood. I felt the same in most of the points you pointed.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UruBoo - 24 June 2016 09:32 PM

I don’t know.I got the feeling that something was missing. I expected more about TLJ and Dreamfall in order of the Balance and the 2 worlds. I’m a bit disapointed with the conclusion and it points for another

I heard this,

In other post he is still high on continuing saga arc.

Real life zoe,

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 25 June 2016 02:32 AM

I heard this,

Nothing new about that, they already announced that several months ago.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 25 June 2016 06:32 PM
nomadsoul - 25 June 2016 02:32 AM

I heard this,

Nothing new about that, they already announced that several months ago.

He also said he wont go episodic months ago so better to have reconfirmation.
Pan

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

RTG communicated gradually more insecurity about The Longest Journey Home and are now pretty damn sure it will never happen.

For them, it would be a fairly easy homerun if it was done. People are more invested into April Ryan than they ever were into Zoë, and a 2D adventure game is much more manageable than the 3D stuff they did for the last three years. Besides, I’d much welcome a return to LucasArtsy puzzles, preferably the “all in” variant. Wink

We could look to FunCom for a reason why it’s not happening right now - it would look odd to them if a separate studio made their IP into its sole revenue stream. RTG took an additional 20 months of development time. I won’t argue much with the result, but what license agreements do when time passes is this: they expire.

Either FunCom decides to do another TLJ out of the blue, or the fans of the series will have to go into hibernation. Things could look different in five years. Who knows, who knows.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Vainamoinen - 26 June 2016 04:53 PM

RTG communicated gradually more insecurity about The Longest Journey Home and are now pretty damn sure it will never happen.

Damn sure he was when asking stretch goal for TLJHmonths ago.
And starting new KS , as you said *See below*
What would have been the case if he had got funded?
After Dreamfallchapters, he himself is reluctant for new KS for obvious reason.

Vainamoinen - 26 June 2016 04:53 PM

wont argue much with the result, but what license agreements do when time passes is this: they expire.

Either FunCom decides to do another TLJ out of the blue, or the fans of the series will have to go into hibernation. Things could look different in five years. Who knows, who knows.

But you said it was a good thing.
And was sure years ago.
Now who knows?

“Actually, it’s a good thing that it was never reached (and it WAS never reached).
RTG and Ragnar in particular have stated that there will be a separate Kickstarter for TLJH. The Kickstarter was meant to begin BEFORE Chapters is out, but that could be dated information seeing that RTG now has Draugen on their plate as well.

TLJH will come, make no mistake”.

I heard,

http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/277-longest-journey-home-stretch-goal/

Grin

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It was my impression that it was mainly because they wanted to do something different after working on Chapters for so long.

If there are any license problems with Funcom, then I’m sure they could be solved if it was something that RTG really wanted to do. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

nomadsoul - 26 June 2016 06:04 PM

That is extremely unlikely - at least not in any foreseeable future.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

I heard,

Of course you did, two years ago, seven days before DFC’s switch to an episodic schedule was even announced. As I said, things have changed considerably since then.

Iznogood - 26 June 2016 06:05 PM

It was my impression that it was mainly because they wanted to do something different after working on Chapters for so long.

That may be true on top of all other things. And RTG really shouldn’t be the “one IP”-Studio.

That is extremely unlikely.

He was quoting me from the official RTG forum, from a 2014 post. I admit, it was very confusing. Smile

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

2,5 stars review.. Ouch!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it was obvious since the review started long ago.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Yea, I haven`t read the actual review at all yet, because I wanted to play first Dreamfall first and only begin the Chapters after all the episodes were released. I still have quite high hopes for Chapters Grin

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top