• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Name ___ Adventure Games

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

1. Town of ZZT (or any ZZT adventure game of your choice, or Kroz).
2. Bad Mojo
3. Star Control 2 (...generally classified as Adventure, but really a hybrid of everything)
4. Cult (obscure freeware adventure ca. 2000)

Hmm… beyond that, it’s tricky. Most adventure games with a top-down view use a slightly isometric perspective so you can see faces. Games with strict top-down view tend towards strategy/action/RPG/puzzle. And “Adventure” for the Atari isn’t really an adventure game, and if it were, some graphics give the sense of a vaguely isometric perspective. Sorcery! and Sorcery! 2 have top-down maps for the entire game, but… they’re closer to visual novels with lots of adventure elements.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OOPS! I phrased that incorrectly - what I meant is the FAST-TRAVEL map depicting the game world, like the Monkey Island 4 map:

which wouldn’t count as it is slightly isometric.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

WitchOfDoubt - 22 December 2014 05:03 PM

Hmm… beyond that, it’s tricky.

I thought it was quite easy..you could just list the Monkey Island 1-4 series except 3 probably counts as isometric Smile

I’ll go for these four:
FOA

Carol Reed (any, really)

Broken Sword 2.5

PQ4

Can I go on with the list? I love this topic! Smile

(you’re next WitchOfDoubt)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Only Monkey Island 1 has the “total” overhead map, meaning it’s the 90° if you would draw an imaginary line from the point of view to the ground. All others are slightly isometric. So, your #1, #3 and #4 examples are right, but #2 is wrong because it’s slightly isometric. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Ah, see, I thought you meant strictly top-down GAMEPLAY, where you’d only see your character’s head from above and maybe the tips of their feet.

I was able to find 5 examples of that, but it wasn’t trivial!

Name three adventure games where the main character must die for the player to win. It does not count if the death is reversed and the main character recovers, or the main character was dead from the start of the game.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Actually diego, none of the MI titles except MI1 are isometric. Angled, yes, but not equidistant to all positions vertically (like Sanitarium) Wink

Anyway I can’t see how this is different from the MI1 maps.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Witch, can you give an answer and set another task? Tongue

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

I’m not quite sure, but will these do?

Blackwell epiphany Rosa
Dreamfall April
BS4 Ana Maria

I am baaaaaaaack!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

kate me, there’s no “wait for confirmation” rule here Wink

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

Ok, how about…

Name 3 different AG’s ,with 3 easter eggs that point to the same game .  Smile

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

SQ6, LSL6, and Torin’s Passage all have an easter egg involving the song “Girl in the Tower” from KQ6

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sir Fuzzalot, there’s no “wait for confirmation” rule. Shoot.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

WitchOfDoubt - 22 December 2014 10:58 PM

Name three adventure games where the main character must die for the player to win. It does not count if the death is reversed and the main character recovers, or the main character was dead from the start of the game.

kate me - 09 February 2015 03:18 PM

Blackwell epiphany Rosa
Dreamfall April
BS4 Ana Maria

could someone explain me this task, and how those titles fit, “die for the player to win” ?? how come, and win wht; a puzzle, the whole adventure,,, does the player continue the adventure dead afterward, isn’t haunted (deck13) like that, you die at the begining and continue playing the whole adventure as a ghost, or its not this what WitchofDoubt aiming at? I know one game you have to die ‘literally’ in order to solve the puzzle/win the whole game; search for the king:les manley as in order to meet the king, you oughta die, go to heaven and meet him there.
thanks
2nd thought I understand Blackwell epiphany Rosa ‘only’ but still, I will be happy if someone explained the other two titles.

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

The idea was that the main character dies, and remains dead, by the end of the game. The player cannot win unless the main character dies. In some cases, this is directly necessary to solve a puzzle. In others, it’s a CONSEQUENCE of the game. It doesn’t count if you were dead from the beginning. The answers I had in mind included, but were not limited to:

* Trilby’s Notes (graphical with text-input; player must actually type “die” to solve the last puzzle)
* Jinxter (text/graphics; winning CAUSES the player character to be hit by a bus, so this is borderline.)
* Blackwell Epiphany (graphical; player character sacrifices self in noninteractive scene)
* Infidel (text; solving final puzzle kills player character.)
* Heroine’s Mantle (text; player-character must sacrifice self in interactive scene)
* The Walking Dead, Season One (graphical; player character is dying in entire final episode. Must either be shot by another character, or just die. The choice of HOW they die is up to the player.)
* I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (graphical; player-characters are implied to be physically killed when they destroy AM in “winning” ending, and possibly stick around in the computer in a different form. Final screen is a memorial to them.)

Here’s a new challenge, unless Beardalot has one!

Name three adventure games where the final “puzzle” is an ethical dilemma. Bonus points if it has no “right” answer.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

WitchOfDoubt - 16 February 2015 04:14 PM

The idea was that the main character dies, and remains dead, by the end of the game. The player cannot win unless the main character dies. In some cases, this is directly necessary to solve a puzzle. In others, it’s a CONSEQUENCE of the game.

The only graphical adventure I could think of was [spoiler]Golden Gate. Similar ending to Infidel. You finally find the treasure you’ve been hunting and then you drown. I felt cheated when it dawned on me that this was the only ending. [/spoiler]

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top