• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Don’t go any further, just compare a f… t-shirt!

You can smell that alpha-male sweat from a mile away on the first one and what’s this on the second? Mommy used Ariel for white to stay white and ironed it for you Gabby?

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Venkman - 20 August 2014 01:38 AM

You’re a gigantic asshole.

Well THAT was unnecessary.

I’d still love to hear some ideas.  I’m genuinely curious what people would be looking for in terms of gameplay, structure, interface, etc.  I think it’s an interesting conversation.

If it were to go full 3D and ditch the fixed camera angles, do you think the game would have the same “feel?”  Or does that even matter?  Would a GK3 style gameplay system make sense for it, do you think?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Not just unnecessary, but unacceptable. Smarten up, Venkman.

I’m also curious to hear some actual answers.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Bogi - 20 August 2014 08:32 AM

You can smell that alpha-male sweat from a mile away on the first one and what’s this on the second? Mommy used Ariel for white to stay white and ironed it for you Gabby?

I never really saw Gabriel as an “alpha male” type.  Even in GK1 it was heavily implied that he was a “metrosexual” with his giant jar of hair gel and black leather jacket.  The GK1 character design with the perfectly tousled hair WAS metrosexual, by early 90s standards.  GK2’s version only pushed this characterization further.

That said, I also like the original design better, but for me it’s more the dark and atmospheric nature of the portrait that I find appealing—the high contrast lighting really makes it feel appropriately moody for this type of story.  I could care less what his damn hair style looks like.  Wink

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m really curious what the ladies of these boards have to say on this topic. Their opinion is probably most veritable.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I rest my case.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

This has been touched on some in this topic but I wanted to throw it out officially.  As someone who has never played the original should I play the original version first or should I weight and play the new version?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 20 August 2014 05:23 AM

The original game is still available and playable on modern PC’s. It doesn’t somehow become obliterated by the remake.

^ This. Don’t like the remake? Just go back to the original!

Karlok - 20 August 2014 05:35 AM

Remakes are supposed to be better in some way than the original.

Yet they hardly ever are. How many movie remakes can you name that are better than the original, for instance? Off the top of my head, I can only think of John Carpenter’s The Thing and Cronenberg’s The Fly.

If I don’t like a remake I’m not going to check out the original game.

I’m different. If I don’t like a remake, but keep reading how much better the original was, I have a tendency to search for the original.
This often happens in advance (by which I mean that I just go for the original from the get-go, and don’t even bother with the remake).
For people like me, remakes are a good way to garner some attention for the original.

So I tend to agree with Intense Degree when he says it’s basically a win-win situation.

Also, have you ever liked an original game LESS, because you didn’t like the remake???
Usually it’s the opposite for me: if a remake is a lot worse, then it only drives home how good the original was (and in some cases it might make me like the original even more)...

Texas - 20 August 2014 12:51 PM

This has been touched on some in this topic but I wanted to throw it out officially.  As someone who has never played the original should I play the original version first or should I weight and play the new version?

I can’t say anything about the remake, but I played GK1 for the first time ever last year and thought it was an amazing game - the original hasn’t aged badly at all.
It’ll probably depend on your tolerance for pixel art, though…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Bogi - 20 August 2014 11:27 AM

I’m really curious what the ladies of these boards have to say on this topic. Their opinion is probably most veritable.

Since you ask, and taking into account that I’m probably a good bit older than Jane, I prefer men who look like men.  Perhaps if there was a way to turn off the portraits in the remake….

And to subbi: I worked with gay men for many years and I’d defy you to identify any of them as gay based solely on their appearance.  The new image of Gabe doesn’t look gay to me, or ‘pretty’ unless you use the word as a pejorative, just wrong somehow, but then I put that down to POS.  And what an unfortunate acronym that is.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

aimless - 20 August 2014 03:08 PM

And to subbi: I worked with gay men for many years and I’d defy you to identify any of them as gay based solely on their appearance.  The new image of Gabe doesn’t look gay to me, or ‘pretty’ unless you use the word as a pejorative, just wrong somehow, but then I put that down to POS.  And what an unfortunate acronym that is.

Since it was me who posted the image - far, FAR bigger problem than the issue of “sexuality” is that the portrait in the original game looks like it could be from a well-known comic, with “raw” and mysterious feel to it going well with the subject, while the remade portrait looks too much generic and artificial. It’s not because the original is hand-painted and the remake is CGI, because some of my favorite characters are CGI. The problem is that it looks like from a Barbie, or Sims game at best.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Don´t like the new look of Gabriel either, it looks too clean or to girlish in my opinion. I played all 3 games and I don´t think that this new look suits Gabes personality.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

aimless - 20 August 2014 03:08 PM
Bogi - 20 August 2014 11:27 AM

Since you ask, and taking into account that I’m probably a good bit older than Jane, I prefer men who look like men.  Perhaps if there was a way to turn off the portraits in the remake….

Yes, that’s quite right.
I needed the opposite of macho and ended up with gay. It wasn’t the best choice, I know.
And of course you can’t see ‘gay’ from a picture.

Compared to the original picture, Gabe comes across as more girlish, with the shiny skin and accentuated lips.
So far from the almost scruffy Gabe portrait from the original art style, unfortunately.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

subbi - 20 August 2014 04:03 PM

I needed the opposite of macho and ended up with gay. It wasn’t the best choice, I know.
And of course you can’t see ‘gay’ from a picture.

Compared to the original picture, Gabe comes across as more girlish, with the shiny skin and accentuated lips.
So far from the almost scruffy Gabe portrait from the original art style, unfortunately.

No offense taken, subbi.  I’m not really that sensitive;  the way you put it here, I agree with you.  Wink 

In fact, I had to laugh at what someone said on another forum, that Gabe seems to have turned into a woman.

Truthfully, none of the character portraits I’ve seen appeal to me and while I realize it makes no difference to how the new version plays, since I have played the original game it is…distracting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Texas - 20 August 2014 12:51 PM

Let me put it like this: I have played the original, but it is so many years ago that I can only remember the most basic plot, and how good a game it really was. I have actually been meaning to replay it for quite some time, but ever since I heard of the remake I have been delaying it, because I want to play the remake instead / first.

The point is that I want to play it with as little “baggage” as possible, I want to play and enjoy the remake for the game that it is, and not end up spending my time comparing the original to the remake, instead of simply and hopefully enjoying the game.

I would recommend that you do the same thing.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 20 August 2014 02:04 PM
Intense Degree - 20 August 2014 05:23 AM

The original game is still available and playable on modern PC’s. It doesn’t somehow become obliterated by the remake.

^ This. Don’t like the remake? Just go back to the original!

Karlok - 20 August 2014 05:35 AM

Remakes are supposed to be better in some way than the original.

Yet they hardly ever are. How many movie remakes can you name that are better than the original, for instance? Off the top of my head, I can only think of John Carpenter’s The Thing and Cronenberg’s The Fly.

Well,
TombRaider Anniversary
REmake
Bionic Commando
Wolfenstein:The new order
DX HR:Directors Cut
Strider etc.

REmakes or Remasters should offer something to ask money.
The offer is inferior to what people have played.
GK Remake case is to test if the new audience wants it or not (for GK4).
Its just a test, and unfortunately test is likely to fail.

Cecil and his team also managed to make (old) Paris locations as charming as before in
BS5.
That should be quality criteria IMO.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top