• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GOG.com introduces own client app

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

The boys from GOG.com are making their own client app, GOG.com Galaxy. Like Steam, it will offer auto-patching and ways to get in touch with other users. Unlike Steam, being online “will always be optional” (and so will having the client at all).

Youtube trailer

This should be attractive to many who make it a point to avoid Steam. Far more than any other competitor out there, I could see this becoming an actual challenge to Steam’s dominance.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Steam is also optional. Most games can be played in offline mode unless it’s an online game. Steam also has DRM free games (The new Tex Murphy game being one).

I had to laugh at GOG when this announcement was made. They are attempting to pull the wool over users eyes, by putting out a Steam like system but pretending it’s not a Steam like system.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Still, the convenience of Steam together with the collection and anti-drm stance of GOG can make for a great combo. If the client works out well I can easily see it leading to me buying games from them more often.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 09 June 2014 08:02 AM

Steam is also optional. Most games can be played in offline mode unless it’s an online game. Steam also has DRM free games (The new Tex Murphy game being one).

I had to laugh at GOG when this announcement was made. They are attempting to pull the wool over users eyes, by putting out a Steam like system but pretending it’s not a Steam like system.

It’s a Steam-like system, but an optional Steam-like system. You don’t need to install it to play gog games (you wiil even be able play their Witcher 3 in SteamOs). Try playing Half-Life 2 without installing Steam.
This is about giving option to users that like having all their games in a client.

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

It took them long enough, but it looks like they’re finally starting with the semi-open beta of this. You can sign up by leaving your email over at the Galaxy site. It doesn’t give a download right away but they’ll supposedly get back to you in a couple of days.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2015-04-29

PM

Gotta give this a try. New options for distribution are a good thing.

Knee Deep swamp noir adventure: http://kneedeepgame.com

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve been on the alpha/beta for the last months. Works well enough but its not the reason I like gog so I don’t use it very much.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I was hoping for something like this from gog. Looks good.

I’m not sure this will be a stance due to publishers thinking DRM actually works, but competition is needed as steam have gotten a bit too comfortable and their recent antics having shown much quality control from them.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

When you are in offline mode, don’t you need to get back online after a certain period of time? I never tried that, but that’s what I thought was the case. Don’t take me wrong though, among DRM software, Steam is still number one IMHO. In comparison for example, a few months back, I pre-ordered Grim on PSN. When the Playstation network went down, there was no way for me to access my game anymore.

I guess the big question about Steam is whether you will still be able to play your games if Valve runs out of business. From the research I have done, it is still very unclear if you will be able to do that or not. It’s highly unlikely that Valve will go out of business anytime soon, but no one knows and it would suck if at some point, your 200+ game library is unplayable anymore.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It depends on the game/publisher. Even if you don’t go on steam for a while, not all games have DRM and will work. I think, it’s fair to say it’s mainly the big named games that have DRM, but things like The Whispered World etc wouldn’t. As for if steam do go…

Always, always back up DD games folks. Even if steam do go out of business, there’s ways to unlock games.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 06 May 2015 12:44 PM

I guess the big question about Steam is whether you will still be able to play your games if Valve runs out of business. From the research I have done, it is still very unclear if you will be able to do that or not. It’s highly unlikely that Valve will go out of business anytime soon, but no one knows and it would suck if at some point, your 200+ game library is unplayable anymore.

I’ve been browsing the GOG forums today and I can’t believe how many people seem to be losing sleep over that. It makes no sense to me. It’s as if people from 25 years ago had been saying “Oh, but what if they stop making computers with floppy drives?”

That did happen, and those of us who still have those floppies in their boxes ended up either rebuying the games for a pittance on GOG or wherever, or downloading them off abandonware sites. It barely registered as an inconvenience, let alone a major problem. As long as the Internet is around, I can’t imagine Steam’s or GOG’s demise preventing me from replaying my games whenever I feel like it.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 May 2015 01:07 PM
SoccerDude28 - 06 May 2015 12:44 PM

I’ve been browsing the GOG forums today and I can’t believe how many people seem to be losing sleep over that. It makes no sense to me. It’s as if people from 25 years ago had been saying “Oh, but what if they stop making computers with floppy drives?”

That did happen, and those of us who still have those floppies in their boxes ended up either rebuying the games for a pittance on GOG or wherever, or downloading them off abandonware sites. It barely registered as an inconvenience, let alone a major problem. As long as the Internet is around, I can’t imagine Steam’s or GOG’s demise preventing me from replaying my games whenever I feel like it.

It’s the idea that you own something versus you don’t. I don’t think the floppies analogy is the same. If I find an old computer today that has a floppy drive and an old OS, I can still play my floppy games. If however Steam goes out of business tomorrow, my 200+ collection that cost several thousand dollars might become gigs of wasted data on my hard drive. You can see the difference between the 2 right?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 06 May 2015 01:40 PM

It’s the idea that you own something versus you don’t. I don’t think the floppies analogy is the same. If I find an old computer today that has a floppy drive and an old OS, I can still play my floppy games. If however Steam goes out of business tomorrow, my 200+ collection that cost several thousand dollars might become gigs of wasted data on my hard drive. You can see the difference between the 2 right?

Not really. In practice, I have a ton of old games in boxes that I can’t play, because I don’t have the necessary hardware anymore. I know that in theory I could get a USB floppy drive or something, but in practice I know I’ll never do that (and that’s not taking into account all the floppies that may have died, CDs that got scratched, etc.). I may own the bits of plastic, but that doesn’t do me any good if can’t play the games on them. So I don’t think it’s that different from having dozens of Steam invoice emails and no way to access the games because the service shut down. In both cases, the method by which I acquired my games has just proved not sufficiently future-proof.

But I don’t think that’s a problem. As long as we’re talking about digital things that can be duplicated infinitely at no cost, “ownership” doesn’t really mean anything. Access is what matters, and I know that it won’t be difficult for me to still have access to my Steam games (one way or another) even if Steam dies—just like I still have access to my older games even though I can’t read the floppies anymore.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

About the client itself, it’s pretty raw but it gets the job done. I think what most people would like out of a client like this would be: library with all games ready to install and use, automatic updates, friends for multiplayer games. The gog galaxy client does all that with no problems so far.

It doesn’t have all the bell and whistles that Steam has like achievements, medals, cards, community, market. Don’t know if they will add any of that (meaningless?) stuff.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2015-04-29

PM

Achievements aren’t meaningless - to me, at least. I’m a sucker for them.

Knee Deep swamp noir adventure: http://kneedeepgame.com

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

have you used offline on steam extensively? I have. Its…. not very reliable. And it “forgets” your password at intervals requiring you to log back in online. Further if offline steam wont count the amount of time youve played a game, this will.

That said, galaxy has a ways to go to be polished into a great client. But it looks good so far.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top