• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Millenia’s Game Year 2014

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I decided to bring my tracking thread (because that’s what it mostly is) to the General section because I’m thinking of playing some more non-adventures this year.

Last year I had 24 names on my list, but some of them were additions, overall it should have had 25 names because I started the 4th community playthrough but stopped updating the thread - and sadly playing the game too. I will finish the third part of Inherit the Earth this year but I just have way too many promising titles I can’t wait to get my hands on, so it has to wait a bit still.

I managed to cross off 11 games from the list, and they make up my last year, so I present my adventures of 2013:

A Vampyre Story (CP) - 3.5
Beyond - Two Souls - 4.5
Cognition - The Erica Reed Thriller (parts 2,3,4) - 4.5
Drawn - The Painted Tower - 3.5
Edna & Harvey - The Breakout - 5.0
Gone Home - 4.5
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (CP) - 4.5
Obsidian (CP) - 4.0
Testament of Sherlock Holmes - 4.0
To the Moon - 5.0
The Walking Dead - 4.0

I also played a lot of WoW and The Secret World which I’m not comfortable to score.

I made some changes from the earlier thread: upping Edna & Harvey from 4.5 to 5.0 and reducing the score of TWD by 0,5. Overall the quality of these games was amazing (average score being whopping 4.3). If I had finished Inherit the Earth, sadly it would have been the worst game I played that year.

I will try to finish the rest of the titles from last year, they were:

The Dark Eye - Chains of Satinav (Did already!)
Escape from Thunder Island
Heavy Rain DLC - The Taxidermist
Hector - ep. 3
Hope Springs Eternal - Carol Reed #2
Journey Down - ch. 1
J.U.L.I.A
L.A. Noire (unfinished)
Lucius
Machinarium
Portal
Primordia
The Witcher - EE (unfinished)

I will not add titles to the list now as there are so many new releases coming this year. I’m not gonna list them either, will see what happens when they come (some of them require me to finish up some replays like BS and Tex).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished in 2014:

Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You can (CP) - 4.0
AR-K - ep. 1 - 4.0 (replay)
AR-K - ep. 2 - 3.5
Ars Harmonia - 3.5
Broken Age - part 1 - 4.5
Broken Sword - remastered - 4.0
The Dark Eye - Chains of Satinav - 4.0
The Maker’s Eden - Act. 1 - 4.0
Memoria - 4.5
Moebius - 4.0
The Wolf Among Us - 4.5

The Blackwell Series:
Legacy - 4.0
Unbound - 4.5
Convergence - 4.5
Deception - 5.0
Epiphany - 5.0

Visual novels/dating sims:
a2 ~a due~ - 4.0
Always Remember Me - 3.0
Analogue: A Hate Story - 4.0
Coming Out Simulator 2014 - 4.0
Dramatical Murder (K18) - 4.5
In Your Arms Tonight - 3.5
Boku No Shokora (+ The White Day) - 3.5
Hadaka Shitsuji (K18) - 4.0

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy XIII
Divinity: Original Sin (co-op with spouse)
Lili - Child of Geos
World of Warcraft - Mists of Pandaria
Broken Sword II - remastered
Face Noir (on a break)
Hay Day

Most likely to be played still:

Broken Sword 2.5 - 5
Hector ep.3
The Journey Down - ch.1 & 2
Oneshot
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The year so far has been pretty good too. I was slightly disappointed in Face Noir but will see what comes of it, it’s not bad. I was very impressed by the big names, both Broken age and The Wolf Among Us were very polished, immersive and fun. Can’t wait for more. A bit on the shorter side, especially TWAU episodes, but can’t deny that I loved them from start to finish, however short that distance might be.

The Dark Eye - Chains of Satinav also surprised me positively. I liked the romantic plot and I thought the world, characters and puzzles worked very well in the game. It’s not superhypergood, but I just “liked it a lot”. It’s getting a solid 4/5

I tried Diablo III very little when it was launched, like for a 12 levels or so, then I got busy with something I don’t even remember now. Now that most of my friends went back to it because of the expansion, I decided to try me some Witch Doctor. And I had no idea how easy the game’s normal mode was, it’s just silly. Why not name it easy or supereasy right away? I’m not one of the people that was those diabolic challenges at all, but when you play half a chapter and you only notice your hp dropping at all just twice, it’s just not very interesting. Luckily there are a lot more harder difficulties to choose from, so this won’t be an actual issue. Diablo has always had a good story and beautiful cutscenes. I’ve just passed chapter ! since I started from beginning and have been playing some other games too but it’s been pretty nice so far.

