• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nudity removed in Pendulo Studios’s Yesterday

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

fov - 28 July 2016 12:18 PM

I don’t know why the art would have been changed in Yesterday seeing as it’s not rated by the ESRB, but does the nudity actually add anything to the story? (I have no idea, haven’t played it.)

And what if it doesn’t? What I mean is that not everything that is included in a game or (we could even use as an example a film) must necessarily add something to the main story to justify its inclusion. Let’s say that in a game (or a movie) there is a scene that is not nudity and yet adds nothing to the story, no one would say anything.

What I’m going is that the “issue” does not go through if it add something to the story or not, but rather there are still many people who have problems with these topics, that is obvious and undeniable I’d say. There are many people that if they see a nipple is like the worst thing that can happen but if they see a scene of violence that’s fine, it is acceptable regardless of whether or not brings to the story.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Another rep+ to Davidjaffe who completely changed commercial gaming by full ON nudity,
Cant wait for new gow sex scene in those graphics.

Farcry also throw tits around, i dont fathom why its still an issue in 21st century.

Oh i remember David cage likes to show virtual T&A too in his games.

There is hardly any TV show nowadays without nudity and sex, games however still in uphill battle.

What are the odds that gamer who will purchase Historyofviolence has already seen IncestofThrones?

Nup ban games.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

At the time Overclocked came out, PC games were still largely sold at retail and large chains like Walmart would not carry a game with an M rating. If it’s a choice between standing up for the right to show a nipple or having a chance to actually sell copies of your game, that’s kind of a no brainer.

(And it’s not just about nipples… for example there were two versions of the Catherine box art—the “risque” one, and the Walmart one. http://catherine.wikia.com/wiki/Editions )

I don’t know why the art would have been changed in Yesterday seeing as it’s not rated by the ESRB, but does the nudity actually add anything to the story? (I have no idea, haven’t played it.) Removing gratuitous nudity to market to a certain audience isn’t the same as censorship.

In Overclocked, from memory, the game clearly wanted to establish the girls as somewhat psychotic and the nudity was part of that. I can’t see any basis for saying nudity is gratuitous in either game.

I’m with wilco - it’s absurd that a mad woman covered in blood waving a gun is fine, but a naked breast is offensive.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 29 July 2016 05:14 AM

At the time Overclocked came out, PC games were still largely sold at retail and large chains like Walmart would not carry a game with an M rating. If it’s a choice between standing up for the right to show a nipple or having a chance to actually sell copies of your game, that’s kind of a no brainer.

(And it’s not just about nipples… for example there were two versions of the Catherine box art—the “risque” one, and the Walmart one. http://catherine.wikia.com/wiki/Editions )

I don’t know why the art would have been changed in Yesterday seeing as it’s not rated by the ESRB, but does the nudity actually add anything to the story? (I have no idea, haven’t played it.) Removing gratuitous nudity to market to a certain audience isn’t the same as censorship.

In Overclocked, from memory, the game clearly wanted to establish the girls as somewhat psychotic and the nudity was part of that. I can’t see any basis for saying nudity is gratuitous in either game.

I’m with wilco - it’s absurd that a mad woman covered in blood waving a gun is fine, but a naked breast is offensive.

Those censored bras offer more tactical advantage
Quote from somewhere
Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 29 July 2016 04:55 AM

Another rep+ to Davidjaffe who completely changed commercial gaming by full ON nudity,
Cant wait for new gow sex scene in those graphics.

Farcry also throw tits around, i dont fathom why its still an issue in 21st century.

Oh i remember David cage likes to show virtual T&A too in his games.

There is hardly any TV show nowadays without nudity and sex, games however still in uphill battle.

What are the odds that gamer who will purchase Historyofviolence has already seen IncestofThrones?

Nup ban games.

man you’r the most one here i hardly understand his English, tho there are native English speakers/ppl who seem to go more easy on the slag (and abbreviations) than you…
nothing taking or givin, just a notice, a comment .....duuuuude

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 28 July 2016 03:10 PM

still, there are some Qs that (i have in mind)  cannot seem to get them answered ! if only the Russian market has/had the nudity (cut)scene for Overclocked’s intro and as you said its ‘no brainer’ to decide what to censor and what not when it comes to marketing (or the retailing) rules for different venues; which version was the original release?, sounds as a stupid Q (i know) because definitely the uncensored has had to be it and eventually and the censoring would take place after; but how come Martin (take my words for that) haven’t had the idea/knowledge of it being anything but cencored or (or breasts covered).

