• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

Just finished it today and I really liked it. It definitely has a very strong TLJ/Dreamfall vibe. I think it’s obvious it’s one of the main influences.

wilco - 30 January 2015 06:53 PM

@Tad

What did you think of the stepdad, he was obviously a jerk but what was he doing with the campus cameras and stalking? Just being a paranoid stalker or the twist is he is actually doing some good and trying to find Rachel or something?

I really hope there’s more to step-dad’s motivations, I hate to see him turn into a two-dimensional bad guy caricature. So far all the other characters are pretty well written.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 30 January 2015 07:39 PM

Not sure yet. His attitude is definitely creepy and dangerous. Regardless if he has good intentions, he’s clearly unhinged due to his time in the army and put under more stress (bills unpaid, work, home life) will simply make things worse for him and those around him. Did you manage to pick up those files without them falling in oil? I’m interested in why he was picking on Kate though. That was left open and unless it’s something to do with the rumour about her being on the net, I’m not sure what’s wrong yet.

No, the files always fell. Kate backstory should interesting, it’s also one of the few characters we didn’t learn the relationship with Rachel. I missed some stuff in my playthrough, Apparently Chloe was the one that took the gun out of her stepfather cabinet and there’s a pregnancy test in Dana’s room. Mini Frown

Keregioz - 31 January 2015 05:27 AM

Just finished it today and I really liked it. It definitely has a very strong TLJ/Dreamfall vibe. I think it’s obvious it’s one of the main influences.

I really hope there’s more to step-dad’s motivations, I hate to see him turn into a two-dimensional bad guy caricature. So far all the other characters are pretty well written.

That’s also what I’m hoping, I think thre’s a twist happening there. The characterization seems a bit too on-the-nose.

I really recomend that people playing this explore every room and different options carefully, there are lots of little tidbits of info to uncover!

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

The first minutes felt like the first time i played the longest journey.
I already knew i was playing something unique and a game that may redefine the genre.

The devs took the good storytelling of Telltale’s games and added a simple but effective gameplay mechanic that redefines making choices and seeing different outcomes.
With games like this and Gone Home, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc. I feel that our genre is once again taking a lead in redefining gaming.

It’s not a perfect game though, a bit short and cheesy. And i wish for harder puzzles, but it’s still a must play if you love AG’s.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Let’s thrash.

That was fun. Cheesy slang aside the game is well written and features some beautiful characters models and environments. It reminded me of Ghost Trick’s design where you’re working in realtime to avoid obstacles, solve problems and rewind if need be. There’s also a lot of opportunity for elaborate social engineering scenarios where you rewind to say the right thing at the right time.

I really appreciated that the game left me to my own devices to explore and interact in an environment. Those best moments came when I realised you could rewind to do something you didn’t think would be possible and uncover new choices. This is much better than having choice bluntly presented to you.

The story is engaging and flows really well with straightforward cause and effect. There’s a whole town of secrets to unravel here and I am also curious about what Kate was really hiding along with what the creepy janitor dude knows.

Did we all like Chloe? In the trailers she seems like a very marketable trendy girl but there’s iciness between her and Max that may generate some clever turns as the tension cools. In reference to the step-dad, I’d like to see him transcend his paranoid vet archetype too and really hope he didn’t do a Laura Palmer on Rachel.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

wilco - 31 January 2015 06:58 AM
Tad - 30 January 2015 07:39 PM

Not sure yet. His attitude is definitely creepy and dangerous. Regardless if he has good intentions, he’s clearly unhinged due to his time in the army and put under more stress (bills unpaid, work, home life) will simply make things worse for him and those around him. Did you manage to pick up those files without them falling in oil? I’m interested in why he was picking on Kate though. That was left open and unless it’s something to do with the rumour about her being on the net, I’m not sure what’s wrong yet.

No, the files always fell. Kate backstory should interesting, it’s also one of the few characters we didn’t learn the relationship with Rachel. I missed some stuff in my playthrough, Apparently Chloe was the one that took the gun out of her stepfather cabinet and there’s a pregnancy test in Dana’s room. Mini Frown

Keregioz - 31 January 2015 05:27 AM

That’s also what I’m hoping, I think thre’s a twist happening there. The characterization seems a bit too on-the-nose.