Hearthstone is surprisingly fun too but I don’t really understand why it isn’t made for mobile phones. Card games should excel there. Also the infernally slow human players can be a pain, not to mention that some cards are just silly overpowered. Well, I don’t take it very seriously, it’s mostly to pass up some time here and there, mostly when kids are still up or something else is happening around and I can’t really immerse myself into an adventure.

On WoW, we’ve been doing the Gold Challenge Modes which explains partly my absence on this forum. All the WoW time, school time, and just plaing sleeping and moping time have really reduced my interest in any forums. Trying to play and chat about something else than WoW now that we got our 9/9 Gold and feel like taking a breather from WoW, which can often be super exhausting and a lot more irritating than fun. The challenges themselves actually were kinda fun, but organising the times that would suit us all were a nightmare, and then we had a no show like 75% of the time and had to find a replacement on the go, brrh.

Last weekend I also gave a go at the new MMO Wildstar, which was actually quite promising. The candy graphics and the whacky sci-fi world were pretty nice, and the combat system seemed to work pretty well. They’ve obviously mixed and matched loads of elements from different MMOs and mostly it’s a good thing. I liked the system of limiting your skills, or buildings your decks like in The Secret World, but there isn’t an endless skill wheel and there’s still classes. If my beta pass allows me to participate in the future weekends I’ll get a better picture. I guess there is an NDA working but it’s not really like I had anything to say about issues that aren’t already introduced in the game’s website.

And yeah, Hay Day, what can I say? Grin It’s a super cute game I can play it on bus or when I’m bored at a class. Honestly I’ve been putting way too much time into it, but I’m just trying to get all of the cats to my farm, to please my daughter - honest!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

millenia - 10 April 2014 04:33 PM

I tried Diablo III very little when it was launched, like for a 12 levels or so, then I got busy with something I don’t even remember now. Now that most of my friends went back to it because of the expansion, I decided to try me some Witch Doctor. And I had no idea how easy the game’s normal mode was, it’s just silly. Why not name it easy or supereasy right away? I’m not one of the people that was those diabolic challenges at all, but when you play half a chapter and you only notice your hp dropping at all just twice, it’s just not very interesting. Luckily there are a lot more harder difficulties to choose from, so this won’t be an actual issue. Diablo has always had a good story and beautiful cutscenes. I’ve just passed chapter ! since I started from beginning and have been playing some other games too but it’s been pretty nice so far.

Diablo 3 got so much better after the big update! Did a playthrough with a monk and all these cool legendary items kept dropping. Smile Also thought the normal difficulty was waaaay too easy and had to quickly adjust. I’m currently in the middle of the expansion, it has an excellent scenario.

Speaking of MMOs, have you tried Elder Scrolls Online? I’ve been playing it and it’s been solid fun, with beatiful scenarios and some stuff typical to the Elder Scrolls world. But i don’t really have much experience with MMOs (except for some WoW and Secret World).

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I got the key for ESO beta and briefly tried it (the very beginning of the game) but my spouse wasn’t really interested, even though he’s the one that has actually played those Elder Scrolls games - I’ve only tried one or two very shortly, never had any of those games myself.

Usually we try MMOs together as we don’t really have many games that we could both play at the same time. I might still try it by myself but all these MMOs are so time consuming…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yeah, lack of time is also my problem with MMOs, the only reason I’m trying this one is because of the elder scrolls connection and I still don’t think I’ll stick with it because of the monthly subscription.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished Memoria almost in one sitting. 7 hours one night and the 3½ the next. A couple of later puzzles took a while to solve, and I encountered the messenger bug because I forgot to install the patch before starting the game. All is well though and I didn’t even need to resort to walkthru.

