• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

AG site has so far been mum regarding Kathy Rain, but as 2015 is rapidly closing, may I suggest to add it to the site’s database as well? Smile Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m waiting for it and hope for Q1 2015 release. Smile

There’s been few months of silence in http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46423.0 so if anyone knows any news, feel free to keep us in the loop. Smile

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Somewhat surprisingly AG hasn’t still listed Kathy Rain, but seems the game is alive and well. Smile
Just wanted to say that those who will be attending gamescom’s business section, maybe can take a peek and let us know impressions.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46423.80

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

lewuz - 13 October 2014 02:29 PM

AG site has so far been mum regarding Kathy Rain, but as 2015 is rapidly closing

I think that’s understandable since you wrote this on 10/13/14. 2015 was three months away from starting, let alone closing.

Somewhat surprisingly AG hasn’t still listed Kathy Rain, but seems the game is alive and well.

This posted on 7/28/15, a full nine months after the first post. And the link you provide says nothing about the game’s progress. When, and from what source will the game be available?

Until those questions are answered I wouldn’t worry anything else.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

looks like kathy rain is finally coming out may 5th here is the trailer and to me it looks very interesting, it is modeled after lucas arts games of the mid 90s like full throttle and even though it is not a wadjet eye game dave gilbert is handling the voice acting duties for the game. here is the trailer for the game

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

here is a preview of the game.

I played Kathy Rain at Gamescom and now that the first trailer is here, I’m eager to share my thoughts. If I hadn’t known it wasn’t a Wadjet Eye game, I would have thought it was a Wadjet Eye game. That’s the greatest compliment I can give to a point and click adventure in this day and age, and Kathy Rain’s grounded small town setting and strongly written protagonist are splendid. Set in 1995, it’s a mystery thriller that is intended to work as a homage to the Lucasarts games of the era, as well as mid-nineties music and television.

I played for around twenty minutes, working through the first of the game’s puzzles. The challenge was light and logical, and I was sold on the characters and story almost immediately. Kathy is a far more convincing and complex character than the chain-smoking, biker-loner image might suggest, and the central mystery is sad and believable. There’s a suggestion of darker forces at work and solo designer Joel Staaf Hästö cited Twin Peaks as an influence. He was (wisely) unwilling to be drawn on my probing about the details of the story and I’m eager to play more.

It’ll be released “when it’s done”, with voice acting the major missing element at the moment. Hästö is a one-person studio but the art is the work of several AGS and adventure art veterans. The experience shows – it’s a classy game and might fit into the hole where a new Blackwell game used to fit every once in a while.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Nice to hear more positive reaction to this one.

It will be released on 5 May and is currently avaiable to pre-order on steam at a 10% discount.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/370910/

There are very few games I pre-order nowadays but this is one of them!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Don’t know if it’s a regional price thing but it’s cheaper on gog for me

https://www.gog.com/game/kathy_rain

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

A demo is now available on GOG and Steam. Looks and sounds very promising to me.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just finished the demo
I really liked it a lot, gave off a combo vibe of full throttle meets gabriel knight one, especially the attic scene with grandma and with a decesead grandpa leaving behind some type of mystery; that is straight outta gabriel knight. its obvious the devs are paying homage.

the story has me intrigued and you nailed the right voice actress for kathy, I also liked the priest VO as well as grandma, but on the other hand I thought lenny the guard and the sheriff as well as the bum all came across as cheesy, but not in a good way.

as far as the puzzles go, all pretty easy except the briefcase. I knew it had something to do wth both the book and tape recorder, but I was trying to do some complicated math in in my head, when the answer was literally right in my face. I thought the game does a great job of nudging you in the right direction withouth giving the answer away. great job of dropping subtle hints.

I also love the art direction and the fact the devs gives you the option of showing hotspots.

overall for the demo I give it an 8/10 and probably will be a day one purcase for me.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

did anybody else try the demo

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 03 May 2016 04:46 PM

I did. I only got until the chat with grandma before something else came up, but I am already convinced I want to play the game. I’m not sold on Kathy yet, but the overall look and atmosphere of the game appeal to me. And I love stories with a touch of mystery. So after the Resonance community playthrough, I’ll be tackling Kathy Rain for sure.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Jdawg445 - 03 May 2016 04:46 PM

I wanted to, because it looked interesting, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to get it to work with the Linux version of AGS.

Oh well, I already have a distressingly large pile of adventure games I’ve been meaning to play “later”. :-)

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

here is the first review of the game it got a 4/5

http://games.highdefdigest.com/33418/kathy_rain_pc.html

if anyone is wondering about the length of the game, the devs said it is between 7 to 10 hrs for the beta testers

and finally here is the launch trailer

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Man!! If someone wanted to retro in their game design, it achieved the goal with this game. Personally, I don’t like retro. The premise seems good. A detective is born to solve the reason for her grandfather’s death. But to plug the game graphics back into the early 90’s seems to be a waste of a good story.

I am sure that there are those who live to play retro-graphic games. I’m not one of them. I’ll pass on this one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

The game is out now on GOG and Steam (in euros it appears to be cheaper on GOG). I’m downloading now, but I’ll probably wait with playing until finishing Resonance in the community playthrough…

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

bought the game today and just started playing it. this game pays serious homage to full throttle and especially the gabriel knight series. it goes as far as to use some of the same story elements and one of the exact puzzles of a gk game, it also breaks up the game into days just like gk.

Im not calling it a rip off at all and if you miss the gk series I highly recommend this game, thoroughly enjoying it so far.

as far as full throttle references she smokes corely cigarettes and drives a corely motorcycle maybe this is in the full throttle universe ha ha.

I really like the voice cast especially kathy and her best friend. the game is really fun and for 14 bucks i truly recommend it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top