That is actually a good question!
I don’t specifically know the answer, but my guess would be that the bra version is the original, and they then added a bit of breast to better sell the game in Russia.

It is as I understand it, not uncommon that many games get a bit of extra nudity in the Russian versions, apparently to better sell them or simply because it is expected in Russia. I assume that is also what Martin meant by:

There’s always strange things happening with games in the Russian market.

As for the specific scene in Overclocked, then it is worth noting that it doesn’t really change anything whatsoever about the scene, the point of the scene being that she is in her underwear instead of fully dressed (and of course firing a gun and screaming), not whether or not she has a bra on. Also it is the only scene in the game where everybody is not fully dressed, so the Russian version of this scene kind of stands out and doesn’t really fit in with the rest of the game, kind of similar to how it would feel if April was topless in the underwear scene in TLJ.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The original is clearly without bra.

Here’s another screen which comes up for a vast number of reviews and on GOG.

I strongly disagree with Iznogood that a bra doesn’t change anything. If the developer chose the character to be topless, then that is how it is meant to be.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 29 July 2016 03:09 PM

What makes you so convinced about that?

She is only topless in the Russian version, and according to Advie not even the developer himself knew that a topless version existed.

Advie - 28 July 2016 03:10 PM

but how come Martin (take my words for that) haven’t had the idea/knowledge of it being anything but cencored or (or breasts covered).

I strongly disagree with Iznogood that a bra doesn’t change anything. If the developer chose the character to be topless, then that is how it is meant to be.

Oh I agree that it should be as how the developer intended it, at least in principle. I just don’t agree that it makes any actual difference for this particularly scene or the game in general.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 29 July 2016 04:02 PM

What makes you so convinced about that?

Convinced?? Beliefs and opinions have nothing to do with facts that can be checked. Oscar is right, in the orginal German version the girl doesn’t wear a bra. I know this because I own and played the German release. 

She is only topless in the Russian version,

No!

and according to Advie not even the developer himself knew that a topless version existed.

That’s just your interpretation of one part of Advie’s post. Here’s the the part you left out:

Advie - 28 July 2016 07:10 PM

still, there are some Qs that (i have in mind)  cannot seem to get them answered ! if only the Russian market has/had the nudity (cut)scene for Overclocked’s intro and as you said its ‘no brainer’ to decide what to censor and what not when it comes to marketing (or the retailing) rules for different venues; which version was the original release?, sounds as a stupid Q (i know) because definitely the uncensored has had to be it and eventually and the censoring would take place after; but how come Martin (take my words for that) haven’t had the idea/knowledge of it being anything but cencored or (or breasts covered).

I’m certainly not going to take Advie’s word for “that” or anything else Martin may have said. The German Overclocked has naked breasts. And the developer knows that. Period. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

blah blah blah

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Izno, do you want me to snap-shot the PM where/when (Sir).Martin, wanted/asked me to show him the Bare-Breast/Half-naked-top shot/video of the girl from Cell#2 at the intro firing the gun?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 29 July 2016 05:42 PM

Izno, do you want to me! to snap-shot the PM where/when (Sir).Martin wanted/asked me to show him the Bare-Breast/Half-naked-top shot/video for the girl of Cell#2 at the intro firing the gun?

Yes! Oh yes, please do! I wanna see it! And while you’re at it, show Iznogood a pic of the girl in the German version wearing a braTongue

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 29 July 2016 05:45 PM

Izno, do you want to me! to snap-shot the PM where/when (Sir).Martin wanted/asked me to show him the Bare-Breast/Half-naked-top shot/video for the girl of Cell#2 at the intro firing the gun?

Yes! Oh yes, please do! I wanna see it! And while you’re at it, show Iznogood a pic of the girl in the German version wearing a braTongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 29 July 2016 05:47 PM
Karlok - 29 July 2016 05:45 PM

Yeah, that’s what I wrote. Word for word.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top