The sequel/prequel to Chains of Satinav was even better than the original. Both games have a great story with good characters and mostly very good puzzles, Memoria is just a little better in them. Very nice old school adventures in fantasy world, good stuff.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I liked Moebius a lot but it wasn’t as good as Gray Matter and definitely not as good as the GK games. I am pleased that I participated in the kickstarter though and really hope that Jensen will do well from now on. I’d even like a sequel to Moebius. The protagonists were great, likable guys and I am completely shipping them now Wink. There’s like 100 pages of arguing about Moebius on the adventure section so I wont go into further details here.

I decided to finally start the Broken Sword replay and played the first remastered version in a couple of nights. I gave it 4.5 back in the day but now I’m thinking only 4.0. I know many people would say that it’s just because of the remastered version but I don’t think so. The game was good but I wasn’t amazed like I was with the replay of GK games. Not even when I think about the original, harder puzzles and my nostalgic feelings. I originally played the game on PSone and lord it was hard, especially the Ireland part with the infamous goat puzzle. Using the pad as a mouse cursor, brrh. And still I thought the game to be excellent, dunno.

I just started the second part and honestly I felt a bit more home with it. It is also an interesting playthrough now, I think I have played it twice before, but both times were before I had played the first game. (I bought the game from some sale bin blindly, and managed to find the goat easter egg without even knowing about the goat puzzle, yay me.) I am very interested to follow the relationship of George and Nico like this, chronologically. The third game I left unfinished back in the day so it’ll be interesting too.

This weekend I also tried to play more Wildstar but my screen kept freezing for 30 seconds or so, so I grew annoyed. After trying a few trick I needed to reinstall and it took ages. Then I felt that I don’t even wanna play it and went to finish my romance novel. Will see if I get excited again. I hate time limits, now that I’d need to play the game because it’s only available for a couple of days, I totally don’t feel like playing it. Then when I do, the beta isn’t up. Grr.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

millenia - 18 April 2014 11:09 PM

There’s like 100 pages of arguing about Moebius on the adventure section so I wont go into further details here.

Actually there’s only about 5 pages of arguing about Moebius and 95 pages of whining about the graphics and Phoenix Online Studios. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Very true.

I have to share my notion of the beginning of Broken Sword II. I kinda find it disturbing that one prevents the fire in a building that has a huge ass spider in it. I would have just let it burn - just in case it isn’t dead enough.

Also I played the visual novel/dating sim Always Remember Me and it entertained me for a while but wasn’t really anything to praise. A bit light on both story and romance, and the gameplay wasn’t exactly thrilling either. Though I haven’t played many of these (except for some very bad and shameful hentai games) so I don’t have a real base to compare to. Need to think about the score still.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I played Analogue: A Hate Story last night and it’s story was really good. It took me about 5 hours to pass it and try out a couple of other endings too. The main story that is unraveled is very good and light gameplay is actually pretty impressive. Those few puzzles it has are actually good. But overall I wasn’t moved from head to toe like in To the Moon for example, so 4 is a good score. This game did ensure that visual novels do work for me. I’ll be looking out for more. I heard that the Love Story would be even better, wonder where I can get it though.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

millenia - 21 April 2014 09:42 PM

I heard that the Love Story would be even better, wonder where I can get it though.

Have yet to play the series but I think it’s free

http://scoutshonour.com/digital/

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I managed to get the link from two different people this morning Smile Thanks. I’ll definitely check it and some other visual novels too.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Do take a look at the Visual Novel DataBase, then. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

TimovieMan - 19 April 2014 12:53 AM
millenia - 18 April 2014 11:09 PM

There’s like 100 pages of arguing about Moebius on the adventure section so I wont go into further details here.

Actually there’s only about 5 pages of arguing about Moebius and 95 pages of whining about the graphics and Phoenix Online Studios. Wink

Actually, the game’s graphics and the game’s developer are subjects that do relate to Moebius, and I would respectfully take issue with your loaded terminology “whining” characterization.

Anyway, does a game have to be released in 2014 to qualify for consideration? What about games with only one episode released so far?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

OrionO - 23 April 2014 10:28 PM

Actually, the game’s graphics and the game’s developer are subjects that do relate to Moebius

Relate, yes. Account for 95% of everything, no. Tongue

and I would respectfully take issue with your loaded terminology “whining” characterization.

Then I would respectfully mention that you offend easily, as it’s a description made jokingly in an unrelated thread. Wink
Context is important. Smilies are as well. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top