• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

The last non-adventure I played to completion was the Rayman series. Not including the “Rabbits” games (which I hear aren’t very similar to Rayman anyway). The first was too hard for me so I gave up on that.

I would say I wish there were more games like these, but truth is it is enough. A really fun platformer and challenging, but you don’t want to flood the market with them. I have enough adventures to play to last me forever anyway. Great series.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

wilco - 21 February 2017 05:52 AM
Lucien21 - 20 February 2017 05:57 PM

Bioshock 2

I prefered the gameplay of Bishock 2, more varied weapons and powers. Story I agree is not so good because it lacks the twists but don’t forget to play Minerva’s Den by the the creators of Gone Home. It’s a great little story

Bioshock 2 - Minerva’s Den

Wilco is correct. Minerva’s Den is a great little story with a fantastic little twist.

The new plasmid was ok, but I never found it that useful in combat.

Short but a lot of fun

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Yakuza 0

Best entry point for those who never got into the series of Japanese brutal underworld

Pros

- Lots of great new mini games, catfights, outrun, and something i can’t say Smile
- Brutal story with characters as insensitive as animals, hard boiled gritty and mature drama
- Combat is good at 60 fps with multiple fighting styles
- Side quests are hilarious and localization is terrific
- One of the best OST in the series and some solid boss fights as always

Cons

- Setting high standard for series getting fatigued of same area of Kamurocho, so Yak6 has to do a plenty

Verdict

Best entry after Yakuza 2 and 4, so if you love adventure, and hand to hand fighting systems, hop on it

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Kathy Rain

A very good old-school adventure with a passable retro look. I would prefer better art as i’m getting a bit tired of that pixel look. Just as well the story makes up for it like most of the other games of it’s type.

Pro

* Great main character. What could have been a cliched tough girl, turned into someone with depth. E is also ok, but most of the rest are just there to privide clues.

* Voice acting is of a high quality

* Some great old puzzles with four or five being standouts. Liked the computer puzzles, but would have liked more of analysis puzzles. (Where can I buy a magic scanner that scans audio as well as images Smile )

* A great story that doesn’t shy away from more adult themes

Cons

* Skirts a bit too close to Gabriel Knight.

* The scaling on Kathy just felt wrong at a couple of points. Esp in the graveyard walking from the entrance to the crypt.

I’m looking forward to Part 2

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Horizon:Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

Yes company name is more important than either Naughydog or Hideokojima at this point
GG has achieved something magical, i am huge fan of Killzone series and had an idea of what Horizon could be, but after spending quite some time, still finding my jaw, dropped somewhere, and i dont know where to start

-It has Skyrim,RDR,Witcher type open world, without padding and with more level variety in level design and way more beautiful
-It has graphics technology that is just plain bonkers, exponential leap maybe the end of Graphics tech for quite some time, its basically PS5
-Gameplay is straight up best Monster hunter game never made by Platinum or some Japanese company, which cements is as best western combat
-It has perfected TR gameplay of crafting and platforming
-Its not a Farcry ripoff by any means of imagination

Pros

- Aloy is amazing , they nailed the character development, adorable and you can empathize with her
- machines animations, design, detail, attacks, fights, are badass and intense
  Some fights reach souls series high , some i enjoyed it more than Vanquish and that is enough of a praise
- makes MGSV, Witcher, Skyrim and RDR a bad joke
- On technical level, its far more fascinating effort than any R* game
- Thunderjaw is best Metal gear fight that kojima failed to execute in MGSV, Stalker is perfected version of Best Squad of MGS4, and list of machine fights goes on
- You start to learn to overcome machine patterns and weaknesses and next thing you know, later in game , you get ambushed by more than 3 classes of machines (could number upto 6 to 10 at once and shits get 100 times more intense)

- Machines are highlight and very cleverly made, this is the aspect of the game that makes it more refreshing than anything in the market
All have personalities and narrative purpose, and their attacks are full MGS or Vanquish levels badass, from power geysers to fire projectile to aerial dives etc

