• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

are there any stoppable adventure games?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-04-16

PM

Hi,
I hope that someone can help me. I’m Italian and I’m trying to find some adventure games to improve my English. I prefer a game with british accent but it’s not very important. The important thing is that the games must be with stoppable dialogue so I can use a dictionary to check the meaning of a word that I don’t know. By stoppable dialogue I mean that I want the game just to pause so I can read the subtitle properly until I press a button or a click of mouse for the game to continue; or there is another one alternative where I press a button for the game to stop and then press again for the game to continue without exiting the game completely or going to a menu with other options. For example this alternative is used by a game that I’ve played called “The Stanley Parable”.
It would be perfect if there were an emulator that permits me to launch a pc game, any game I want, so I can pause it even if that game doesn’t originally have the pause fuction.
In fact every emulator that I’ve used (gameboy, psx, ps2) has the pause function in-built.

I hope I’ve been clear and that someone can help me.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle automatically pauses the dialogue until you press a button, but the actors are using a fake Spanish accent, so it might not be the best for the purpose of learning English. I’m pretty sure there is also others that has this option, but I unfortunately don’t remember which.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-04-16

PM

fileita10 - 18 April 2014 07:36 AM

It would be perfect if there were an emulator that permits me to launch a pc game, any game I want, so I can pause it even if that game doesn’t originally have the pause fuction.
In fact every emulator that I’ve used (gameboy, psx, ps2) has the pause function in-built.

Do you know anything like this?

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

All of the old LucasArts adventures
Pause: Spacebar
Accent: American

I think you can pause at anytime in Tales of Monkey Island with the spacebar, but I’m not sure of it.

Simon the Sorcerer
Pause: Pause button
Accent: British

The Feeble Files
Pause: Pause button
Accent: British

Broken Sword II
Pause: P
Accent: American/French
(I haven’t tried to pause with the remastered edition, but it comes with the original)

I don’t know of anything exactly like what you want, however you can use ScummVM to easily play all of these games.

Also make sure that you turn on the subtitles in the ScummVM audio settings.
(alternatively you could push Ctrl-t in game to switch between ‘Speech only’, ‘Speech and Subtitles’ and ‘Subtitles only’)

And here is the Scummvm readme that I got all this info from.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top