• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nickherc - 13 October 2014 03:15 PM

I can not figure out why people love the 2nd one. I’m mean, it’s a great game, I just really really miss borders. It ruins the whole game for me.

At the time of release it was such a vast improvement over the first game that I used to call it the best game ever. I clocked several hundred hours on it (something I didn’t do with Civ3 - in fact I occasionally went back to Civ2 instead, despite Civ3 having more depth).
But it’s really Civ4 that I consider “the perfect Civilization game”. It’s one of the most balanced games I know…

The best thing about Civ3 and Civ4 is culturally flipping an opponent’s city, making them join peacefully. So satisfying. Grin Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Yeah, I agree about the culture thing. When I felt evil, I played on easiest difficulty and neighbouring cities were constantly joining me Grin. Seeing your Empire grow “organically” was awesome. And building random wonder every 10 turns, oh the joy.
Civ2 had an awesome world war 2 scenario, as I recall it+sounds were way better than in 3rd one. I loved civil wars, when you captured the capital of the enemy. Did that remain in numero 3? I don’t remember.

Now I really feel the urge, to try again the forth one Grin, will try it in the next couple of days Wink.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 13 October 2014 04:01 PM

But it’s really Civ4 that I consider “the perfect Civilization game”. It’s one of the most balanced games I know…

I agree, though one area where I actually think Civ5 is better than Civ4, is that it allows for more overall different long term strategies, whereas the “grab as much land as fast as possible” seems to be the winning strategy in Civ4 especially on the higher levels.

Where I think they screwed things up in Civ5 was in the diplomacy department. One of my favourite things in Civ4 was to play like a real Machiavelli, manipulating my opponents into declaring war against each other, and starting world wars where everybody was a war with someone else, while I simply concentrated on developing my empire and using my resources on peaceful development, whereas everybody else was using their resources on waging war against each other. This option was unfortunately completely removed in Civ5 Frown

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Yeah, they’ve stripped diplomacy to the core, I never figured out why.
Are there any news about civilization 6? What would you like to see in the next civ.

For me, it would be better, far more advanced diplomacy, 10+ random history scenarios, maybe more politics? Some opposition would be fun. More consistent “memory” of other nations (by that I mean If you attacked him 2x in 1000 years, he would be sceptical towards your intentions and would not get bribed with gifts).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nickherc - 15 October 2014 04:08 AM

Are there any news about civilization 6? What would you like to see in the next civ.

Given their “one game every 5 years” schedule, we can probably expect Civ6 next year. Tongue
Haven’t heard anything, though. But then again, I hadn’t heard anything about Civ4 and Civ5 until about a month before their release either…

Civ6 for me should be Civ4 with expanded diplomacy options and a couple of the Civ5 ideas retained (especially the city-states and the two-tile combat without stacks-o-doom).
Chances are I’ll stick to Civ4, though. Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I can not figure out why people love the 2nd one. I’m mean, it’s a great game, I just really really miss borders. It ruins the whole game for me.

Would you defend our cities with haystacks? BUILD CITY WALLS!!!!

Civ 2 is the pinnacle of the series for me. I loved the first one, played it like a maniac but when Civ 2 came out everything changed. The advisors were brilliant and the little video clips cracked me up, I can see why they have never tried to better that part of the game and stayed away from video advisors in future installments. Also cheat mode was absolutely excellent because it gave you the opportunity to try a lot of different things out. I think I learnt more from cheat mode in Civ 2 than anything else in any of the other games.

Funnily enough Civ 3 is the worst one for me by a mile. At first the culture/borders thing really didn’t work for me, and the whole game just felt less alive somehow than Civ 2.

Civ 4 was a great game and Civ 5 is brilliant too but each in different ways.

The funny thing is that I find that once I have started a new one in the series I can’t go back to any older ones for any length of time. Don’t know why because I still like the older ones and 2 more than any.

In terms of Civ 6 (or the next game in the Civ series at least…) https://www.civilization.com/en/games/civilization-beyond-earth/

I never played Alpha Centurai (heard it was terrible) so waiting to see what this will be like. Will probably pick up cheap at some stage in the future even if it doesn’t look so great.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2014 11:26 AM

Civ6 for me should be Civ4 with expanded diplomacy options and a couple of the Civ5 ideas retained (especially the city-states and the two-tile combat without stacks-o-doom).

