• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 23 August 2015 01:40 PM

Another question, is that cave riddle solvable without objects from other places/locations?

Yep. Smile That’s what the guy at the door tells you, and he’s right.

Another place that I think I might I have messed up is King Arthur time in Dover, because I left in last minute and now everytime I go there I immediately die

The cave is essential, Arthur is less important.

I’ll have to restart but I was missing 2 main events - Rome - Attila the Hun and Mexico (why doesn’t Shakespeare just give me helmet!!!).

I didn’t realize you’d gotten that far. Wow, you’re good!

The Charlemagne event with the crown was amazing

Isn’t it. The very last part took me ages. Couldn’t figure out how to get the crown back. I was furious that Napoleon calmly took off after all my hard work for him and left me with nothing.

BTW, you’re not done when you’ve solved the ten main events! It will be boring to start over again, but you don’t want to miss Vettenmyer and the ending.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

oh well, I think I’ll arrive on the same spot pretty fast knowing exactly where to go.

And to be honest I did check an walkthrough once… In the Baghdad harem I was getting frustrated because I spent a lot of time trying different stuff and wanted to know if I needed anything from outside… Turns out I was making everything right expect picking the right room to snap the veil… is there any clue to tell us the correct room is the west room?

Karlok - 23 August 2015 01:58 PM

Isn’t it. The very last part took me ages. Couldn’t figure out how to get the crown back. I was furious that Napoleon calmly took off after all my hard work for him and left me with nothing.

Yeah, crossing that chasm at the end was hard. That main event uses stuff from so many times and events. At the beginning I was shocked that using the ether on the priest actually worked Smile

Karlok - 23 August 2015 01:58 PM

BTW, you’re not done when you’ve solved the ten main events! It will be boring to start over again, but you don’t want to miss Vettenmyer and the ending.

That’s good to know. That it doesn’t end immediately.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 23 August 2015 02:34 PM

...is there any clue to tell us the correct room is the west room?

I don’t think so.

That’s good to know. That it doesn’t end immediately.

I’m going to give you a general hint. A tiny one. Only because you have to restart and you would probably hate having to go back a third time. And of course I don’t know what you did and didn’t do, so you may not need my tiny hint at all…

Pay attention to the many messages Vettenmyer left.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Karlok, I love how you were all offended earlier when I said the game dead-ends you constantly, and now you keep telling wilco “oh yeah, you should restore yet again”.

I mean, maybe wilco is enjoying this - I hope he is. I still say the game is poorly-designed if the exploratory phase is “go place, take notes, restore to before going there since you probably screwed up irrevocably already”. They have time travel right there in the set-up, couldn’t they allow you to “reset” places yourself instead of relying on save games to do it from outside?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Antrax - 24 August 2015 12:26 AM

Karlok, I love how you were all offended earlier when I said the game dead-ends you constantly, and now you keep telling wilco “oh yeah, you should restore yet again”.

The usual definition of a dead end: For some reason you cannot finish the game anymore but you don’t know it’s become unwinnable and the game doesn’t tell you. So you can wander around for hours, trying this and that. By my definition there is only one dead end in TimeQuest. If you know restoring is in order, and you do in TQ, it’s not a dead end.

You must have a different definition. Is failing a mission or dying a dead end too even when the game tells you to restore? Like when you run out of ammunition in a FPS and die? Then yes, lots and lots of games are riddled with dead ends. From your perspective The Last Express must be one big dead end from start to finish. (Unfortunately, it also has one or two dead ends by my definition.)

I mean, maybe wilco is enjoying this - I hope he is. I still say the game is poorly-designed if the exploratory phase is “go place, take notes, restore to before going there since you probably screwed up irrevocably already”. They have time travel right there in the set-up, couldn’t they allow you to “reset” places yourself instead of relying on save games to do it from outside?

What difference would your “shortcut” make? The game design you dislike so much remains centered on the passage of turn-based time and you’d still have to decide when to use the shortcut. Plus you’d have to redo lots of stuff. Plus you have to visit locations several times to solve puzzles, so the shortcut would only be useful once in each location.

You haven’t played TQ and you don’t enjoy this type of adventure. Fine with me, nobody should play games they don’t like. But it’s obvious you’re just criticizing TQ for the sake of criticizing. I’d love to read what you have to say about the many real dead ends in a text adventure like Corruption or a graphical adventure like Maniac Mansion.  Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Alright, finished Timequest! The cave was the last piece of the puzzle, everything fell into place after that.
And that’s what this game is a big open puzzle where you have to fit the pieces and how the different ages and places connect. Some thoughts:

- The setting is great. I was disappointed with Journeyman project 3 because I thought it didn’t so anything interesting with time travel. This is the reverse - the game uses the time travel aspect full potential and you interact with tons of historical personalities and witness (and mess with) lots of important dates. The whole thing is extremely interesting and sometimes hilarious.

- Taking notes is a absolutely necessary. I made a grid with all locations and events (like the manual said) and it paid off. The game at first seems too much info but after organizing everything its not that difficult and its very rewarding.

- Most puzzles were good and well designed and this helps in such an open game. But I found a couple of obscure ones that made me lose my patience.

- Like a lot of old games the game has dead ends (sorry Karlok, I think they are dead ends Smile ) but most, if not all, are pretty obvious to see where you messed up and can be avoided. Just being careful and having the rules present and it’s not infuriating. Nothing like KQ5… Angry I also wish the game had a bit more of feedback on what you achieved and not just the score system.

- Last controntation and ending were very good. Some clever time mechanics.

