• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbCharophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PC Gamer arranges twenty-five adventure games in list format. THE OFFICIAL THREAD.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Regarding Myst, I will say that it is probably overdue for a good article defending its virtues and discussing its influence beyond just Myst clones. For example, I think its use of environmental storytelling was quite sophisticated for the time. (Check out Sirrus and Achenar’s bedrooms in, if I recall correctly, the Mechanical Age.) Riven took this even further.

Also, the way Myst integrated puzzles into the environment was a big contrast to, say, its contemporary The 7th Guest. (Though both were enjoyable games.) But that influence is probably more limited to the adventure genre.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Blackthorne - 25 October 2014 11:41 AM

I think it’s a pretty decent list - there’s a lot of great games up here, definitely a few I would have put on that didn’t make it, but for one guy’s list of 25 great adventure games, it’s not bad at all

Bt

what is wrong with you ppl today, , but this is just full of &*&% (yea written encrypted! because I am just trying not to lose two of my fav posters here/today at once) , James, what does it mean ‘the bolded part’ . it sounds for me like you are saying ‘I like mainstream.. Coz hating mainstream is too mainstream’ .. yea, you just wanna sound nice, even if its against your opinion, and I am sure of what I am saying, you don’t agree with the list you just trying to sound different/cool from the poster biased here against the list…
come on! this list is terrible! my 5 years nephew could have made a better one, just by choosing randomly from any of those top 100 lists.

wilco - 25 October 2014 09:18 AM

hard to argue with that top 3.

lol
yep this sums it all up, and best written/opinion at this thread so far

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally I don’t really pay much attention to these kind of lists, it is after all just someone’s opinion and not an universal truth -  And I never (completely) agree with them anyway.

In reality it says more about the person(s) who has created the list, than it says about the games on the list.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 25 October 2014 01:02 PM
tomimt - 25 October 2014 04:18 AM
Lambonius - 25 October 2014 01:15 AM

I was all ready to get outraged at this list, but then I saw who wrote it, and now I can only shake my head and quietly laugh to myself.

What’s wrong with it other than your dislike for the author? That’s through and through pretty solid list.

Heh…nothing.  Smile  The only thing that really annoys me about it is something that annoys me whenever ANYONE makes a list like this—and that’s the absolute declarative nature of the title.  THE Top 25 Adventure Games—I wish they’d just say MY Top 25 Adventure Games—it’d feel much less snotty that way.

Agree with lamb here, and i didnt know about the guy.
He seems full of himself.

Read the comments, his replies on why he didn’t choose The Dig , Sanitarium, BASS etc.

Other people commented that PCgamer reviewed some game poorly 20 years ago.
So its definitely not PC gamer as a whole.

Misleading title, unless this cobbert guy is authority.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Advie - 25 October 2014 05:18 PM

it sounds for me like you are saying ‘I like mainstream.. Coz hating mainstream is too mainstream’

That may be the best assessment of Blackthorne the anti-hipster that I’ve ever seen.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 25 October 2014 05:38 PM

Other people commented that PCgamer reviewed some game poorly 20 years ago.
So its definitely not PC gamer as a whole.

Some of the games in AGs own Top 100 were reviewed poorly. Just because the ONE person reviewing it thinks it’s bad, doesn’t mean that THE REST OF THE STAFF thinks the same.

Or in this particular case: just because the rest of the staff thinks it’s bad, doesn’t mean that Cobbett does. Tongue

It’s a subjective list (as these things ALL are). Wink

This thread makes me wonder why nobody started arguing in this similar thread...  Naughty

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

TimovieMan - 25 October 2014 06:23 PM

This thread makes me wonder why nobody started arguing in this similar thread...

I think it’s quite clear actually.  That thread clearly specifies the individuality and subjectivity of its goal, whereas the PC Gamer list does not.  It’s all about messaging.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 25 October 2014 06:26 PM

I think it’s quite clear actually.  That thread clearly specifies the individuality and subjectivity of its goal, whereas the PC Gamer list does not.  It’s all about messaging.

Meh, it’s obvious in the author’s name. It says “Richard Cobbett”, not “PC Gamer staff”. Makes it individual and subjective.