- Your arsenal is not run of the mill, traps and elemental projectile assets are super fun and super clever and their animation effects on enemies is again bonkers

- Top VA work, surprised how chloe of Lifeisstrange managed to show so much range here, where in LiS i hate her monotone texture
NPCs sound amazing too

- Best Sound effects in gaming yet, just you wait when you hear variety of roaring machines and natural animals

- Best suited music, manages to hit high tribal note when necessary and going 80s synths on others, crazy good

- Many machines are self contained boss fights, Stormbird,Behemoth,Thunderjaw,Rockbreaker are gonna give you best moment of gaming, technical marvel
- Tallneck climbing while more than 10 enemies down below fighting with fully functioning AI and you can check far far lands without any hiccup in framerate and with amazing detail

- This is best looking game out there, and to think its openworld makes it even more magical , one small area has more level assets work than entirety of uncharted4
Moreover i was waiting for a game that could look as good as REmake in realtime full 3D
Its that game and more in openworld, each shot i took is CG

- Future games have tall order now, i wonder godofwar or cyberpunk can reach even quarter of the work put here, it has fully rendered small bees and flies and ants

- 5 to 10 secs loading on start and 5 secs on death…

- Storytelling is mix of TR and Dragonage, but linear, and thematically its what TooHuman always wanted to be, so great work

- There are dungeons too but that you should explore yourself

- Side quests are not padding, fetch quests have separate category as errands
- Writing is well done with natural flavor to it

Cons

- Terrible human AI, where Machines AI is top notch, Humans are dumb, animate badly, and junky…best is to stealth and take head shots

Verdict

I am a jaded gamer, who is playing games to pass time now since i have to play as hobby,
but naturally getting diminishing returns thanks to saturated game design and concepts

But once in a lifetime a game comes and raise the bar and delivers more than expectations in ways you never imagined you wanted…impresses you on all levels
This game is best possible game that you have to play if you are a action adventure gamer
Overall production proves that other mediums are so redundant now when you can make your own stories and set pieces with emergent gameplay
There is so much detail, extra detail in design and development that it makes linear games like uncharted or TR an average effort

This is by far best Sony western exclusive since godofwar 1 on PS2
Its better than anything on last gen

This is the point where gaming interest will start to decline unless something surpass my waning interest and lofty expectations

Get PS4 for it if you love games

Will post videos of some of my crazy encounters later

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nice review, can’t wait to play it (someday…) but better than Last of Us? Strong words.
Been watching the pics you’ve been sending on PSN, looks amazing

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 04 March 2017 12:17 PM

but better than Last of Us? Strong words

Naughty dog can never make this game imho, naughty dog hardly excelled in hardcore skill based gaming nowadays anyway, nor can put so much of content in an openworld setting, their engine also works for limited scope
Their Ps2 JaknDex days are fargone

In otherwords Tlou is not even 1/10 of this game(in gameplay,creativity,content,quality and scope), and thats objective opinion
Gamers can argue better story and all that, but TWD and Journey, had better story too
I personally can relate more with Aloy than Tlou cast

If gamers prefer narrative than i guess both this and Nier would not please gamers with mainstream suburban US sensibilities

Horizon has too much going for it, was just re-watching the last year E3 trailers
All look utter crap generic nonsense and textureless last gen games Smile

No wonder kojima got this engine in the house

GG has made a leap of faith and super glad that Sony let them do what they wanted and unleashed their true potential

I hope Suckerpunch 1up their gaming potential too

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 04 March 2017 06:10 AM

Horizon:Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

Yes company name is more important than either Naughydog or Hideokojima at this point
GG has achieved something magical, i am huge fan of Killzone series and had an idea of what Horizon could be, but after spending quite some time, still finding my jaw, dropped somewhere, and i dont know where to start

