• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdam

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

50hrs with Inquisition , and its easy GoTY.
The amount of content is just unbelievable.
So much loot, incredible amount of text and writing, top tier VAs, long, long
storyline that brings back old characters and tie them in one epic tale.
Dragon hunting (which is separate part) is better than MonsterHunter.
Most detailed and dense environments in any open world game (frostbite engine is amazing).
Amazing sound design.
Skill/abilities are great.
Some companions are really good, some are meh.

In short, Best open world game, way more better than GTAV, RedDead, Skyrim and Dragon’s Dogma combined.

Everything i wanted from dream RPG openworld fantasy game.

Will share pics later, almost hundred of pics now.

Reason to own PS4 right here, this game worth the investment.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Man I wish I had your time and money to dedicate to gaming.

50 hours in 5 days ish that takes a lot of sitting around.

Looking forward to playing this game (over a few months). Will pick it up after Xmas.

Do you need to have played 1 and 2 to get anything out of it?

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 23 November 2014 02:30 PM

Man I wish I had your time and money to dedicate to gaming.

50 hours in 5 days ish that takes a lot of sitting around.

Looking forward to playing this game (over a few months). Will pick it up after Xmas.

Do you need to have played 1 and 2 to get anything out of it?

Funny thing is i overdo myself playing DragonAge series , my record gaming per day was 10 hours on Dragon Age2. But there is lots of adventure, running around and long talking and reading, so its not actual skill based effort for 10hrs. Still , so addictive its hard to put down.
I have seen plenty of people doing 18hrs of marathon (with beers) on twitch in early days. I am having 2 hours of sleep for work. Now all areas unlocked, will take easy.

DA 1 and 2 are the main reason i am enjoying the plot alot more. Main characters are
back and playing big role. The main plot is like Mass effect Trilogy, all individual scenarios bind the whole cities and sects within. All the lore is super crucial.
The amount of care they have put to connect everything from previous games is an achievement.
There are far more connected threads here than Masseffect.

Huge cast of main and small returning characters and what decision they(we) took in past carries over through DragonAge keep account.

In anycase play it on PS4 or on high settings on PC.

Oh yeah, Romance option can lead to bad consequences. Can’t spoil.

More later.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Do you think I’ll enjoy the game if I didn’t particularly like DA:O? I found it to be a rather bland fantasy as far as setting and story went, and it didn’t appeal to me visually. Some of the characters I enjoyed, but felt overwhelmed when the game kept introducing new ones.

DA:I looks intriguing however, I dig the aesthetics and the combat looks more fun, but I’m afraid all the fantasy lore and the politics will turn me off. Is there enough adventuring and discovering and slashing baddies to keep one entertained even if one doesn’t particularly care about the lore?

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

kuze - 24 November 2014 04:49 AM

Do you think I’ll enjoy the game if I didn’t particularly like DA:O? I found it to be a rather bland fantasy as far as setting and story went, and it didn’t appeal to me visually. Some of the characters I enjoyed, but felt overwhelmed when the game kept introducing new ones.

DA:I looks intriguing however, I dig the aesthetics and the combat looks more fun, but I’m afraid all the fantasy lore and the politics will turn me off. Is there enough adventuring and discovering and slashing baddies to keep one entertained even if one doesn’t particularly care about the lore?

Ooh, well said - I’m right with you. I got DA:O once for the XBox for about 10€ and thought it was probably worth that money but wouldn’t have paid any more. I especially disliked the characters - I thought they were for the most part incredibly corny and stereotypical or at least utterly unmemorable (basically, aside from the DLC Golem which was a fun character, I only remember the (very) bad characters), and like Kuze said, the setting and story were very bland, too. I did quite like playing through the one time but hit a mental wall when trying to do the other Origin stories or playing through it again. Didn’t touch the second one.

I originally didn’t really look into this one, either - but a bit of the info has looked promising enough so I’m a bit curious if this one would be better. But I still know very little of it (and from what Kuze said, “politics” doesn’t sound like something I’d enjoy, either). Of course, if it’s really lore-heavy and builds on the first two games, I suppose I’d be pretty out of it story-wise, as well.

But, basically - what Kuze asked Grin

(P.S. The most painful thing about the games might’ve been the soundscape, though. For anyone not playing, it was unbearable - and it did start taking a toll even while playing.)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

kuze - 24 November 2014 04:49 AM

These are the main things,

1) Inquisition war table that is like D&D board game, with tarot cards to deploy.
You use your Advisors, Diplomacy and forces to open areas, get resources and change the
course of Orlais and Fereldan.
This minigame is integrated in plot and quests, and the whole narrative plays like
Crimson shroud(3DS). And like CS , Inquisition did great job, as i hate D&D and love this.
But lots of lore and reading, anyway GREAT writing.

2) An open world game , with plenty of areas, huge areas, with lots of density and wildlife. You need to setcamps, destroy rifts, place markers, get constellations puzzle locations (soothing music) to reveal hidden caves, destroy lyriums etc. they all need plenty of crazy exploration and are basic for all areas.
Then there are specific mainline and side quests in those areas.

Jumping and controls are game changer. You can climb the mountains and uneven locations by jumping. The terrains are hardly plain, they are complex, huge and sometimes too hard to navigate. But i tell you this, the amount of explorations and beauty of locations is better than last TR , UC,Skyrim or Zelda games.
Some places gave goosebumps, other floored me. I always wanted Zelda and TR to be like this. Discovery of exotic places (hats off frostbite).

The sound design is awesome , you can almost listen to 8 distinct birds noises in one area.
From Dragon roars to flapping of its wings in distance, super well done. I spent my time standing at places just to suck in atmosphere. There is music that plays for little time
while exploring but mostly ambient sound which is good decision as it makes you lost in it.

