• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 29 September 2014 08:35 AM

Ah, no reply to my guess that the child is called Wonkers! I believe I hit too close to the truth Wink

Speculate all you want, I highly doubt you’ll guess it. Especially since it was mostly the missus’s suggestion… Wink

Re: the smartphone thing: the missus doesn’t have a preferred platform, so that means I get to pick, which automatically means android. Cool
As for the budget, as low as possible of course. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so GOOD, so I can say easily ‘watch this for your life’

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s great, Advie! Where can I “like” you?

Naughty

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thanks Karlok Heart  Kiss

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Here follows a boring/gross story about what I did last night. Please do feel free to ignore it, but I just wanted to share for some reason and didn’t want to give Mrs Degree all the gory details.

For a few years now a fish tank on the sideboard in our lounge has played home to some Giant African Land Snails. We had 3 of them and they were Mrs Degree’s pets (a “gift” from the school where she used to work), but I will leave you to guess who was assigned the task of changing the compost at the bottom of the heavy tank whenever it needed changing!

We had 3 snails which grew up to about 6-8 inches (the shells alone) and they were pretty cool and easy to look after as they eat salad every now and then, drank water, didn’t need to be fed very much and couldn’t run away from you! Until recently, only one was still alive but seemed happy enough slowly sliding around the tank.

However last night Mrs Degree was going out and told me that there was a little bit of a smell coming from the tank and it might be the case that our last snail had finally slithered off to the big lettuce in the sky (or whatever happens to them - in my experience usually the bin!).

Although you don’t exactly get too emotionally attached to snails she didn’t want to check it out and potentially deal with snail remains and so (once again) I got snail inspection duties with a request to act as physician or mortician depending on the circumstances.

I should say that it isn’t immediately obvious if a snail is dead because it’s not exactly unusual for them to be completely still (or move very slowly) for ages and the shell stays intact afterwards anyway.

*** From here on things get a bit more gory so if you are particularly squeamish it’s probably time to stop reading.***

As soon as I opened the tank I was greeted by the unpleasant smell of decomposing slimy things and I pretty much knew what had happened. The smell seriously made me feel ill but I knew I had to get things cleaned up and smelling OK again before Mrs Degree got back home.

The shells of snails are very much part of them and grow with them so you cannot take a snail out of its shell without killing it. However, when I gingerly picked up the shell there was a horrible sucking noise and part of the slimy little fella oozed and plopped out into the tank. The smell was unbelievable and coupled with the sucking sound and the glistening sluggish remains my stomach turned seriously! I managed to get it out into a bag and away from the tank.

Here comes the worst bit. Mrs Degree likes to keep the shells after the snails have died (I did this with the last two) and therefore the role of mortician fell to me. Although half of the old guy had come out already, that meant there was half a stinking, glistening, decomposing snail stuck in the depths of that shell. Touching snails when they are alive is a little bit icky but when they are decomposing and you have to reach into the shell… I actually felt pretty freaked out about it.

Having experienced doing this twice before, I knew that what was left in the shell wasn’t going to come out easily so I went for the pliers and had to forcibly remove the sloppy remains (still surprisingly well fixed to the depths of the shell) before dumping them in the rubbish bag and running the shell under water to clean out as best I could.

I can’t begin to tell you how horrible that is to do and the smell is easily the worst part.

Luckily I managed the whole operation, including spraying serious quantities of air freshener, before Mrs Degree returned and then as soon as she got back dashed out to the bin with the carefully wrapped remains and to get some fresh air and try and rid myself of the stench of snaily death!

She was a bit sad that the last snail had died but I couldn’t bring myself to tell her the full gory details which is why I am telling you (or anyone who can be bothered to read this far anyway!)

The shell now sits back in the tank until any last small bits I couldn’t reach with the pliers have dried out and will simply fall off inoffensively in the next week or so.

I still feel dirty now!

TLDR version; Ewwww, Yuck.

RIP snails.

(Not our actual snail! Wink)

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

found this interesting quiz, thought to give a share here, I know someone will like it very much

Image Attachments

1111111111.jpg

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Do you have the answers to these? I’d like to know the one I didn’t get and the ones I wasn’t entirely sure of (marked with question marks)... Tongue

1. Life of Pi
2. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ?
3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
4. ?????
5. Brokeback Mountain
6. Pearl Harbor ?
7. Cinderella ???
8. Thor
9. The Planet of the Apes
10. Titanic
11. The Devil Wears Prada
12. Eat Pray Love
13. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
14. The Ring
15. Edward Scissorhands
16. Forrest Gump ?
17. Babe
18. Kung Fu Panda
19. 27 Dresses
20. Lost in Translation ???
21. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
22. Men in Black ???
23. Happy Feet
24. 2012
25. Independence Day ?
26. Up
27. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ???
28. Final Destination ?
29. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
30. American Pie

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Timovieman, I’m impressed!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 03 October 2014 04:01 PM

Do you have the answers to these? I’d like to know the one I didn’t get and the ones I wasn’t entirely sure of (marked with question marks)... Tongue

Grin all correct sir,

here my reference (only 20 stays controversial)

1Life of Pi
2Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
3HarryPotter: The Goblet of Fire
4I Know What You Did Last Summer
5BrokeBack Mountain
6Pearl Harbor
7Cinderella
8Thor
9Planet of the Apes
10Titanic
11The Devil Wears Prada
12Eat, Pray, Lovee
13ET
14The Ring
15Edward Scissorhands
16Forrest Gump
17Charlottes Web/Babe
18Kungfu Panda
19 27 dresses
20Kiss of a dragon/ Lost in Translation?
21Ninja Turtles
22MIB
23Happy Feet
24 2012
25Independence Dayy
26UP
27Lord of the rings
28Final Destination
29The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
30American Pie

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 03 October 2014 11:05 PM

Timovieman, I’m impressed!

The larger part of my nickname does say “movieMan”... Wink

Advie - 03 October 2014 11:42 PM

4I Know What You Did Last Summer

But the killer used a hook in that film, not a knife. Are you sure this is correct?

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Oh dear Intense! That was a true gesture of love, cleaning up the dead snail and not telling Mrs Degree about your sufferings afterwards! I’m impressed! Grin

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Thinking about the adventure game possibilities for something like this:

(Microsoft’s RoomAlive)

Of course never going to happen, but think about soething like Myst on a setting like that Smile

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

How is everyone not freaking out more about Twin Peaks? Wink

Also, woot for triple-post Tongue (or sorry!)

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Can’t decide whether I want to play the Longest Journey games (for the new one coming out) or the Dark Fall games (for Halloween).

Oh, and hey all! I’ve missed the forums and the people so much. Sorry I’ve drifted away so much. <3

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top