-It has Skyrim,RDR,Witcher type open world, without padding and with more level variety in level design and way more beautiful
-It has graphics technology that is just plain bonkers, exponential leap maybe the end of Graphics tech for quite some time, its basically PS5
-Gameplay is straight up best Monster hunter game never made by Platinum or some Japanese company, which cements is as best western combat
-It has perfected TR gameplay of crafting and platforming
-Its not a Farcry ripoff by any means of imagination

Pros

- Aloy is amazing , they nailed the character development, adorable and you can empathize with her
- machines animations, design, detail, attacks, fights, are badass and intense
  Some fights reach souls series high , some i enjoyed it more than Vanquish and that is enough of a praise
- makes MGSV, Witcher, Skyrim and RDR a bad joke
- On technical level, its far more fascinating effort than any R* game
- Thunderjaw is best Metal gear fight that kojima failed to execute in MGSV, Stalker is perfected version of Best Squad of MGS4, and list of machine fights goes on
- You start to learn to overcome machine patterns and weaknesses and next thing you know, later in game , you get ambushed by more than 3 classes of machines (could number upto 6 to 10 at once and shits get 100 times more intense)

- Machines are highlight and very cleverly made, this is the aspect of the game that makes it more refreshing than anything in the market
All have personalities and narrative purpose, and their attacks are full MGS or Vanquish levels badass, from power geysers to fire projectile to aerial dives etc

- Your arsenal is not run of the mill, traps and elemental projectile assets are super fun and super clever and their animation effects on enemies is again bonkers

- Top VA work, surprised how chloe of Lifeisstrange managed to show so much range here, where in LiS i hate her monotone texture
NPCs sound amazing too

- Best Sound effects in gaming yet, just you wait when you hear variety of roaring machines and natural animals

- Best suited music, manages to hit high tribal note when necessary and going 80s synths on others, crazy good

- Many machines are self contained boss fights, Stormbird,Behemoth,Thunderjaw,Rockbreaker are gonna give you best moment of gaming, technical marvel
- Tallneck climbing while more than 10 enemies down below fighting with fully functioning AI and you can check far far lands without any hiccup in framerate and with amazing detail

- This is best looking game out there, and to think its openworld makes it even more magical , one small area has more level assets work than entirety of uncharted4
Moreover i was waiting for a game that could look as good as REmake in realtime full 3D
Its that game and more in openworld, each shot i took is CG

- Future games have tall order now, i wonder godofwar or cyberpunk can reach even quarter of the work put here, it has fully rendered small bees and flies and ants

- 5 to 10 secs loading on start and 5 secs on death…

- Storytelling is mix of TR and Dragonage, but linear, and thematically its what TooHuman always wanted to be, so great work

- There are dungeons too but that you should explore yourself

- Side quests are not padding, fetch quests have separate category as errands
- Writing is well done with natural flavor to it

Cons

- Terrible human AI, where Machines AI is top notch, Humans are dumb, animate badly, and junky…best is to stealth and take head shots

Verdict

I am a jaded gamer, who is playing games to pass time now since i have to play as hobby,
but naturally getting diminishing returns thanks to saturated game design and concepts

But once in a lifetime a game comes and raise the bar and delivers more than expectations in ways you never imagined you wanted…impresses you on all levels
This game is best possible game that you have to play if you are a action adventure gamer
Overall production proves that other mediums are so redundant now when you can make your own stories and set pieces with emergent gameplay
There is so much detail, extra detail in design and development that it makes linear games like uncharted or TR an average effort

This is by far best Sony western exclusive since godofwar 1 on PS2
Its better than anything on last gen

This is the point where gaming interest will start to decline unless something surpass my waning interest and lofty expectations

Get PS4 for it if you love games

Will post videos of some of my crazy encounters later

Wow this is some really big praise. I am waiting for my copy in the mail Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Except you can’t. Not to any level of bare competence, at least. How many times have we heard this “create your own story” before, yet if that is so great a feature why have computers not been able to churn out a Brothers Karmazov or Babylon 5 yet? Hell, I’d be surprised if they were ever able to compete with Coronation Street level writing.

