• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

lakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

This is something of a random thought that doesn’t really have to do with Thimbleweed Park so much as with adventure games in general, but I really like this animated gif . . .

I don’t mean the art—though I’m fine with the art and think the style works for what this is trying to be.

I mean the way that the animation gradually forms the command “Use balloon animal with corpse,” a crazy input which makes you wonder how the game will respond, and then . . . the gif loops back to the beginning so you’re suspended in that moment of anticipation.

Adventure games are magical for many different reasons. Wondering how the game world will respond to your input is one of them, for me. Even in non-comedy games, there’s an appeal in reaching out toward the game world and trying something, not knowing what will happen. This gif represents that in a silly but surprisingly elegant way.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

In many ways this game feels like a direct challenge to those who gripe that Broken Age isn’t old school enough. Personally I’m pretty stoked for this, not because I’m particularly a fan of Maniac Mansion or Zak McKrakken but because there is simply something charming and intuitive about verb menus. From the looks of it, based on these screen shot mock ups (and let’s be clear, these are clearly animated mock ups with limited assets, not nessisarily fully functioning final gameplay) the verbs won’t be as insane as MM or Zak, rather closer to MI2.

Also, for all those bitching about ‘poor graphics’, give it a rest. Intentional style doesn’t equal ‘poor’. In fact it’s often more challenging to create primitive looking style, since modern art tools are so powerful, and today’s computer artists aren’t nessiserily experienced with pixil Art. And obviously this game is going to be full HD with millions of colors. Instead of the old days of low res and 8 or 256 colors with limited sprite loading. This game is going to look damn good in action.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

thejobloshow - 22 November 2014 05:27 PM

It’s not even nostalgia, it’s like being in on a secret little thing between you and the game designer.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Kickstarter reinforces that feeling. 

Jim Purcell - 22 November 2014 08:18 PM

Also, for all those bitching about ‘poor graphics’, give it a rest.

Not liking the graphics is not the same thing as “bitching”.

Intentional style doesn’t equal ‘poor’.

Nobody said it did. Is it hard for you to accept that some people are turned off by the graphics?

In fact it’s often more challenging to create primitive looking style, since modern art tools are so powerful, and today’s computer artists aren’t nessiserily experienced with pixil Art.

If it’s THAT challenging, let those inexperienced computer artists make some beautiful graphics that wouldn’t tax them so much!

And obviously this game is going to be full HD with millions of colors. Instead of the old days of low res and 8 or 256 colors with limited sprite loading. This game is going to look damn good in action.

Yeah? I go by what they show me and I don’t like what I see. People also assume there will be voiceacting. But 1987 didn’t come with voiceacting.

EDIT: I’ve read the latest update. Voices will cost another $250,000. Hehehe…

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

It’s almost like voice actors like to eat.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jim Purcell - 23 November 2014 01:34 AM

You missed the point.

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Karlok - 23 November 2014 01:43 AM
Jim Purcell - 23 November 2014 01:34 AM

You missed the point.

Did I? Because it sounded like you were scoffing at this game daring to ask for more money because you don’t care for the look of it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jim Purcell - 23 November 2014 01:46 AM

Did I?

Yes. Not just you. It seems like everybody’s got their own unique expectations of a customized mix of modern and outdated stuff.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Also, for all those bitching about ‘poor graphics’, give it a rest.

But, the graphics are poor artistically. Just because some people doesn’t care about esthetics, doesn’t make it right to deny those who do care to share how they feel about it. It certainly isn’t right to downgrade it into plain “bitching”. For a lot of people, the looks of a game is of great significance to immersion. If the game was already released, I’d understand why one might use such a word, but it’s still in a state where people can have an influence (however small) on how the project shapes up, and as such, there’s no better time to speak up about whatever issues people may have with what they’ve seen of the game so far.

In fact it’s often more challenging to create primitive looking style

This is not true, atleast not in this case. It’s like saying it’s more challenging to pick an apple than it is to make an apple pie. Speaking from 30 years of drawing experience with pencil and paper, brush and canvas, and a multitude of computer painting programs from deluxe paint on Amiga in the late 80’s/early 90’s, to Adobe photoshop which I use today - the art style of Maniac Mansion is not challenging in any sense of the word (beyond learning how to make giant sized pixels represent a recognizable object) nor does having more powerful tools at your disposal complexify an existing art style. From an artists perspective, I struggle to understand how Gary Winnick can be excited about doing this full time for the next 18 months.

I’d personally be very hesitant to engage myself into any art project that presents no challenge whatsoever, and if I did, it would be impossible for me to be passionate about it, it would be all about the money. So, from a business perspective, their graphical choice is easy to understand. Ron’s gonna have his hands full, but Gary is gonna have quite the vacation, as the art for this game can easily be done within a few days.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Dag - 23 November 2014 05:12 AM

For a lot of people, the looks of a game is of great significance to immersion.

You’re right, the look of a game is about immersion. And the look of this game is ALL ABOUT immersion. The immersion of playing a game that might have existed in the late 80s/early 90s. Higher graphic fidelity in the style would negate that immersion.

