• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Part 2 Gasp

As said before I’m apolitical so don’t keep up with the who’s who of politicians so I really can’t say much about Stephen Crabb. From his beginnings in life it seems he has a very grounded background both in and towards life. A bit on the young side but that might be no bad thing.
As to the other leading players for Conservative Leader then - where do you go? It’s the same if Corbyn gets ousted. Who the hell is there on that side. So very few genuine Statesmen of any political flavour around nowadays. The ones with true beliefs are seen as unelectable as they must be seen in the middle - wherever that is. Give me a Maggie, Tony Benn, Enoch Powell, Dennis Skinner any day of the week. They fundamentally believed in what they said and were willing to argue it with anyone. You knew exactly where they stood. Jeremy Corbyn is probably the nearest we’ve got to that nowadays and look at what is happening to him!

Going back to the Conservatives. Intellectually then probably Michael Gove. The big, big problem with him, as you probably know, is that he just doesn’t know how to discuss or debate without become verbally dictatorial. He may not mean to be but that’s certainly his demeanour. Gets everyone’s back up and I don’t blame them. Plus, of course, he, in the past, has advocated the privatising of the NHS. Oh dear Frown
Of the others then Theresa May is probably the least worst but that’s not saying much.

Hope you sort your Dollars out but, thinking about how the Pound is suffering, you might actually be better off paying in Dollars Tongue

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 27 June 2016 03:06 PM

Yes,  What should have happened during the referendum was that a template of how Brexit could be worked to the satisfaction of all with the best interests of the Country at the forefront. This, as we know, didn’t happen. But then again, the debate (Hah! What bloody debate. I have never come across such an absolutely appalling lack of coherent and structured argument in all of my days. Both sides should be utterly ashamed of themselves) had nothing of substance in it anyway.

Agreed!  Thumbs Up

Thanks Jabod for your interesting post plus part 2 which I’ve read all of avidly & completely respect your knowledge, experience & opinion of events….  but did I really inadvertently accuse you personally of racism? Smile

On the subject of a new Prime Minister no-one in the immediate frame appeals to me with Stephen Crabb just being a possibility.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 27 June 2016 10:59 AM

How many people will Wilders get behind him if there ever was one? Would he reach 20%?

I have no illusions left about the Dutch. Many people are in favour of leaving the EU, and for all the wrong reasons. “We want the guilder back!“The polls indicate there might be a Nexit if the government was stupid enough to initiate a referendum. But that’s not going to happen. Wilders may become much more powerful after the 2017 elections, but he can’t do it on his own. That’s one of the advantages of coalition governments. 

The guy’s a joke pretty much in the same vein as Trump is a joke.

They are both dangerous jokes.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jabod - 27 June 2016 10:00 AM

BTW. With regard to that petition it was actually started prior to the referendum by someone from the “English Democrats” because he thought that leave would fail by a narrow margin and, up to the referendum itself had, I think, only attracted 32 signatories. Three things from that. Firstly it was proposing retrospective legislation which isn’t allowed. Had the motion become law it would only take effect for any future referendum. Secondly don’t prejudge outcomes and try to protect yourself from it. Look what happened.  Tongue And thirdly. As said the petition only had 32 signatories until it became apparent that the result would be leave. Then millions (plus sock-puppets) signed up. Shows what hypocrites they are otherwise they would have signed up at the beginning. It also sadly shows what an incredibly immature country we’ve become which saddens me greatly and the behaviour of both sides (both within Parliament and the general population) after the fact adds to that sadness immeasurably.

The “Leave” camp (and I think Boris Johnson in particular) had stated beforehand that if they lost by a small margin, they’d immediately petition for a second referendum.
That means both parties had the same idea.

Jabod - 27 June 2016 11:55 AM

Would it have happened if the votes were the exact reverse? I expect it would have done Frown

Indeed. Announced beforehand and everything!

chrissie - 27 June 2016 11:28 AM

I’m already saddened to see that the Polish in the last few days have been the target of some hatred & I don’t know about anywhere else but in my neck of the woods they’re well-liked & regarded as hard-working people.

The sad part is that most of them are not “recent” immigrants. They’ve been there for years, often even second generation (and if they were born in the UK, that makes them British).

chrissie - 27 June 2016 01:25 PM

As likeable as Boris Johnson is I despair at the thought of him being PM (he’s just lied too much)

Likeable? Isn’t that guy a total buffoon?

Jabod - 27 June 2016 03:06 PM

But then again, the debate (Hah! What bloody debate. I have never come across such an absolutely appalling lack of coherent and structured argument in all of my days. Both sides should be utterly ashamed of themselves) had nothing of substance in it anyway.

It was a bit like an American Presidential campaign debate, then. Smile

Karlok - 27 June 2016 05:00 PM

They are both dangerous jokes.

No argument there.

Wilders is especially dangerous as he’s a lot more clever than he often lets on, and he’s very VERY shrewd.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Clown Boris wants a soft Brexit. Which clearly implies free movement. I’d call that outright betrayal after a campaign based on anti-immigration sentiments.  Out is out. No cherry picking. No Norwegian or Swiss deals.

