• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Planescape Kickstarter?

Poll: Would You Want This To Happen?
Total Votes: 29
Yes
No
Maybe
What’s Planescape?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

That voiceacting , text, writing,music , atmosphere etc.
They are delivering…take your time.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

It looks so good, they nailed the atmosphere, it feels just like a Torment game, love the colors too.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Did somebody get a hold on Tides Of Numenera? Any opinions?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m 8 hours into it, and still not quite sure how I feel about it. The world is strange and rather fascinating, and the story pretty interesting (although the whole thing being centred around your character’s previous lives feels a bit too close to PS:T for my taste).

The gameplay, on the other hand, feels weird, and not in a good way. The 8 hours I’ve played have been nothing but talking, talking and more talking, with numerous skill checks in the middle of the conversations.

The game has a system that allows you to get better results at the skill checks by spending effort points, but those only replenish by consuming specific items (which cost a lot of money) or by sleeping (which you get punished for, as certain quests become unwinnable as time passes). So, when you’re not just methodically exploring and going through those endless conversation trees, you’re trying to guess whether you should spend effort points on a specific skill check—and wondering whether you’ll end up wasting points for a small result, or regretting that succeeding at the skill check allowed you to skip half the quest.

And then you keep finding all sorts of combat-related equipment and consumables, but I’ve only encountered one fight (which was a mess and in which I promptly got killed), so it’s hard to feel interested in that (but I don’t want to sell all the stuff, in case I need it 10 hours later).

So far, I’d say a third of my time has been spent being engrossed in the world and story, a third being bored by all the talking, and a third feeling frustrated because I’m afraid the game will punish me for making decisions I don’t understand. Not sure that mix is good enough to keep me happy. Meh

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well, cant say that it isnt a spiritual successor to planescape.. the game is driven by dialogue and exploration. Combat is a bit of a ghost. Iv played for 6 hours and havnt fought anything outside the tutorial. I wouldnt say thats a bad thing. But it certainly doesnt make for a balanced experience. Again, thats what id expect for a game that models itself after planescape.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I found it very mediocre at best but there are some negative reviews by gamers who actually finished generally agree with them.

“- Extremely poor audio-visual presentation, even by indie game standards. For a 4.5 million dollar Kickstarter, this is a disgrace.
- In spite of its rich world and lore, it utterly fails to create an emotional connection with the player or make us care about anything going on in the Last Castoff’s story.
- RPG mechanisms, character development, inventory acquisition and management are at amateur levels.
- Meres and their sad, sad implementation. It would have been preferable to save some face and not include them at all.
- The bitter aftertaste in players’ mouths, that this was merely a tech demo for selling the Numenera world to prospective publishers for future projects. There is no game here.
- The silently cut stretch goals of the Kickstarter campaign. In light of the project’s extremely poor quality, the argument of “We wanted to focus on polish” seems even weaker. High tier backers should be furious. “

“This is such a major letdown. The world is completely plastic, every single quest has a forced deep philosophic element. I get that was partially in PS:T as well, but they really went overboard with it. The full game is 30 hours and I read everything and did almost all side-quest.
  The replay-ability is virtually non-existent as your choices are not really interesting. Picking your gender does literally nothing significant. There is literally no point to fight in the game almost everything can be solved without it. Yes I like when there is an option to skip fights especially when it is RP wise makes more sense, but here there is literally no point to do so.
  The characters are completely bland are overall a let down. The game went for an isometric view and despite that the graphics are still sub-par. “

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So basically Pillars of Eternity managed to approach the level of Baldur’s Gate, but Tides of Numenera failed to come close to the level of Planescape: Torment?

Bummer. Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 12 March 2017 05:55 PM

So basically Pillars of Eternity managed to approach the level of Baldur’s Gate, but Tides of Numenera failed to come close to the level of Planescape: Torment?

Bummer. Frown

I imagine i still have a lot to play before finishing, but id say in terms of story-telling and world building this approaches planescapes level and thats saying a lot. Its got combat issues. Which planescape had no shortage of issues with either.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s a relief to hear.

Although I do very much love the sound of the “it’s all dialogue - there’s no combat” complaints. Smile
But I’ll probably wait until they release the “ultimate” edition with all the patches and expansions applied.
I can wait. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top