• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

eriktorbjorn - 31 August 2016 01:37 AM
Oscar - 30 August 2016 09:33 PM

Anyone have suggestions for the next one? I was thinking of perhaps starting one in the not too distant future.

I think I already suggested it, but Spider And Web might work. It does get a bit unforgiving towards the end, but before that it’s very forgiving and the map is quite small.

(It also has one of my favorite “aha!” moments in any adventure game, so I may be a bit biased. :-)

Spider and Web looks really good, but I just wonder about the suitability for a Community Playthrough. Especially with comments like these:

Gaming Enthusiast: Spider and Web is undoubtedly confusing, difficult and unforgiving

Xyzzy News: While the game’s turning point has a wonderful “Aha!” quality to it, it’s a point that I never would have gotten to without relying heavily on a walkthrough solution.

It all depends what people want. I’d like the aim to be to get more people into IF. Maybe I am assuming too much in thinking that our 2nd playthrough requires a less difficult game?

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Oscar - 31 August 2016 01:55 AM

Spider and Web looks really good, but I just wonder about the suitability for a Community Playthrough. Especially with comments like these:

Gaming Enthusiast: Spider and Web is undoubtedly confusing, difficult and unforgiving

Xyzzy News: While the game’s turning point has a wonderful “Aha!” quality to it, it’s a point that I never would have gotten to without relying heavily on a walkthrough solution.

It all depends what people want. I’d like the aim to be to get more people into IF. Maybe I am assuming too much in thinking that our 2nd playthrough requires a less difficult game?

Well… I don’t remember it as that confusing myself. Or maybe I just through it was the good kind of confusion. It does throw you for a bit of a loop early on, and it takes a few moments to get your bearings. Drawing a map should help, though. I seem to remember needing help once, maybe twice, towards the end, but it still felt fair and like the kind of thing that would inspire discussion rather than frustration.

It’s been a long time since I played it though, so my vision of it may be a bit rose-tinted. :-)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I find Plotkin’s games difficult too (never finished one), so maybe less suitable. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t join a Plotkin CP.

How about 9:05? Or Violett?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Due to a lack of text adventure knowledge, I’m joining whatever game you decide on anyway. And if it’s difficult, then it’ll just take longer to complete. As long as it’s well-written, I don’t think it’ll matter that much. Unless the game is damn near impossible to solve, of course…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Karlok - 31 August 2016 03:31 PM

I find Plotkin’s games difficult too (never finished one), so maybe less suitable. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t join a Plotkin CP.

How about 9:05? Or Violett?

I haven’t played all of his games, but there are some that I have played that I wouldn’t recommend because I find them too weird and/or abstract. Spider and Web has a much more conventional story.

I haven’t played Violet. I gather it’s a single-room game, but apparently a pretty good one? 9:05 was clever, but isn’t it a bit too short for this?

What I enjoyed about following the Plundered Hearts playthrough wasn’t so much the puzzles, but rather seeing people reacting to the story unfolding. That’s why I’m hoping the next game, whatever it is, will have an interesting story.

Edit: I realized the last bit sounded like I was arguing against the other games, which wasn’t my intention, so I made it a new paragraph instead.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

eriktorbjorn - 05 September 2016 04:05 AM

I haven’t played Violet. I gather it’s a single-room game, but apparently a pretty good one?

I started it but got distracted and haven’t finished it yet. This seemed like a good opportunity. I’d like to play a text adventure I don’t know already, so Spider and Web qualifies too.

9:05 was clever, but isn’t it a bit too short for this?

If you say so, haven’t played that one either. Shifty Eyed

What I enjoyed about following the Plundered Hearts playthrough wasn’t so much the puzzles, but rather seeing people reacting to the story unfolding. That’s why I’m hoping the next game, whatever it is, will have an interesting story.

I’m all for an interesting story! I’m not really the Galatea type of gamer, although I certainly admire Emily Short.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 05 September 2016 08:28 AM

I’m all for an interesting story! I’m not really the Galatea type of gamer, although I certainly admire Emily Short.

What is a Galatea type of gamer?

I’m warming towards Spider and Web. I played a little bit of it a long time ago and it wasn’t easy but it has a linear structure that would probably suit a playthrough. Lots to discuss about the story too.

I’ve read that 9:05 is very short - which doesn’t rule it out, of course. Just something to be aware of. And I also read about Violet, which does sound like a great concept, however from what I read some puzzles involve stringing together a lot of moves together to get the right outcome.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 05 September 2016 09:00 AM
Karlok - 05 September 2016 08:28 AM

What is a Galatea type of gamer?

Galatea is one of Emily Short’s text adventures. The player interacts with a statue, which may (partly) come to life. Or not. It all depends on you. That’s it. It’s a real nice example of what modern parsers are capable of and the statue exactly remembers what you’ve said to her. I’ve played it a little.

I’m warming towards Spider and Web. I played a little bit of it a long time ago and it wasn’t easy but it has a linear structure that would probably suit a playthrough. Lots to discuss about the story too.

Sounds good. I’ll play Violett on my own. If and when I manage to finish Obduction…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

People…?

Embarassed

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

There’s a lot on at the moment in the forums. I was thinking of waiting until everyone is done with Myst VI Obduction and Spycraft and Torin’s Passage.

Otherwise, maybe we can get an indication of how many will participate if Spider and Web is the chosen game, and what their preferred starting time would be.

Edit: Screw it, I’ll start it anyway. Like Timovieman said, we’ll finish when we finish.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top