• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

wilco - 21 October 2014 09:48 AM

Yeah, it’s not a Telltale game, it has exploration and puzzles. So far easy but it’s the beginning of the game.

Ragnar’s always said that the game will start fairly easy but get more difficult later on…though I doubt that will mean lots of traditional adventure puzzlers. At any rate, with the split now into 5 parts, I’d imagine most “experienced adventurers” will find the 1st “book” fairly straightforward.

wilco - 21 October 2014 09:48 AM

Love the dialogue system with the thoughts (but hate the “X character will remember that” message… Why wouldn’t they unless they have short-term memory loss?!?)

LOL. From a game-mechanic point of view, it’s understandable why the comment is there, but it is potentially a bit of an immersion-breaker…

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

wilco - 21 October 2014 09:25 AM

Played it for 3 hours. Loving it! Fully delivers so far.

About the same for me. Can’t wait to get home to play some more.

@darthmaul:  Welcome back to bashing another game you will never play. Just don’t kill this thread like you did with Broken Age Laughing

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Fooling around Stark.

Not a single dull moment. In terms of storytelling and long conversations, Ragnar and Co.
have not lost a bit.

Kian’s Voice delivery is rock solid.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

nomadsoul - 21 October 2014 03:02 PM

Not a single dull moment. In terms of storytelling and long conversations, Ragnar and Co.
have not lost a bit.

Not entirely sure that’s a good thing…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

A.A - 21 October 2014 04:36 PM
nomadsoul - 21 October 2014 03:02 PM

have not lost a bit.

Not entirely sure that’s a good thing…

Its definitely not less gamey than Dreamfall, so thats a positive sign i guess.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Bonsai - 21 October 2014 02:25 PM
wilco - 21 October 2014 09:25 AM

Played it for 3 hours. Loving it! Fully delivers so far.

About the same for me. Can’t wait to get home to play some more.

@darthmaul:  Welcome back to bashing another game you will never play. Just don’t kill this thread like you did with Broken Age Laughing

It is important to point out the focus of a game.  It was telling that everyone here spoke about superficial things like graphics, sound, etc.  Going to the linked site showed that puzzles were “simple.”  If pointing out the facts about a game is now “bashing,” then I don’t know what to say.  Some people look for puzzles.  Some look for interactive fiction.  People should know what they are getting into.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

darthmaul - 21 October 2014 06:50 PM

It is important to point out the focus of a game.  It was telling that everyone here spoke about superficial things like graphics, sound, etc.  Going to the linked site showed that puzzles were “simple.”  If pointing out the facts about a game is now “bashing,” then I don’t know what to say.  Some people look for puzzles.  Some look for interactive fiction.  People should know what they are getting into.

It’s oversimplifying to state those as the two binary types. There’s a broad spectrum of adventure games in terms of challenge and complexity of puzzle design. It’s wrong to say that games like this and Broken Age are in the same category as Walking Dead or Heavy Rain.

Some people want super hard puzzles, some want no puzzles, but guess what? Some people also want a game that will make them stop and think about a puzzle for a minute, but not bash their head against the wall for an hour. This is actually the hardest type of game to design, too.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve put in a couple of hours now. The game is simply amazing. The voices, graphics, writing, all of it.

I really wouldn’t descirbe it as similar game to Walking Dead. It is story heavy, but at the same time it gives you a lot more freedom. And a lot more puzzles as well. The gameplay is very much similar to the first Dreamfall, but at the same time, at least from what I can tell my initial run, it also has more puzzles in it as well. Some of them even your standard inventory combination puzzles.

