• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Most overrated/underrated adventure games?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I haven’t played Another Code yet but not sure I could call it overrated anyway, to me it seems it’s actually quite an obscure title. We have few people here praising it but I think a huge chunk of adventure gamers hasn’t even heard about it really.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

millenia - 27 August 2014 02:14 PM

I haven’t played Another Code yet but not sure I could call it overrated anyway, to me it seems it’s actually quite an obscure title. We have few people here praising it but I think a huge chunk of adventure gamers hasn’t even heard about it really.

Its totally their loss, Rika Suzuki is as good as JJ , her writing style is different.
But she does it well, she was basically what made Cing awesome , Glassrose ,2 Another code titles and 2 Hoteldusk ones.

Miss her work.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I completely agree with Another Code and Hotel Dusk being underrated. As far as DS games, I’d actually add Time Hollow and Ghost Trick to the list of underrated adventure games.

One other underrated game that most people seem to hate is Back to the future by Telltale. I actually really enjoyed it, I felt that it followed the movie’s spirit really well and playing it was very nostalgic, bringing childhood memories of watching the movies.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2006-10-03

PM

Overrated: Syberia 1+2, Myst. I don’t think I have ever played a more boring adventure game than Syberia and Myst I don’t even consider an adventure game.

I would also add S(t)inking Island and Paradise on the list, but I don’t think the latter is even regarded as a good game. Sinking Island is just pathetic and uninteresting.

As far as underrated adventure games go, it’s hard for me to tell, as my most favorite games are actually considered one of the best by many (e.g. Fate of Atlantis, Gabriel Knight 1, Monkey Island 3…), but I really liked A Tale of Two Kingdoms and I don’t think many people even know about it.

And in case the Blackwell series is not considered one of the best adventures of this millennium, then it’s underrated as well.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I completely agree with Another Code and Hotel Dusk being underrated. As far as DS games, I’d actually add Time Hollow and Ghost Trick to the list of underrated adventure games.

And we should include Jake Hunter also - I have the Jake Hunter games on the Nintendo DS as well and it is quite good.

I would say underrated on Western PC gaming sites. In Japan, these games sold quite well and adventure games on handhelds are quite common.

This hit me like a brick in 2005, first Europe took over adventure games and then Japan put them out on the Nintendo DS - amazing changes for me.

Now I get Japanese adventure games on the PSVITA - and I’d say Dangaronpa is underrated here in the west.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

nomadsoul - 27 August 2014 01:03 PM
Lambonius - 27 August 2014 12:26 PM
nomadsoul - 27 August 2014 11:45 AM

The creativity of interface, controls and puzzle solving was best use of DS in any AG.
Made PnC obsolete technique.

So it wasn’t just pointing and clicking with the stylus instead of a mouse?

No there was more to it. Its like saying all the features of DS hardware are that of mouse lol.

Oh, the stylus is much worse than the mouse. It’s a failed technology if you ask me. If it worked like it was supposed to, it would be fine, but it doesn’t.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Dag - 26 August 2014 10:28 AM

Overrated: Syberia and Tex Murphy series

DEMON - 27 August 2014 06:57 PM

Overrated: Syberia 1+2, Myst. I don’t think I have ever played a more boring adventure game than Syberia and Myst I don’t even consider an adventure game.

I would also add S(t)inking Island and Paradise on the list, but I don’t think the latter is even regarded as a good game. Sinking Island is just pathetic and uninteresting.

I know it’s a matter of taste, but I am quite surprised that many of you appoint Siberia as an overrated game, that is, from my point of view is an almost perfect game .. the story though simple ... hooks you from the beginning and as it invites us to join in Kate’s journey. .. at least I felt myself completely attracted to the journey she was embarking on, it turned on mobilizing for me… and in terms of graphics, animations and intuitive of the interfaze it seemed amazing to me, and the soundtrack (oh my gosh).

TimovieMan - 26 August 2014 06:44 AM

Underrated: Freddy Pharkas - Frontier Pharmacist (it gets overlooked far too often when talking about Sierra’s catalogue), Escape from Monkey Island (is really good, gets far too much flak for not being quite as brilliant as its predecessors), Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past (seriously, how many of you have played this great DS title? How many of you have even heard about it?)

I quite agree, the game is great and very funny and entertaining .. and underrated, just because it is inevitably compared to its predecessors.