No offence to any British posters, but I’m inclined to think the EU will be much better off without Great Britain. They always were a pain in EU’s ass. And now chaos reigns, both sides want a second referendum, the whole thing is a farce.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 28 June 2016 03:52 AM
chrissie - 27 June 2016 01:25 PM

As likeable as Boris Johnson is I despair at the thought of him being PM (he’s just lied too much)

Likeable? Isn’t that guy a total buffoon?

Yes! That’s why he’s likeable but as such not fit to govern the country especially as the coward seems to have been lying low the last few days.

Karlok - 28 June 2016 04:28 AM

No offence to any British posters, but I’m inclined to think the EU will be much better off without Great Britain.

None taken. Fair comments.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 27 June 2016 03:23 PM

As to the other leading players for Conservative Leader then - where do you go?

Anyone except Boris Johnson! (& he’s the favourite at the moment) It’s a pity that George Osborne won’t consider going for the leadership but hope he’s retained in a prominent position.  2nd favourite is Theresa May - I’m not sure & the ideal would be a candidate with the flamboyance of BJ & the brains of TM.

Jabod - 27 June 2016 03:23 PM

It’s the same if Corbyn gets ousted. Who the hell is there on that side. So very few genuine Statesmen of any political flavour around nowadays. The ones with true beliefs are seen as unelectable as they must be seen in the middle - wherever that is. Give me a Maggie, Tony Benn, Enoch Powell, Dennis Skinner any day of the week. They fundamentally believed in what they said and were willing to argue it with anyone. You knew exactly where they stood. Jeremy Corbyn is probably the nearest we’ve got to that nowadays and look at what is happening to him!

I hope the Labour Party get themselves sorted out as there is the possibility of a general election later in the year & in the absence of a cohesive LP the only other main choice would be UKIP led by that manner-less ‘thug’ Nigel Farage who as a politician should have got his points across far more eloquently than the brash & rude way that he addressed the European Parliament earlier today.  His attitude wasn’t so far from the mentality shown by the perpetrators of increased race crime over the last few days.

However dedicated Jeremy Corbyn is he needs to GO!  as his shadow cabinet, after so many resignations, is now made up of ‘2nd choices’ which don’t to me invoke confidence.

There’s also talk of another referendum but not to reverse the Brexit result but to, I think, ‘sound out’ terms & conditions.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

chrissie - 28 June 2016 10:00 AM

& in the absence of a cohesive LP the only other main choice would be UKIP led by that manner-less ‘thug’ Nigel Farage who as a politician should have got his points across far more eloquently than the brash & rude way that he addressed the European Parliament earlier today.

At least Nigel Farage made his point with actual cohesive sentences.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

nomadsoul - 28 June 2016 12:31 PM

Damn, never thought Europeans can hate esch other like this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/28/britains-850000-polish-citizens-face-backlash-after-brexit-vote/
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/26/racist-messages-appear-near-school-telling-poles-to-go-home-following-brexit-5967257/
http://www.lbc.co.uk/im-so-scared-now-german-woman-hit-by-xenophobia-calls-james-in-tears-132971

Poop, vermin…
Shit hit the fan

What do you know! Hate crimes committed in the UK. Not too surprisingly brain dead idiots doing things like this are everywhere, even Canada:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2634032/hate-crimes-against-muslim-canadians-more-than-doubled-in-3-years/

(Chrissie: I’ll be further responding to your good self in a couple of days as I’m busy. I will, of course, be doing it in a pleasant and, hopefully, informative way without resorting to the ways of a certain other poster around here Smile ).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jabod - 28 June 2016 02:26 PM
nomadsoul - 28 June 2016 12:31 PM

Damn, never thought Europeans can hate esch other like this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/28/britains-850000-polish-citizens-face-backlash-after-brexit-vote/
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/26/racist-messages-appear-near-school-telling-poles-to-go-home-following-brexit-5967257/
http://www.lbc.co.uk/im-so-scared-now-german-woman-hit-by-xenophobia-calls-james-in-tears-132971

Poop, vermin…
Shit hit the fan

What do you know! Hate crimes committed in the UK. Not too surprisingly brain dead idiots doing things like this are everywhere, even Canada:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2634032/hate-crimes-against-muslim-canadians-more-than-doubled-in-3-years/

(Chrissie: I’ll be further responding to your good self in a couple of days as I’m busy. I will, of course, be doing it in a pleasant and, hopefully, informative way without resorting to the ways of a certain other poster around here Smile ).

Muslim hate is not a news bro.
Not in canada, not even in Australia.
Britishers had friction with muslims too.
Who doesnt nowadays?

Europeans hating each other is The news.
Never knew Britishers can be more narrow minded towards Germans and polish.
Their kindred spirits.

You missed the point.
No donuts for you.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the Man in Black ... is chillin

no seriously he is EVIL!  Heart

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lol Advie, was just about to ask you what you thought about it Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 01 July 2016 05:35 PM

Lol Advie, was just about to ask you what you thought about it Smile

Laughing he is the best thing happened so far to this adaptation

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Who is the mysterious chillin’ guy? Google acts stupid and comes up with the best guesses male, person and suitPan

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top