I really recomend that people playing this explore every room and different options carefully, there are lots of little tidbits of info to uncover!

I rewinded that scene to see the gun, but I didn’t know about Dana’s pregnancy test! Did you pick up the ball of paper they threw at Kate at the start? It has the others mocking Kate for being online in an adult video…

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Played the Demo and i think they cleverly reused Remember Me Memory’s rewind/forward mechanic as a time mechanic here.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 31 January 2015 11:46 AM

I rewinded that scene to see the gun, but I didn’t know about Dana’s pregnancy test! Did you pick up the ball of paper they threw at Kate at the start? It has the others mocking Kate for being online in an adult video…

Yes, got that, there is also something about in the board in front of the room. I missed a large part of the photo collection. I think I only got 3, I’ll have to go back.

nomadsoul - 31 January 2015 03:02 PM

Played the Demo and i think they cleverly reused Remember Me Memory’s rewind/forward mechanic as a time mechanic here.

They were smart to leave action, it was the worst part of Remember Me, (that was still an interesting game) and played to their strong points in this one.

thejobloshow - 31 January 2015 09:04 AM

Did we all like Chloe? In the trailers she seems like a very marketable trendy girl but there’s iciness between her and Max that may generate some clever turns as the tension cools. In reference to the step-dad, I’d like to see him transcend his paranoid vet archetype too and really hope he didn’t do a Laura Palmer on Rachel.

I liked her, kind of a unpredictable character, curios to see what happened between her and Max before separating, why did Max never call?

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I purchased it yesterday, sat and played it non stop till the end. Now I’m going to bed Smile But the game was amazing. Steam says 2h, but it’s probably more. Got the rest of the episodes as well.

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

On my second playthrough now, doing everything opposite to the first time. It feels a touch more rewarding thus far than most Telltale replays, even at this early stage. There are some minor missteps in the dialogue, but mostly it’s pretty effective. I love the attention to detail - squirrels, birds and butterflies wandering about are a lovely touch. I like the way most of the characters have been established, even if some feel they’re a bit cliche. Like the direction it’s going; hopefully it stays relatively grounded.

I was pretty thorough in my first play (or so I thought), but I’m still finding new things.

Would have been nice to be able to control the drone though. Wink

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Damn what a great game. I bought it last night on PS3 and played it all the way through to the end. Max is going to be one of my new favorite protagonists. The setting was great and I’m excited to learn more about the characters. Looking forward to the new episode next month!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

2nd replay for me too. This is definitely how Telltale should look at doing their games in the future. There maybe not a lot to actually do in the gameplay elements, but like Gone Home, there’s loads of subtle clues about what people are doing and trying to hide.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I just wanted to warn people to be careful of spoilers on the Internet. Some brats have leaked some code that reveals story flags in future episodes.

Having said that, I’m going to go for my second playthrough tonight to see what else can be done to manipulate the story!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

A well crafted and executed juvie adventure but when POP’s time rewind mechanic doesnt work
as life saver but choice shifter leaves you out of character.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Think it’s an excellent first episode.  My main wonder is whether or not your choices will actually branch the story in significant ways, which is something that doesn’t happen with Telltale games.  I get the feeling it’s a different case with this series, but we’ll see for sure in future episodes.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

fov - 30 January 2015 11:24 PM

I’m going to be playing on PS3 but when I went to buy it tonight, the only option is $4.99 episode 1 and $16.99 “season pass” for eps 2-5. There is supposed to be a $19.99 “complete season” but apparently it won’t be on the PlayStation Store until next week.

I know it’s only a $2 difference, but I have a hard time with a customer service experience that makes early adopters pay extra, so I guess I’ll wait. Going to check out the demo in the meantime. I’m glad to hear people are liking it so far, I’m really excited for this game… just not an extra $2 excited, apparently. Tongue

I did purchase it earlier and payed 2 dollars extra for it. I know it’s only 2 dollars, but I do feel gypped Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top