And even if it did say “PC Gamer staff”, it’d be less individual, but still highly subjective. Subjectivity is a given with any sort of list. I really don’t see what the fuss is all about…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

I think it’s a pretty decent list - there’s a lot of great games up here, definitely a few I would have put on that didn’t make it, but for one guy’s list of 25 great adventure games, it’s not bad at all

Bt

what is wrong with you ppl today, , but this is just full of &*&% (yea written encrypted! because I am just trying not to lose two of my fav posters here/today at once) , James, what does it mean ‘the bolded part’ . it sounds for me like you are saying ‘I like mainstream.. Coz hating mainstream is too mainstream’ .. yea, you just wanna sound nice, even if its against your opinion, and I am sure of what I am saying, you don’t agree with the list you just trying to sound different/cool from the poster biased here against the list…
come on! this list is terrible! my 5 years nephew could have made a better one, just by chosen randomly from any of those top 100 lists.

Hi Advie, I think all Bt is saying is that the list includes a lot of great games and was clearly made by someone who has interesting taste. Ultimately that’s all these lists are, is a quick insight into someone else’s taste.

I imagine that’s the same thing tomimt was saying when he called it a “solid list” or wilco when he called it a “fair list.” They’re just saying, “Those games are interesting choices and I can see why a person might pick them even if they obviously aren’t always identical to what my choices would be.”

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The “no Myst in my list” was the first thing Richard mentioned in his Twitter. I think I will never understand Myst haters. While not a fan myself, I can still see how much effort was put into storytelling, art, music, design, especially as far as Riven goes.

That said, I wouldn’t have it in my personal Top-25 either - and it is clearly a personal Top. I’m surprised to see Gone Home and LBA 2 listed as adventure games though.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 25 October 2014 08:22 PM

I’m surprised to see Gone Home and LBA 2 listed as adventure games though.

LBA is clearly an action adventure. But how would you list Gone Home? FPS, RPG, platformer, simulation?  Innocent

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 25 October 2014 08:39 PM

LBA is clearly an action adventure. But how would you list Gone Home? FPS, RPG, platformer, simulation?  Innocent

The devs call it either “a story exploration video game” or “an interactive exploration simulator”. It may not be exactly a simulator, but interactive story or simply an exploration game sounds just fine. It has it’s own niche, along with the titles by thechineseroom, thatgamecompany, [s]taleoftales[/s] Tale of Tales and such. P.S. I know it was argued to death, I just expected Richard to be more conservative in his genre definition Wink

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Caliburn - 25 October 2014 08:12 PM

Bt

come on! this list is terrible! my 5 years nephew could have made a better one, just by chosen randomly from any of those top 100 lists.

Hi Advie, I think all Bt is saying is that the list includes a lot of great games and was clearly made by someone who has interesting taste. Ultimately that’s all these lists are, is a quick insight into someone else’s taste.

I imagine that’s the same thing tomimt was saying when he called it a “solid list” or wilco when he called it a “fair list.” They’re just saying, “Those games are interesting choices and I can see why a person might pick them even if they obviously aren’t always identical to what my choices would be.”

Thanks Cali, I appreciate every time you drop by Smile

Seriously who care about someone’s taste, I could make a list that everybody would hate me for (but I wouldn’t) , making a list has nothing to do with anybody’ likings, making a list of the best of ...; should be based on a professional perspective, and thats what mr.tommit doesn’t understand, when you say the best, its not like you say the favorite, and especially if its not just coming out a random poster, but a vocational one, who does this for life or at least titled for, (a profession).

if this list was a hardcopy then it should be hanged next to a john at some public restroom in an abandoned warehouse, and even ignored by a slum who ‘d fear having piles if used ‘ouch!’

Crazy

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Caliburn - 25 October 2014 08:12 PM

Bt

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying - it’s definitely not the list of games I would pick, but I don’t think it’s a total crock.  By the way,you do know my name is Steve, right?

Bt

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 25 October 2014 09:34 PM

if this list was a hardcopy then it should be hanged next to a john at some public restroom in an abandoned warehouse, and even ignored by a slum who ‘d fear having piles if used ‘ouch!’

Sounds extreme. He did list several defining games by LucasArts and Sierra, several “everyone’s favourites”, some forgotten gems as well as a couple of mainstream titles. It’s a list done by book.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top