• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 21 November 2014 01:38 AM

Personally I think Thimbleweed looks already far better than Hot Line Miami which I think is one of the ugliest games I’ve ever played. It’s fun, but it is ugly, on purpose most likely.

There’s also To The Moon, which was praised to the heavens despite looking like 100 other ugly console games from the 90s.

Could it be that some of us have a distaste for early Lucas graphics because of the gameplay? Recalling the dead ends, mazes, short dialogues of Zak and Maniac Mansion does not fill me with excitement, I admit. Thimbleweed won’t have those, and it won’t have 16 colours or lack speech.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Personally I’m looking forward to some more Gilbert-penned dialogue trees. One of the things I missed most about The Cave. I do think with dialogue trees though that it shouldn’t be a case of clicking through every line until they’re exhausted. I think it should on some if not all lines be a case of picking one and moving on. Makes things more interesting I think. Also fingers-crossed they go the LSL:R, Josh Mandel route of funny responses to using virtually everything on everything.

I can see this game being a whole lot of fun.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 21 November 2014 05:17 PM

Could it be that some of us have a distaste for early Lucas graphics because of the gameplay? Recalling the dead ends, mazes, short dialogues of Zak and Maniac Mansion does not fill me with excitement, I admit. Thimbleweed won’t have those, and it won’t have 16 colours or lack speech.

Zak and MM both suffer from bad design choices, I won’t argue about that. In fact, despite I do like a lot of the ideas in Zak I’ve only played it through once because of the annoying game design choices. What I like about Zak abd MM is the subject matter, spoofing b-scifi and horror. It always was a bummer Zak didn’t get official sequels.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Karlok - 21 November 2014 06:01 PM

Echo…
Are you posting this everywhere?

I dunno…are you this obnoxious everywhere?

Seriously…what an inane post. Not allowed to voice my opinion in more than one spot?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Karlok - 21 November 2014 07:52 PM

Not allowed to voice my opinion about your posts?

Not if it’s going to cause disruption in this thread, no.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Okidoki, next time I’ll just call him “obnoxious” and “inane”, since that’s apparently no problem for the mods and doesn’t cause the thread to “disrupt”, whatever that may be.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

It’s more about the intent of a post, whose sole purpose is to pick a fight or to provoke certain responses that cause derailing of a thread.

Let’s return the conversation to Kickstarter or the game itself.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I love the idea of the game, the multiple characters and storylines, the fact that it’s Ron Gilbert etc. It’s one of the reasons I liked The Cave with it’s multiple interweeving storylines.

However i’m disappointed that the graphics are so retro.

I don’t believe that the proliferation of retro style games is good for the genre. It’s holding it back rather than helping it. Helping people to remember that Adventure games were only fun in the 80’s and 90’s.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

This thread is awesome.

Bt

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I never got to play the old Maniac Mansion game, although its spiritual sequel (Day of the Tentacle) is my favorite video game of all time. I just wished they went with lucas arts 90’s style graphics rather than 80’s style graphics, because Day of the Tentacle still looks really good to this day, whereas Maniac Mansion looks too outdated.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The pitch is , If you guys want to play some game from the 80s.

Its not different than hunting oldschool games we missed or we played, want to play again because there are none that are like it. And we even look for flawed gems every now and then, for our PnC fix or to fill the void. As long as it does what oldschool did in the past, its fine.

Ron’s name is a seal of quality , and i have faith. Atleast his pitch is not dodgy.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s definetly not a room for speculation about what kind of graphics the game will have, unlike there was for Broken Age, where some people where a bit disappointed that they didn’t go for retro pixels. So you either can life with or don’t.

Anyway, they’ve just announced stretch goals, which are pretty standard stuff. Translations to multiple languages, native ports to tablets and other devices and if they get to +600k, voice acting.

Very reachable goal that talkie.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

They could divert attention away from the graphics if we saw more of the story and dialgoue from the game.

When they mention that feeling of finding an undiscovered gem from the ‘80s, that’s pretty much what I felt playing old AGI Sierra games for the first time through those collection sets about a decade ago. It’s not even nostalgia, it’s like being in on a secret little thing between you and the game designer. It’s a nice feel and I think people who never hear of this Kickstarter will experience that when it suddenly pops up on Steam.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top