• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #18 - Enigmatis 3

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the puzzles pick up both in difficulty and relevance to the plot later in the game. But some of them are a bit inane so far. I mean really…get the rope ladder so you can get the water to melt the ice to get the rope that you use to exit the basement to get to the same place you would have gotten to if you had just used the rope ladder in the first place. I know this is game logic, but ....

I did like the realism of one part though. You put the pot of water on the burner. In any other game, adventure or casual, the water would have boiled instantly. But as the cliche says, “a watched pot never boils”. So you have to do something else to kill time. And when you’re done with that, lo and behold, the water is boiling. Nice design touch IMO.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 25 September 2016 02:37 PM

I did like the realism of one part though. You put the pot of water on the burner. In any other game, adventure or casual, the water would have boiled instantly. But as the cliche says, “a watched pot never boils”. So you have to do something else to kill time. And when you’re done with that, lo and behold, the water is boiling. Nice design touch IMO.

Pot boiled instantly for me???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

TimovieMan - 25 September 2016 04:29 PM
rtrooney - 25 September 2016 02:37 PM

I had to wait and I also thought it was a nice touch. Maybe you have to wait for one event and if you do that event first it boils?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 25 September 2016 04:29 PM

I’ll still call that good design. You aren’t walked through the sequence, where you have to do things in the exact order the designers planned in order to get the desired outcome. In my case I didn’t do things in the exact sequence, but wasn’t forced to go back and do it correctly. I just had to wait for the desired outcome. And the fact that the designers built this into the game shows me that Artifex-Mundi has really upped their design skills.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

I have made it to the outskirts of the village and spotted a rare Tibetan woodpecker. I must say I like any game that lets me blast locks with my six-shooter instead of finding twiddly little keys. Too bad I dropped that gun. So far the general gameplay is exciting, the mini-games are too easy and the HOPs (including collectibles) are too hard. I am planning to enter the juggling-a-hot-kettle-while-falling-into-the-basement biathlon in the next casual Olympics.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have never played any other Enigmatis games, but it didn’t took me long to understand the storyline. I like the graphics and the voice acting. The HOGs are easy so far (can’t say the same for the collectibles though).

I am playing the CE.

Just reached the village in the mountains and I’m half-expecting to find Po from Kung-Fu Panda any time soon…..

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Do we have an end point for the next session?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Well, we’ve been through a lot so far, but thanks to some quick thinking, we survived and made it to the village near the monastery.  Since there are many things that need to be repaired here, including our own wounds, it will take us a while to reach the monastery and even longer to finally get inside.  Let’s aim to finish this section by the evening of Thursday, September 29.  Stop when you reach this screen: 

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Whew. I have reached the monastery. That is possibly the best version I have even seen of a climbing challenge. I really feel exhausted! The strategy guide does not have any screenshots that would help, and I was about to holler for assistance here, when I went back to the game one more time… and discovered that right where the inventory would normally be is a picture of the rock which is the next handhold. It’s still a where’s waldo, but that is just enough hint to make it doable, while being subtle enough that one could deliberately ignore it (or blindly overlook it, as I did).

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  I didn’t see that hint at all, Cluelass, so it was just a pixel hunt for me.  I’ll have to run through it again to see what I missed.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Have also arrived at the monastery. I remembered the inventory clue for the wall climb, but it still took me a long time to reach the top. I actually felt nervous during the ascent. Waiting for Thursday is going to kill me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I reached the village yesterday morning & erm… forgot to post!  Laughing
I loved the early cinematics & the interactive ‘action?’ scenes which were quite immersive.

I liked the evidence board which helps with following the story but I haven’t found the puzzles, & HO screens anything special so far apart from the stained glass one which was a little more interesting.

I think the trigger for the pot boiling is possibly translating the books so if you did that 1st the pot will boil instantly?  Smile

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Reached the monastery and a little bit into it because I forgot to stop. I enjoyed getting the mill and tram working but this section wasn’t quite as interesting. Or maybe I was just too stressed from allowing a total stranger to sew me up.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just arrived at the monastery. I liked the climbing sequence! It was different of what I was used to! I found it pretty easy (with the help of the “where is Waldo” clue on the inventory clue). Thus far the game doesn’t have many annoying HOGs and that is certainly a +

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 27 September 2016 01:30 PM

I think the trigger for the pot boiling is possibly translating the books so if you did that 1st the pot will boil instantly?  Smile

Getting the water and boiling the pot was the very last thing I did, so this is very plausible.

I haven’t started this section yet. I planned on catching up with the forums and then playing a bit yesterday evening, but I kept dozing off and went to bed early instead.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top