• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

J.U.L.I.A. Among The Stars Has A Release Date!

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

A major enhancement on the original with a lot of new game play:

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Looks interesting. Never played the original, the reviews and comments of it are all over the place but I’ll try this one.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

wilco - 01 August 2014 02:46 PM

Looks interesting. Never played the original, the reviews and comments of it are all over the place but I’ll try this one.

I enjoyed the first version Wilco although it wasn’t without its faults. I primarily backed the Indiegogo campaign because Jan Kavan had been right royally ripped off by Lace Mamba and wanted to support the second go, the money of which went to him. Followed the production since and the graphics are way beyond what went before and the music, although very good in the first release, is even better this time round. Game play looks to have been enhanced and more of it as well (it appears anyway) and I’m really looking forward to the release.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Hm, I don’t know what to make of this. I did not feel there was much substance to the first edition, and I am not sure adding more gameplay and “stuff” will fix that. I liked the style of the game but may have preferred that they just move on to a sequel or completely new title.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As I understand it they have changed so much that it is more or less a completely new game, removed the stuff that people didn’t like and added new stuff instead.

I never played the original even though I wanted to, but I never got around to it before the Indiegogo campaign, so I have been delaying it until the new version was finished.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I played the original a year ago. It was a good game. So, if they improve the story and graphics and put more stuff in it, I’m excited to see the new one.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

UruBoo - 02 August 2014 09:37 AM

I played the original a year ago. It was a good game. So, if they improve the story and graphics and put more stuff in it, I’m excited to see the new one.

When the Indiegogo crowd-funder came along I backed for the reason stated above but, owing to being broke and only expecting it to be a general re-make, I only backed at a low level. Considering how much larger it is with massively enhanced graphics I intend to buy another copy on release and gift it to a friend. I reckon the work put in by Jan and Lukas deserves at least that commitment from me.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Played the original edition, and now playing the new version (download). Couldn’t resist to back the Indiegogo crowd-funding, for I knew it would become something special. Thoroughly enjoying J.U.L.I.A: Among the Stars, with its amazing HD graphics and entertaining puzzles. Great job! [The game is available on Steam and from the developer’s drm-free store.]

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Nest game on my to-play list, in fact I plan on starting it today.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I like it so far, been playing it for around 2 hours. I also played the original game but it was a long time ago so it´s hard for me to say how different the game is from the original. Apart from the hd graphics it looks like it has more puzzles, and the story is upgraded.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Got the game when it was released on Steam, only saw the intro but it set a cool space ambiance, I look forward to playing it when I have time.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

El Manny - 23 September 2014 02:14 PM

I like it so far, been playing it for around 2 hours. I also played the original game but it was a long time ago so it´s hard for me to say how different the game is from the original. Apart from the hd graphics it looks like it has more puzzles, and the story is upgraded.

I finished the game and can tell you it’s a great improve from the original. The story still the same, just a change in some puzzles (the battle with the monster is now much better to resolve) and the better quality of the HD graphics. Still, a very good game now with the changes.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Just finished it in a few long session, simply because once I got started I couldn’t tear myself away from the game. It is really a great game, with a good setting, a nice feeling of exploring alien worlds, solving the mystery of what happened to the rest of the expedition, and some intelligent puzzle.

But it also left me with a few questions that might or might not have been explained in the game, and I just somehow missed it, and perhaps a few plot-holes or things that doesn’t quite add up:

1) [spoiler]When they enter the solar system, Rachel isn’t woken from cryogenic sleep like the rest of the crew, but is instead “sentenced” to cryogenic prison, but why?
From Ian Darlington’s datapad we know the he suspected that she wasn’t guilty of what she had been accused of, and that he suspected that it might be part of a plan of Andrew Lark to stage a coup. But as far as I know it was never explained what she had been accused of or why she hadn’t been woken in the first place with the rest of the crew, why she wasn’t given a chance to defend herself, or for that matter why Lark should consider her more dangerous for his ambitions that the rest of the crew.
Julia would or should have know this, so why doesn’t she tell it to Rachel / us the player, when she confesses everything else?[/spoiler]

2) [spoiler]The crew (Larke) decided to wipe out the Ambrosians to cover up that they had shot on them, but why?
Who are they trying to hide this from?
Earth is a far away, and if they ever return to Earth, only what they decide to tell or what Julia reports, will become public knowledge, so shutting up Julia seems to be the only way to actually hide this from Earth.
As far as we know, the expedition never learned about the alien entity on Hermes, so they can’t be trying to hide it from them. The Ancients are both long gone, would probably have approved on shorting the Ambrosians, and once again the crew didn’t know about them.
On top of that it seem to me like wiping out an entire species with a blast from space, would be far more difficult to hide, than the shooting they are trying to cover up.[/spoiler]

3) [spoiler]Then there is the signal that caused the expedition to be sent to this solar system in the first place. Presumable it was sent by the Ancients, but why?
If they really was that bad, as the punishments of the Ambrosians seems to indicate, and it caused the Alien(s) on Hermes to breaks its neutrality and banish them, why would they then want to contact Earth? If they had evil intentions an invasion of Earth and something similar to what they did to the Ambrosians seems much more likely. It seems like there is much more to this story, that deliberately aren’t being told.[/spoiler]

4) Rachel keeps talking about how much Humans must have evolved while she was gone, that she is now the equivalent of of a Neanderthal and might be put in a cage or something similar, but evolution doesn’t happen that fast! Mankind basically hasn’t evolved since the stone age even though our society has, a more appropriate comparison would be like a medieval person arriving in our modern society, challenging but nothing like what Rachel fears.
Now I must admit that I can’t remember how long the journey from Earth took, but Rachel only spend an extra 60 years in cryo-sleep, which is most likely just a fraction of the time she was in cryo-sleep totally, so this must have been something she was prepared for before she volunteered for this expedition in the first place - or did the journey only take a few years?

5) Finally there is the whole HAL thing with Julia. Is it just me or does it seem like massive overkill to wipe out the entire expedition? As far as I can tell it was only really Lark who was the evildoer here, so it seems like Julia’s decision wasn’t entirely rational! Now killing of only Lark and not being shut off herself might not have been practical possible, but it still feels a bit too much like a repetition of the HAL theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top