There are 10 Dragons , which are epic and has one of best Dragon Designs ever.
Beautiful.

3) Abilities / Gameplay

You can craft your own armor, weapons armor look different , look great and exotic on Frostbite, different looks for all different set of armor/weapons for different classes.

There are abilities to unlock (that are cool looking thanks to new engine), but game changers are specific specializations and abilities for each member of party. those are nuts and makes the combat next gen. Flame, ice effects, particles.

Everything is smooth. There in zero delay in input unlike Asscreed , mordor, or Skyrim clunky hell. Its close to DA2 combat but refined.

Rogue is way improved that has action slasher type moves, Ironbull gets huge claws to attack, Dorian spell effects are awesome.

Unlockable mounts, they suck at riding animation and speed but i haven’t locked many.

(Killed one higher dragon, unlocks an option on Wartable to unlock Draconian mount.
There are several classes of mounts and then plenty to choose from them).

2 things where other RPGs fall short.
Hate one Character?? Change to other with different class , and they are not filler classes, they play differently, even normal exploration controls are bit different, Cole is faster than Ironbull for instance, jumps better too, Varric is best.

Other thing is art variety, its jungle, snow, desert etc. areas but the level of design is close to the artistry of MetroidPrime on GC, and i love that.

4) Last thing is plot and bending it. Its same Templars, Seekers, Chantry and Mages conflict, but writing and relationships get way better later.
If this turned you off in DAO, i think only this layer of game will hamper your enjoyment.

Plenty of stuff , and its quite overwhelming, but this game is meant to be
taken slowly and enjoy all of it.

I will post pics to show the variety of locations.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Thank you for your reply! I was almost hoping I could write off DA:I as “not for me” and save myself the time and money, but (almost) all of this does indeed sound very alluring.

However, it does seem somewhat like Skyrim in the sense that it offers a huge world to explore (even if DA:I is obviously better looking and technically more advanced), and I just couldn’t get into it because nothing about the plot or the setting or the characters motivated me to push on—it all just seemed so wooden, generic and forgettable to me. I’m more of a Witcher person, I guess.

UPtimist, should you decide to try the game, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it as well.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Uploading pics…

Edit:

Just noticed i took almost 500 pics Smile, here are some of them at 640 ver of 1080 ver taken from PS4 to usb to upload site (compressed), still will give an idea.

My Inquisitor

Mounts ( Horse and Draconian )

Dragons ( Blue on left and other notice at the top of the castle in the background)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That is one seriously beautiful game… Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished the mainline quest, 60 hrs.

Now to complete rest of the stuff.

Amazing returning characters at the end, so much awesome storybits in the last quarter, and kickass cliffhanger.

@Tim

and seriously awesome sounding too. Wink

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Looks ok.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 27 November 2014 10:48 AM

Looks ok.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

Saying DA:I is a GOTY, is even an understatement.
It blends together all the elements that makes games like the witcher, Skyrim, Fallout and Mass Effect masterpieces, making the best game ever made in my opinion.

The storytelling is great, the gameworld is gorgeous and incredibly detailed, choices seem to have a big impact.  Heart Eyes

I myself also didn’t really like Origins, it was indeed quite bland. I never got past the first half of the game, simply because it got so boring after a while.
And don’t get me started on DAII, that one was downright terrible.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

markornikov - 28 November 2014 06:12 AM

Saying DA:I is a GOTY, is even an understatement.
It blends together all the elements that makes games like the witcher, Skyrim, Fallout and Mass Effect masterpieces, making the best game ever made in my opinion.

The storytelling is great, the gameworld is gorgeous and incredibly detailed, choices seem to have a big impact.  Heart Eyes

I myself also didn’t really like Origins, it was indeed quite bland. I never got past the first half of the game, simply because it got so boring after a while.
And don’t get me started on DAII, that one was downright terrible.

Yes it has set a new standard, atleast for me. Cannot get back to Farcry4, feels hollow
experience even with great looking trees Tongue

One game choice was hard, it pitches your two favorite characters against each other.

I was so happy to see Loghain back, his new design is awesome.
DA’s voice cast was always Best, i mean Loghain is Kain( from Legacy of kain ) Wink

Talking about designs, i think graphics engine was the reason why people were little underwhelmed by previous DA’s, where Bioware was making Masseffect with full high production and treating it as Tier 1 franchise, DA production was shafted.

Now after Skyrim’s sales (a Fantasy game reaching 20 millions), EA saw potential combined with bad reception of last game plus Amazeballs Frostbite = Winner.

If Bioware keeps this formula then next Masseffect would be just what i am hoping for.

Open world/Universe Space exploration wet dream.

Back to hunting more High Dragons…
Grin

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

From what i’ve heard of the next mass effect that dream will come true B-)
Even CD red projekt will have to work hard on the witcher 3 to make it asa good as da:i

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

markornikov - 28 November 2014 05:08 PM

From what i’ve heard of the next mass effect that dream will come true B-)
Even CD red projekt will have to work hard on the witcher 3 to make it asa good as da:i

Witcher 2 terribad dudebro Assassin chase story was a bad sign, i hope they flesh the
universe more. Just one character to play, one class, and combat design are major drawbacks.

They need to introduce much more better NPC cast too, dragging same old Triss, Geralt…
and their sex scenes. Pan

Found new armours and more crafting in DA:I , amazing armor and weapon designs.

They didn’t hold anything back.

3 more high dragons to go. Guide to find them.

http://www.infobarrel.com/Here_Be_Dragons__Dragon_Age_Inquisition_Dragon_Locations_and_How_to_Kill_Them

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top