• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Stasis introduction movie stutters en freezes

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Hi,
I’ve just purchased Stasis on account of all the good reviews out there and I’ve installed the game and kept the settings on a minimum level (native game resolution and windowed mode) and yet the game stutters in the opening movie and even freezes somewhere in the middle of it.

According to canyourunit, my laptop exceeds even the recommended specs by quite a bit on all aspects, so it really can’t be a hardware issue.

Any thoughts? This did ring a bell with anyone else?

Subbi

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

I didn’t have any problems myself. I take it you’ve tried the usual checks on your drivers being fully up to date.

I understand the developers are active on both GOG and Steam, and there are dedicated forums there for the game. Worth a try?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/380150/discussions/

http://www.gog.com/forum/stasis#1454841664

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Hi Stepurhan, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Yes, I did. My drivers were only about a month out of date, but I updated them nonetheless. I managed to get the introduction video working after that by using the following settings, purely based on trial and error:
- windowed mode
- native game resolution
- windows not resizable
- OPENGL always: On

I’ve complained about this before, but I find this messing about with settings frustrating….

First:
What is the OPENGL thingy? I absolutely dislike the fact that some games expect us to understand all kinds of tech hardware details. How am I supposed to understand what this means? If it’s so important, surely the game could scan my hardware settings and make up its mind?

Secondly,
I would have understood having to tinker with the settings when it concerns a game that would challenge my hardware like The Witcher 3 or GTA 5 would, but for Stasis, where my laptop exceeds the recommended specs by a mile, it’s rather odd that I can only get the intro video to play properly with these very specific settings. Any settings with full screen mode seems to lock the intro again.

But at least I got it to work ;-)

I haven’t posted a message on the GOG of Steam forums yet…I’ve tried that route before, but rarely have I gotten a helpful response there and since it now at least works I don’t think they can figure out why the game won’t run properly full screen.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Firstly:
OpenGL is an alternative to Microsoft DirectX, the main advantage being that it works on many different platforms like Linux. It is not really used that much for games anymore, but 15-20 years ago it was quite common that games either used OpenGL or gave you the option of choosing between DirectX or OpenGL.

So if the game works on your computer using OpenGL but not with DirectX, then it might suggest that there is a problem with DirectX on your computer, and you might be able to solve it by reinstalling the DirectX drivers. Of course if it is a DirectX problem, then it would most likely also influence other games, so…

Secondly:
Even if you have gotten it to work for now, I would still post it as a bug either on Steam or GOG or perhaps directly on the developers site.

If it isn’t the drivers and your computer meets the required or recommended spec, then it has to be a bug in the game, and the developer(s) can’t really fix such bugs unless someone tells them that those bugs exists. So even if it doesn’t help you here and now, it might help others in the future.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I realize my grammar mistake now Laughing

On the first point, yes that may be so, but we’re in 2015/2016 now….I don’t see why such settings are really needed. With modern installer tools, such aspects could even be set by the game by scanning your hardware specs? I mean I do understand it for a very hardware demanding game that requires the most of your/any machine…then it makes sense that the game might not weigh different hardware configuration properly and one or two tweaks to the settings might just make the difference. But for Stasis this shouldn’t really apply, unless the minimum and recommended specs as listed at ” canyourunit”  are inaccurate of course.

On the second point, yes, I should submit it, but I’m not quite sure how to describe it. I got it kind of working, but with specific settings. I fear that if they want to look into my issue properly they would need a lot of information to analyze it correctly, perhaps a detailed assessment for each setting variation? And then it’s even the question if they would look into it given the fact that I got it to work. (Which is often enough for most developers)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

subbi - 08 February 2016 03:35 AM

I realize my grammar mistake now Laughing

He he, I actually didn’t, not until you mentioned it Smile

As for the OpenGL, then yes it does seem like an odd choice.
It looks like he used at least some OpenGL functions to make the game and DirectX for the rest, and then there are some where you can chose between using the OpenGL or DirectX function. Exactly why he did it like this is anybodies guess, but it might have to do with the engine or tools he has used, or simply because he prefers OpenGL.

As for why the option is included in the configuration tool, then it says it is because “It offers better compatibility with old graphic cards”. Or in other words if someone like you, experience problems, then they can try this setting and see if it helps, a kind of “Hail Mary” button if you will Wink But for 99.99% it probably works perfectly fine with the default settings.

I also don’t think it has anything to do with your hardware as both the minimum specs and recommended specs are very low, so it should run perfectly fine on pretty much any computer without any kind of tinkering or lowering the settings.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top