Another underrated game to me is Sherlock Holmes and The Silver Earring. For me it is a great game .. and it is a game in which I really felt was the spirit (as a manner of speaking) of Sherlock Holmes .. the story is engaging and how it is resolved until the final is very well settled . But rarely is named as one of the best Sherlock holmes games, unlike..  many people prefer others Sherlock Holmes games before this one. For me this is one of the best.

PS: Sorry in advance if my English is not perfect.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Gonzosports - 27 August 2014 12:52 PM

The Cat Lady is also severely underrated. I know people love it, but it was simply astounding to me, and the best graphic adventure I’d played in years.

Seriously ????????
An Aggie award for best story, a 4.5/5 rating on this site, a 81/100 score on metacritic with several reviews in the 90s and several thousands post about how much people love this game.
How can that possibly count as being the most underrated game?
I mean what do you want before you would not consider it underrated, a canonisation by the pope?

Overrated: I’ll keep my trap shut here. No, I won’t: ... (and LA Noire, too.)

I would also add .... and Paradise on the list, but I don’t think the latter is even regarded as a good game.

Again: SERIOUSLY ?????
L.A. Noire is probably the most criticized game of the recent years, and Paradise is one of the most criticized and hated games of all time!
How can that possibly count as being overrated, not to mention the most overrated games????

Come on guys - This is about over- and underrated games, not about the games you hate or love the most!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2006-10-03

PM

Iznogood - 28 August 2014 03:55 AM

Overrated: I’ll keep my trap shut here. No, I won’t: ... (and LA Noire, too.)

I would also add .... and Paradise on the list, but I don’t think the latter is even regarded as a good game.

Again: SERIOUSLY ?????
L.A. Noire is probably the most criticized game of the recent years, and Paradise is one of the most criticized and hated games of all time!
How can that possibly count as being overrated, not to mention the most overrated games????

Come on guys - This is about over- and underrated games, not about the games you hate or love the most!

Well L.A. Noire has a metacritic score of 83 - 89 (depending on platform) and a user score of 7.5 - 7.9. The game’s GameRankings score is also firmly over 80%. I don’t see how that is, in any way, “the most criticized game of the recent years”.

Personally I liked the game very much, but I can understand, how one that didn’t like it, can include it on this list.

You have(almost) a fair point about Paradise, but again, I have also pointed out it’s not really regarded as a good game and therefore cannot be included on the list and was just a sort of “honorable mention” Wink

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

DEMON - 28 August 2014 05:58 AM

Well L.A. Noire has a metacritic score of 83 - 89 (depending on platform) and a user score of 7.5 - 7.9. The game’s GameRankings score is also firmly over 80%. I don’t see how that is, in any way, “the most criticized game of the recent years”.

Sure it got some good reviews even a 5 star rating (which I agree is too much) here on this site, so if you only go by reviews then I guess it would be fair calling it overrated, but it has at the same time also gotten a whole lot of flak, and the only other games in recent years that has gotten a similar amount of criticism, is Jurassic Park, which everyone agrees is terrible and TWD which has caused several flame wars here on the forum.

If this was the only example then I wouldn’t have bothered mentioning it, but it isn’t.

DEMON - 28 August 2014 05:58 AM

You have(almost) a fair point about Paradise, but again, I have also pointed out it’s not really regarded as a good game and therefore cannot be included on the list and was just a sort of “honorable mention” Wink

If you don’t actually believe it is overrated, then why mention it as an overrated game at all, honourable mention or not?

The reason I responded is that there seem to be a lot that just uses this thread as an opportunity to take cheap potshots at whatever games they don’t like, or praise the games they love, instead of actually posting about games they fell are over- or underrated.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood, if everyone hates Jurassic Park then it’s definitely underrated. It’s better than The Waking Dead which everyone loves Sarcastic

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 28 August 2014 07:53 AM

Iznogood, if everyone hates Jurassic Park then it’s definitely underrated. It’s better than The Waking Dead which everyone loves Sarcastic

I actually agree with this, JP is in many ways better than TWD and a underrated game.
It is however still not a good game - just underrated.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Finally we agree on something!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 28 August 2014 08:56 AM

Finally we agree on something!  Thumbs Up

Actually we often agree on things, I just don’t always give you the satisfaction of telling you when I agree with you Tongue

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-01-04

PM

Overrated: the Monkey Island series. I like them a lot, I just don’t think they’re as good as some of the other classic LucasArts games (notably Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.)

Underrated: Hmmmmm. This is a lot trickier for me, since most of my favourites are well-loved. I’m going to have to go with Gray Matter here, which is in my all-time top ten.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top