Sure if I want to run around killing monster after monster and exploring lands in the mould of “and then I did this, and then I did that”, and if I want to call that a story, that’s fine - but it’s never going to create a work of real significance.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 04 March 2017 09:19 PM

Except you can’t. Not to any level of bare competence, at least. How many times have we heard this “create your own story” before, yet if that is so great a feature why have computers not been able to churn out a Brothers Karmazov or Babylon 5 yet? Hell, I’d be surprised if they were ever able to compete with Coronation Street level writing.

Sure if I want to run around killing monster after monster and exploring lands in the mould of “and then I did this, and then I did that”, and if I want to call that a story, that’s fine - but it’s never going to create a work of real significance.

Games and medium speak to people differently not in old mediums of storytelling
You could argue all day that cave paintings speak of civilizations and tell stories all day

This game spoke to me, and i have been in all kind of mediums and seek to compare the experience

When you ride on hacked machine in after earth populated with AI machines and minimal human life , it can be a moving poetry too for anyone
When you fight or overcome or evade these obstacles , you make your own experience
The emotional payoff is totally relative based on your input and not directed

As for as other mediums are concerned, the linearity and fixed director vision can never ever can be compared to a software simulation with huge play field and self aware AIs

Games are all about letting the player express himself and a game with a larger possibility space is one that allows the player more range of expression

Horizon is contemporary simulation allows for revolutionary levels of player expression

Language and grammar of gaming medium is in your control, and thanks to ps4 i have saved those memories in videos, because i could not face same setpieces of multiple AIs again in my next playthrough

Its not always about intellectual philosophies , sometimes its about how some magicians can actually make living breathing world of AIs that feel too realistic

Writing books vs writing program/AI code

Linear world vs simulation

Simulation is future

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

nomadsoul - 05 March 2017 01:18 AM

As for as other mediums are concerned, the linearity and fixed director vision can never ever can be compared to a software simulation with huge play field and self aware AIs

I agree, but you are comparing them by saying it makes other mediums redundant. My response was simply a rebuttal.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 March 2017 09:04 PM

Wow this is some really big praise. I am waiting for my copy in the mail Smile

Just found out that Aloys eyes reflect whole world in eyes

http://i.imgur.com/7hGIy2F.jpg

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Have may hours have you put into the game? It’s not Witcher big, is it?

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

wilco - 05 March 2017 08:51 AM

Have may hours have you put into the game? It’s not Witcher big, is it?

I’ve heard it’s about 16 hours to do main quest, 40 hours to 100% it.

I’m only about 3 hours in .

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

well im pretty sure im closing in on the finale hrs of witcher 3 everything seems to be coming at us at a break neck pace now. This game is a rollercoaster of emotion for me bc I felt like the prologue dragged a bit, Velen was awesome in every way, Novigrad was good in some spots but I got bored there even though I really liked 2 sidequest a lot. I think one of my problems is I dont like Dandielion that much, he didnt bother me in 2 and was kind of charming, here though I cant stand him. whats weird to me is his voice in the game doesnt sound like the same voice who does the recap narration in between locations even though its supposed to be the same character.

I just did the battle of kaer Morhen and it was awesome from a story stand pt, but the gameplay of it left something to be desired, Vessimer death was earned and a huge payoff getting revenge on the wild hunt general who killed him was great. That boss fight was not bad and enjoyable.

Once again though I think the best quests in witcher games are the ones that are subtle, the quest back home again was awesome bc of this, no action or using your witcher sense for the 100 time to look at monster tracks; just three drunk witchers trading war stories, playing cards and having a good time. This did more world and lore building in 10 minutes of gameplay than most of the sidequest in the game.

Overall still an awesome game even though im finding bugs and glitches galore. After I beat this im on to sherlock holmes and the game contradiction, to get my detective hat on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top