• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

whatever happened to Adventure Shop?

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2005-05-28

PM

I don’t check AdventureGamers.com as often as I used to, and today I just realized I couldn’t find any link to AdventureShop from AdventureGamers.com

Did the two separate? I was only able to find a link to AdventureShop by googling “AdventureGamers.com shop”!

I remember back in the days there were banners promoting AdventureShop everywhere on the the main site. Now it seems to be entirely advertisement from other sites, including competing webs like GOG.com!

What did I miss??

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Adventure Gamers and The Adventure Shop has always been two entirely different entities, though you are not the first to mix them up.

The only thing they have ever had in common is the “Adventure” parts of the name, and that The Adventure Shop has been a frequent advertiser here on this site.

What has changed is that AG seems to have become more main stream and other game distributors are now both selling AG and advertising here on this site. At the same time I believe that The Adventure Shop has lost a lot of its market share to GOG, Steam and others, so they probably also have less money to spend on advertising.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Iznogood is correct: Adventure Shop is entirely seperate from Adventure Gamers, and we only promoted it as part of an advertising partnership.

We haven’t really announced it, but our relationship with Adventure Shop ended about a year ago. I don’t know how much I should say about this, but we’ve had some issues with Adventure Shop, and they no longer enjoy the support of adventure game developers/publishers (you might have noticed that no new titles have been added for a long time). It is my understanding that Adventure Shop may be closing down now.

It has nothing to do with market share, just particular circumstances at the company that runs Adventure Shop. It’s really regrettable as they were great partners when we started working with them in 2007.

Retired AG founder

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Marek - 18 September 2014 06:28 AM

It is my understanding that Adventure Shop may be closing down now.

Wow, well, just to be on the safe side, I’m downloading all the games I bought there and backing them up, just in case the shop shuts down and I can’t access them any longer… Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 20 September 2014 07:11 AM
Marek - 18 September 2014 06:28 AM

It is my understanding that Adventure Shop may be closing down now.

Wow, well, just to be on the safe side, I’m downloading all the games I bought there and backing them up, just in case the shop shuts down and I can’t access them any longer… Gasp

Me too - though I am a bit concerned that it might be useless as all their games requires activation that might not work any more if they shut down.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2005-05-28

PM

Ah thanks for the clarification!

Regardless of one’s professional performances, it is always heavy-hearted when a company is closing down.

BUT, that is ecstatic to know AG has become more well-known and attracted bigger publishers. I’m very happy for us adventure gamers!

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Iznogood - 20 September 2014 07:58 AM

Me too - though I am a bit concerned that it might be useless as all their games requires activation that might not work any more if they shut down.

I can’t really speak for Adventure Shop, but I believe the activations were with the publisher’s chosen third-party DRM system and not with the shop itself, so they should still activate.

Retired AG founder

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Small time shops often recommend DRM systems for devs but I think it’s very uncommon that they force them onto the game’s publisher.

As steam, gog and the humble store are becoming more and more accessible for smaller devs, smaller and niche shops like the adventure shop are going to find it more and more difficult to survive. When everyone can sell a game on steam, the other shops won’t really have anything unique to bring to the table. (We’re still not there though!)

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just want to let you know, that I contacted GamesPlanet regarding my purchases at AdventureShop. It was a third party shop they were managing at the time. They provided to be really helpful and gave me links to all my games, so I could download them to the hard disk.

If you want to do the same, contact them here:
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

They were really helpful. AdventureShop got purchased by Nexway, but I think GamesPlanet would be most helpful getting your games back.

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)