Inthe end I think it’s an excellent adventure that kept me hooked, the kind that made look at the notes just thinking what the next move could be and turn on the PC again after. shutting it down for the night. just to try “one more thing”.

Karlok - 23 August 2015 07:33 PM

I’m going to give you a general hint. A tiny one. Only because you have to restart and you would probably hate having to go back a third time. And of course I don’t know what you did and didn’t do, so you may not need my tiny hint at all…

Pay attention to the many messages Vettenmyer left.

I was taking note, the one in Baghdad where you have to have the girl to get the badge in another time just to get the message got me thinking that those random phrases were important. (but Istruggles with the one in the Mexico pyramid.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 24 August 2015 10:17 AM

- Like a lot of old games the game has dead ends (sorry Karlok, I think they are dead ends Smile ) but most, if not all, are pretty obvious to see where you messed up and can be avoided.

I’m sitting on my hands, like the good girl people want me to be.
I just hope that one day you will play CorruptionInnocent

I’m going to play the next two games along with you. Don’t panic, it’s your thread, I’ll shut up from now on. Maybe just add my own comments to yours after you’ve finished them. Or maybe not even that. But I’m really looking forward to replaying the Gateway games and I don’t think I ever finished Spellcasting 201.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 24 August 2015 02:56 PM

I’m sitting on my hands, like the good girl people want me to be.
I just hope that one day you will play CorruptionInnocent

I’m going to play the next two games along with you. Don’t panic, it’s your thread, I’ll shut up from now on. Maybe just add my own comments to yours after you’ve finished them. Or maybe not even that. But I’m really looking forward to replaying the Gateway games and I don’t think I ever finished Spellcasting 201.

hey, I still liked the game a lot! (and please don’t shut up, this is not a blog, I really like seeing the comments about the games)

Started Spellcasting 201 now

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have finished the first three days of Spellcasting 201. I enjoyed it a lot at first, but not anymore. It was the same the first time I played it… Confused Too much text, this must be the most verbose IF game ever. Too much repetition. Humor wearing thin after a while. And that awful sewer! Awful in spite of the map that comes with the game. So I’ll give the rest of Spellcasting 201 and 301 a miss.

EDIT: And yet it’s not a bad game at all. Just not my type of game.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m close to finishing it, hopefully tommorow. I just mooned the Queen (wonder if this guy got the idea from the game, at least he only got a fine Smile )

I liked the structure of the game but it’s got some frustrating elements and you’re right, that maze was annoying and the big amount of text is aggravated by the having small clues in the middle of it that are easily missable.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 26 August 2015 08:34 PM

I liked the structure of the game but it’s got some frustrating elements and you’re right, that maze was annoying and the big amount of text is aggravated by the having small clues in the middle of it that are easily missable.

Yeah, like the squirrel and the vomit. Or the bush. I also didn’t like mixing the chemistry stuff (read endless notes, mix, oh I forgot what to do next, read endless notes again) and trying to get the appliance to produce something useful. Turn dial this way and that way, and when you finally got what you need, time is up and you have to restore and try the same boring sequence again. Too much trial-and-error, not enough thinking like in TQ.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 26 August 2015 08:54 PM

Yeah, like the squirrel and the vomit. Or the bush. I also didn’t like mixing the chemistry stuff (read endless notes, mix, oh I forgot what to do next, read endless notes again) and trying to get the appliance to produce something useful. Turn dial this way and that way, and when you finally got what you need, time is up and you have to restore and try the same boring sequence again. Too much trial-and-error, not enough thinking like in TQ.

The squirrel and the vomit was so annoying! And having to use the casserole the make him vomit, and then using the speed potion to play the music… Another obscure one was the blue liquid to attract the elevephant, it was a little note in alchemy class.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished Spellcasting 201 now.

The game was a bit uneven. Positive parts:

- The structure is simple ans well-defined. Each chapter you have a task from the sorority house and you have until the end of the day finish it. You have a spellbook and a magic appliance that does all sort of stuff. And this time attending classes really as a necessity for some puzzles.

- Since the game was almost all set in the university, it reminded of the chapter of the first game that I liked most. Campus life, going to classes, seeing sports or concerts, lots of little things to uncover.

- Puzzles were mostly fun, just figuring out and planning how you’re going to tackle each pledge challenge. Script was mostly fun

Negative parts:

- Like Karlok, lots of repetition, because of the strict time-limit your experimentation is limited (every little action takes at least 5 minutes of your time!!) , you have to keep restoring to the beginning of the chapter and that gets annoying.

- Some puzzles were obscure. Looking back they are not that far-fetched (for an adventure game) but in a game with so much freedom for try things, so many possible actions, you can’t really have obtuse stuff where the clues were little snippets in big texts.

In the end the game had some good moments and funny stuff (the ending was so ridiculous it became good Smile ) but some really annoying design choices made a bit frustrating.

Also, in the current climate of obligatory political correctness in the medium this game would be razed by todays critics.  It’s easy to see it was made in the 80s/90s Foot in mouth

Scifi now, I’m intrigued about Gateway.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Gateway is the first (chronologically) I like. However, I might be influenced by my love of Pohl. It’s just such a cool concept.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Wilco, question for you. Smile
I wanted to finish Spellcasting 201 after all, and I was foolish enough to try the 144 possible combinations of the Appliance on Friday. I found nine persons to impersonate, including myself. I have moved the body and I guess most of the eight persons would be good enough to get me past the university gate. (I used one of the profs, to be on the safe side.) But I haven’t found anything fun to do with the others yet. Lyle was scared of me-Lyle, and Chris congratulated me on my Chris impersonation. That’s all. Do you have any tips for me?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top