• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Google analytics

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Why does “google analytics” always connect when I load a page on Adventure Gamers? I can see it down the bottom of the page and it is the thing that takes longest to load. Is there any way I can stop it? And anyway Google shouldn’t be loading things on sites that aren’t theirs should they?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It’s a Google tool that allows webmasters to get all sorts of info on the people who visit their sites (how often they visit, how long they spend on pages, how they discovered the site, etc.). More importantly, since lots of websites use it, it allows Google to track you all across the Internet.

You (and everyone else) should use Privacy Badger to block that and similar shit.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’m actually in the process of changing the way Google Analytics is currently implemented, although it doesn’t ‘block’ the website from loading per se I do have the sense it’s delaying things. From a website perspective, it’s Google that allows us (Google Analytics) to track how many visitors we have, where the visit, how long they read certain articles and so on.

For us it’s a tool that’s valuable from the perspective of knowing if certain improvements we’ve made have a real impact on the overall user experience. For instance, when I made a lot of changes to get the site to work better from a mobile/tablet, I was able to see the positive impact through said statistics. As well as some special edge cases where it wasn’t working too great.

They again, feel free to block whatever trackers you want, we’re in no way trying to impose anything and have the focus of trying to ensure all we use it to benefit the users ultimately.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 March 2017 05:53 AM

You (and everyone else) should use Privacy Badger to block that and similar shit.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Badger did not work for sites that *I* visit?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Karlok - 19 March 2017 10:12 AM
Kurufinwe - 19 March 2017 05:53 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Badger did not work for sites that *I* visit?

It detects trackers, and blocks some of them based on some algorithm that I don’t claim to understand. It’s definitely blocking Google analytics here.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

It might be worth adding that Google Analytics data is totally anonymised, so you can’t look at the specific behaviors of a specific user. It’s just aggregate data that webmasters can use.

I.e. no one knows how long you took to read an article, or that you spend all your time obsessively refreshing the Thumbleweed Park page, or whatever :-)

Retired AG founder

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top