Granted, nothing outstandigly difficult at first, but then again those all are pretty much ingame tutorial to show the ropes to the players. I don’t expect the puzzles to turn into extremely HC Shadowgate like experience either, as that wasn’t the goal of this game, but from the looks of it they will also be more complex than what the first Dreamfall offered. And the puzzle dificulty will most certainly be more dificult than TWD offered.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

I had early access so I started playing last night & had a few problems getting through the first scenes. Not sure if it was the bugs but once I progressed to the second chapter it played okay. Very much like longest Journey with updated graphics. The puzzles were easy especially at friar keep. they were just logical puzzles & not stupid puzzles which made you combine silly things. so far all is going well.

the only complaint would be the length of time going to the next scene, playing on quad processor with 768mb video card. changed to pc with 2gb video card & no difference. Now this length of time could be the auto saving feature.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

tomimt - 22 October 2014 03:20 AM

And the puzzle dificulty will most certainly be more dificult than TWD offered.

Largely on account of there actually BEING puzzles, though, let’s face it. Wink

Anyway, I’m glad people are enjoying it. There’s been a smackload of negativity- deserved or otherwise- around recent adventures on this forum (Sherlock Holmes, Gabriel Knight), so I’m glad some of the naysayers of those games are at least enjoying this one.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I’ve put in a couple of hours now. The game is simply amazing. The voices, graphics, writing, all of it.

I really wouldn’t descirbe it as similar game to Walking Dead. It is story heavy, but at the same time it gives you a lot more freedom. And a lot more puzzles as well. The gameplay is very much similar to the first Dreamfall, but at the same time, at least from what I can tell my initial run, it also has more puzzles in it as well. Some of them even your standard inventory combination puzzles.

Granted, nothing outstandigly difficult at first, but then again those all are pretty much ingame tutorial to show the ropes to the players. I don’t expect the puzzles to turn into extremely HC Shadowgate like experience either, as that wasn’t the goal of this game, but from the looks of it they will also be more complex than what the first Dreamfall offered. And the puzzle dificulty will most certainly be more dificult than TWD offered.

This something to make me excited enough and look forward to, uh finally something BIG and good!!

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Frogacuda - 22 October 2014 12:34 AM
darthmaul - 21 October 2014 06:50 PM

It’s oversimplifying to state those as the two binary types. There’s a broad spectrum of adventure games in terms of challenge and complexity of puzzle design. It’s wrong to say that games like this and Broken Age are in the same category as Walking Dead or Heavy Rain.

Some people want super hard puzzles, some want no puzzles, but guess what? Some people also want a game that will make them stop and think about a puzzle for a minute, but not bash their head against the wall for an hour. This is actually the hardest type of game to design, too.

It might be “wrong” in your opinion.  I don’t share that same opinion.  In theory, there should be a spectrum.  I find that in reality, games are being designed on opposite spectrums.  Games that are cakewalks and games that offer a challenge.  There are rarely games in between nowadays, in my opinion.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

And the puzzle dificulty will most certainly be more dificult than TWD offered.

That isn’t saying much though…

From adventuregamers’ review of Dreamfall-

“I use the word “puzzle” loosely where Dreamfall is concerned…these tasks are few and far between, and offer nothing that should cause you to break a mental sweat…But still, seriously compounding the simplicity of Dreamfall’s puzzles is the general lack of them entirely.”

“Between safes I didn’t need to crack to codes I didn’t need to decrypt to inventory items I didn’t need to procure…it did diminish my involvement in the game, and with that my sense of accomplishment.”

This is how such games were received back in 2006.  Games with barely any puzzles or just cakewalks were criticized.  Now, people say, “Pretty graphics and voice acting!  This game is great!”  Oh well.  Still, it is important to point out to people which type of game this is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Is anyone having perfomance issues in Europolis? Probably my PC that is not up to date… Game generally stutters but in some crowded places in Europolis (for example chinese market) it stops for a second or 2, specially when running.

The City does look lively, lots of interesting stuff happening just by cruising around

Please stop complaining about the puzzles until someone actually finishes the game… Of course all opinions are superficial so far, they are first impressions!!!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s loads of performance issues in Europolis. They outside area is pretty poorly optimized and even people with super rigs are having lag issues. There’s been similar issues in other Unity games as well, but in example of Wasteland 2 inXile has managed to boost performance quite a bit with patches.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top