• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Search member posts within thread doesn’t work

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

One of the things I most often want to do is to see all posts by a certain member in a certain thread. (For example, Doom just wrote in a post in the Moebius thread, “I think I made fair points” in previous posts, and I wanted to go back and have a look at what he actually wrote.) This does not currently work; actually, as far as I know it has never worked since the switch to the new (and much much worse) forum system.

If you click on a forum profile and then “view all posts by this member”, you get a list of threads the user has posted in. But if the user has made more than five posts in the thread, you just get a link “Keywords found in many replies - Search this thread”. That link always, in my experience, leads to a “your search did not return any results” page. There is no way to fix the search query, refine results or search within a single thread as far as I am aware.

As reading through – in this case – 56 pages of previous posts to find what I’m looking for is infeasible, this makes the forums much less usable for me. If it could be fixed, that would be a good thing.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Why not just used the advanced search option and specify Doom as the member.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/search/

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Because (1) that runs into exactly the same problem: if the member has made more than 5 posts in a single thread they don’t get listed separately, and the link to see them all is broken; and (2) it sorts it in some strange order where this Moebius thread, which he posted in only a few hours ago, only shows up on the third page. (That’s only a minor issue in comparison, of course.)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

after a brisk nap - 20 April 2014 05:29 PM

(2) it sorts it in some strange order where this Moebius thread, which he posted in only a few hours ago, only shows up on the third page.

That’s because they get sorted by creation date, not latest post date. Since the Moebius thread is a pretty old thread, it’s found much lower…

Anyway, I don’t think Tabacco (or one of the other site admins) will have an easy fix for this. It’s imo sooner going to be up to the people that made ExpressionEngine, and I don’t think they prioritize forums much… Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

A little tip: Sometimes I find that using Google site search can give you a better result than the build in search tools on this site.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Iznogood - 20 April 2014 07:04 PM

using Google site search can give you a better result than the build in search tools on this site.

And that goes for ALL the forums I have visited so far. Go figure.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top