My thoughts exactly.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

FinishedToite Susume! Nazotoki Castle (Solve and Proceed! The Puzzle Solving Castle) [3DS, eShop), a game born from a project between publisher Arc System Works and the Amusement Media Academy. It’s a cute puzzle game where you guide a bear and a rabbit doll to the end of each stage, solving puzzles on the way. The two have different abilities and you need to switch between them as you try to get both of them to each stage’s exit.

It looks so cute and it plays well, but it is a rather easy game. I wish they had made more difficult stages. But I did have fun with for the couple of hours it lasted.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Finished Azito 3D Kyoto (3DS download) today. Sim Tower + Pacific Rim. It’s a simulation game where you take the role of head of a secret organization and build an underground base. And because all secret bases are destined to be attacked, you need to boobytrap the place, as well as create tokusatsu heroes, giant robots and monsters to help you defend the base. And as you need to finance all this, you also need to have researchers invent new products to sell to the unknowing population in the city above your base (because you wouldn’t want to see your organisation fail just because you couldn’t pay your employees, right?).

It’s a pretty difficult game in the beginning,as it explains very little. You’ll need to figure out a lot of the mechanics on your own, which can be a bit frustrating. The UI isn’t really intuitive either and it feels kinda rough. And it crashed on me several times… Which was especially annoying at the end of the game. Having fended off all the minor enemy attacks, the enemy boss finally decides to do one final rush himself on my base accompanied by his last troops and one kaijuu. So I send my own kaijuu and Super Robot on his kaijuu, while I await the boss and his troops to arrive in my heavily booby-trapped base with a small army of monsters and tokusatsu heroes, only for the game to crash just as the boss was to enter my last (and strongest) line of defense…

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

TimovieMan - 13 October 2014 04:01 PM

At the time of release it was such a vast improvement over the first game that I used to call it the best game ever. I clocked several hundred hours on it (something I didn’t do with Civ3 - in fact I occasionally went back to Civ2 instead, despite Civ3 having more depth).

The best thing about Civ3 and Civ4 is culturally flipping an opponent’s city, making them join peacefully. So satisfying. Grin Innocent

Been playing Civ4 for days now, hell yeah, just what I needed, a new addiction Grin. You were right, the best Civ game.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Just played through Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It doesn’t have a deep story like the main series, but the crazy action more than makes up for it. The art style is also very exaggerated which complements the action. The whole package makes you feel like you’re playing an anime. Good job Platinum Games.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2006-04-07

PM

I just completed Bioshock.

I know.. I know. I’m late to the party. Actually, I started the game 3 times before but never made it past Arcadia. This time I went all the way through to the end. And it was worth it! Having played Bioshock 2 before this, toned down on the overall experience but I was still impressed by the twist. I felt that most of the weapons became useless towards the end and even to kill a normal splicer I had to use almost a full round of my machine gun which was kind of annoying but the plasmids and the crossbow were really fun! I like the shooting in Bioshock 2 more but this is great as well.
I had a blast exploring Rapture but even though I like this setting more than Colombia, I feel that Infinite was more satisfying in terms of storytelling.

9/10

I wholeheartedly recommend the whole series. Even the 2 which most people feel it’s not as good as the original, but I found being a Big Daddy to be really really cool!

Nobody knows what is gonna happen at the end of the line, so you might as well enjoy the trip.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@wicked,

Story of all Bioshocks is incomplete without 2 DLC’s of BioshockInfinite.
So you have to play the 2 DLCs of Infinite to know what actually happened.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2006-04-07

PM

@nomadsoul

Of course. I’m keeping an eye out for the season pass to be on a Steam sale this holiday. It’s high up there on my “to play” list. I have successfully avoided all reviews and spoilers until now. As soon as it’s on a daily deal, i’ll grab it.

Nobody knows what is gonna happen at the end of the line, so you might as well enjoy the trip.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2010-05-14

PM

So i finished “I Wanna be the guy on Hard !! I’M THE GUY!! WOHOOO!! I’m so proud of this, this game was HELL (in a good way).  I don’t think i ever died that much in any videogame.  I couldn’t move on to other games until i beat this one. It mocked me “you weakling”, until i beat the sh#t out of it (yes you could see it has an effect, do not play if you are prone to outburst/rage).

So i might play IWBTG Gaiden, but i’m so exhausted, i’m gonna take a break.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top