In fact it’s often more challenging to create primitive looking style

This is not true, atleast not in this case. It’s like saying it’s more challenging to pick an apple than it is to make an apple pie. Speaking from 30 years of drawing experience with pencil and paper, brush and canvas, and a multitude of computer painting programs from deluxe paint on Amiga in the late 80’s/early 90’s, to Adobe photoshop which I use today - the art style of Maniac Mansion is not challenging in any sense of the word (beyond learning how to make giant sized pixels represent a recognizable object) nor does having more powerful tools at your disposal complexify an existing art style. From an artists perspective, I struggle to understand how Gary Winnick can be excited about doing this full time for the next 18 months.

I’d personally be very hesitant to engage myself into any art project that presents no challenge whatsoever, and if I did, it would be impossible for me to be passionate about it, it would be all about the money. So, from a business perspective, their graphical choice is easy to understand. Ron’s gonna have his hands full, but Gary is gonna have quite the vacation, as the art for this game can easily be done within a few days.

Its one thing to hold an opinion. Its another thing to be completely smug about it.

As an artist you should appreciate abstract artwork like this and the kind of enjoyment an artist might get out of it working on it for any length of time.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Jim Purcell - 23 November 2014 05:33 AM

Its one thing to hold an opinion. Its another thing to be completely smug about it.

Smug? I get easily bored when doing things that doesn’t provide any challenge, yes, but as an adventure gamer you should be no stranger to appreciating a challenge.

I really didn’t mean to sound smug about anything, I apologize if it came off that way, but it annoyed me that you’re basically telling ppl that have issues with the art to shut up. I could follow suit and tell you to shut up in return, but I thought I’d instead make an effort to provide some reasoning as to why I feel the way I feel. Mentioning that I have some experience both with traditional and digital art makes sense in that context. You made no attempt to try to understand my position, that much is clear. I said nothing about my artistic skill level, except my previous post implied that I consider it to be above that of Maniac Mansion, but really, that’s NOT something that can be considered bragging. Would I sound smug to you if I say that playing Tom Dooley on a guitar presents no challenge?

As an artist you should appreciate abstract artwork like this and the kind of enjoyment an artist might get out of it working on it for any length of time.

Why should I appreciate artwork I find lackluster, uninspiring and unappealing? I tend be attracted to artwork that inspires me, impresses me, art that challenges my senses, which is entirely possible within a pixelated retro look.

I am NOT bashing Gary Winnicks abilites! He is a greatly talented and experienced artist, I already said so before in this thread, and that’s what why I find difficult to understand that he’d enjoy doing this type of artwork - he is grossly overqualified for it. I know I would be bored in such a situation, so I expressed some concern about Winnicks ability to enjoy the development. If that compels you to award me with negative adjectives, then so be it, but you’re clearly missing the point.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Voice acting at 600k?? well , shit.

340k right now, hope they make it, highly likely.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dag - 23 November 2014 06:51 AM

I am NOT bashing Gary Winnicks abilites! He is a greatly talented and experienced artist, I already said so before in this thread, and that’s what why I find difficult to understand that he’d enjoy doing this type of artwork - he is grossly overqualified for it.

Is he? All I know about him is what it says on his wikipedia page, but as a digital artist he doesn’t seem to have done much more than Zak and Maniac Mansion. I don’t know what the role of art supervisor entails, because he has supervised some more impressive games like Fate of Atlantis and A Final Unity, but if you say he’s that skilled I’ll take your word being an artist.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

nomadsoul - 23 November 2014 08:05 AM

Voice acting at 600k?? well , shit.

340k right now, hope they make it, highly likely.

At kicktraq it’s currently trending towards $1,756,935. Of course that’s with the initial first few days boost, which has already faded, so it’s not a very likely estimate, but 600k seems very doable.

I really hope they get there, Ron’s brilliant dialogue deserve to be accompanied by brilliant voice acting.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

All things considering the voice acting stretch is pretty much done deal. This has been going along with the trends that were more common after Double Fine, so I’m fully expecting this to do 200-300k during the final sprint. I’m surprised if this does less than 700k really.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Oscar - 23 November 2014 08:16 AM

Is he? All I know about him is what it says on his wikipedia page, but as a digital artist he doesn’t seem to have done much more than Zak and Maniac Mansion. I don’t know what the role of art supervisor entails, because he has supervised some more impressive games like Fate of Atlantis and A Final Unity, but if you say he’s that skilled I’ll take your word being an artist.

Well, I remember reading a comic series in the nineties that was done by Gary Winnick and Steve Purcell that had Marvel style art. It’s a long time ago, and I don’t remember the name or exactly how it looked, but I’m confident saying it was, technically, leagues above what’s seen in Maniac Mansion and Zac. I don’t how they shared the workload, but they were both doing art for it, so I always assumed Winnick was on the same level as Purcell, whom I’m sure you’ll agree is amazing.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top