• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hero-U Demo

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hm.
sigh.
well i wish them the best.
It should be a reasonable goal, i think they’ll probably make it… but probably will be as close to not making at as the original kickstarter.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think we had a discussion two years ago, about devs creeping in for another kickstarter campaign (for another game), and we mostly agreed that they should by time be standing up for new games on their own, but this is even worse, another campaign for the same project ! Confused

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I wouldn’t back the same project twice, I have backed same developer twice, but that was only for a different project (inXile, if you were wondereing).

Considering all the missteps the Cole’s have made I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d be hard pressed to achieve the goal they seek this time around, as they barely did it the first time and now they have a less than stellar record on working on the game in question.

You can never know what’ll happen, but this does bring in more negative than positive thougts. There’s a good change this will backfire badly.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

100k seems steep for a 2nd kickstarter in a time where even interesting kickstarting adventure projects are struggling to reach 30k or less.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

There’s a post by Corey Cole in the Kickstarter comments that sums up the state of the whole thing pretty well:

“This is not at all the same project we Kickstarted 2.5 years ago; it just has the same title and story line. That original project was a top-down Rogue-like with story built around the MacGuffin’s Curse engine. What we are building now is a full-blown graphic adventure RPG.”

Honestly, I wish Hero-U hadn’t reached its initial target. The project just wasn’t ready and clearly defined, and they’ve been paying for that ever since.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 06 May 2015 04:23 PM

Personally I wouldn’t back the same project twice, I have backed same developer twice, but that was only for a different project (inXile, if you were wondereing).

I even have reservations about this, and haven’t done it so far. I feel like if you’ve put out a successful product thanks to a Kickstarter you should be able to support your next move on your own.

Of course there are different definitions of “successful” and sometimes a good KS project won’t make much impact outside of that audience. So in the case of a company that put out something I liked, and it ran its course, and they still needed a KS boost to do another, I’d consider it. But in cases like inXile and Double Fine where their first product wasn’t even out yet? No way.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

This second Hero-U Kickstarter (for the same game!) goes against the spirit of Kickstarter, in my opinion. Corey Cole promised to deliver the game in 2013, unless I’m mistaken, and he got the hundreds of thousands he sought then. What he’s doing now, years later, asking for A LOT more money, is shameful and harms the perceived integrity of Kickstarter itself. Corey Cole and Hero-U are giving people more reason to be doubtful about Kickstarter campaign claims, sadly.

Do we really want to support setting or reinforcing this kind of precedent? Should failed projects which run out of money be able to count on going right back to Kickstarter for another hundred thousand or so? In real life, sometimes it’s better, in the grand scheme of things, when bad ventures fail. Bad management and broken promises should not be rewarded. This new Hero-U Kickstarter deserves to fail. If this Kickstarter fails, it would be good for future campaigns and would discourage others from following in the Coles’ footsteps.

Of course, Corey Cole probably will reach his goal again, though. And that’s because it seems many people believe they “owe” Corey Cole something. Well, I never pirated anything and I purchased all my past software legally. I don’t Corey Cole one cent.

Corey Cole was marketed by Sierra to the hilt. The Coles became rockstars both through their well-received work and through Sierra’s effective marketing. Over the years I have read the Coles’ borderline grousing about certain aspects of the their dealings with Sierra. There were complaints about the “limitations” of the game engine. In truth, the SCI game engine (and maybe AGI for the first one?) was a big reason for the series’ success; they were extremely adaptable engines and allowed for a very accessible gameplay experience. Corey Cole should thank his lucky stars he got to take advantage of it, not grumble about how KQ got more publicity.

I will try to keep an open mind going forward, but right now the chances of my donating to a second Hero-U Kickstarter (for a game that looks like “baby’s first RPG”, not an actual adventure game or at least not one in the Sierra tradition) is not looking good.

Final thought: I wonder how many people are backing this project because they truly are, in their hearts, excited about the game. How many, when they saw that sad gameplay footage, said, “the world needs this game!” Let’s be honest. Or how much is the desire among some to want to give them even more money just because we liked their old games?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

At this point they should go the Tim Schafer way - release what they’ve made so far as “Part 1” and start selling, kickstarting, searching for sponsors, etc. Because their idea sounds like a dead end, unfortunately.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Doom - 07 May 2015 06:46 AM

At this point they should go the Tim Schafer way - release what they’ve made so far as “Part 1” and start selling, kickstarting, searching for sponsors, etc. Because their idea sounds like a dead end, unfortunately.

the problem with that is: i doubt what they have is playable. Theyr going to be releasing a “combat prototype”. I dont think theyr anywhere near having several hours of playable game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Considering the string of set backs Hero-u has endured I’m also inclined to agree that they don’t have that much of actually playable content intact. Now, I’m not a backer on this, so I don’t know what “eyes only” stuff they’ve released, but based on the chatter I’ve seen of the project, I’ve gathered that they’re no way near what they would want to.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^and really, for them to even consider a 2nd kickstarter, id think itd have to be because they really need it. If they were sitting on a playable half of a game and saying “well we could use a little more money for bells and whistles, so lets turn to kickstarter again”... that would be awful.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

Even though I’m a backer of the first Hero-U Kickstarter campaign (and I hope I’ll someday get the finished game), I hope this second KS campaign will fail, because asking for more money with second campaign isn’t something Kickstarter is supposed to be, in my opinion.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

It’s hard to put yourself in any developer’s shoes, but I would’ve stuck it out with the low res graphics that everyone associates with them anyways and worry more about gameplay and story, that’s what everyone is looking forward to, anyways.

Too bad. Well, on the other hand, if they do get funded it’ll mean people REALLY want adventure games to be back in a big way, so there’s a possible positive right there, folks.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mr Underhill - 07 May 2015 09:41 AM

on the other hand, if they do get funded it’ll mean people REALLY want adventure games to be back in a big way, so there’s a possible positive right there, folks.

sorry Underhill, but that irrelevant to what the devs are going to present at the end.

i agree with Orion tho; this would turn into phenomena, and all the long awaited kickstarted AGs might want to go for another KS round, i am keeping myself off any similar approaches even if it is the SV guys whom asking for it.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Doom - 07 May 2015 06:46 AM

I don’t think they have much done like that. And I’m also not sure what they’re asking for to finish it is enough again. It doesn’t feel like they’re all that much closer even 3 years later. If anything it feels like it’s grown and gotten further away.

My heart goes out to them, but as a consumer I don’t have a lot of confidence in what they’re doing at this point. Even the much maligned SpaceVenture seems a lot further along.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top