• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Wow!!! Kidbot for sure!!! No more shitbot! Kidbot is the way!!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 25 October 2014 05:08 PM

BTW: The choices I made that show up in the end statistics, for my first / main playthrough is:
New path - Killed the prisoner - Spared the Warden - Try to remember - Sausages - Queenie = Meaning in life - Intervene with Baruti and London - Eavesdrop on Nela - Make up with Reza

Also exactly my choices! About eavesdroping Nela I didn’t even notice I was making a choice at the time…

Iznogood - 25 October 2014 05:08 PM

Though I’m not too sure about the last one, as I don’t trust Reza one bit.

Same here, last scene felt wrong.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Agreed, and I actually went back and replayed it so I could “change my answer”. I had been standing up to Reza with my dialogue choices and while I didn’t want to ignore him completely, I wasn’t exactly expecting “You’re the best boyfriend, let’s go have sex” to come out of Zoe’s mouth.

Usually I go after the romantic relationship when a game gives me the opportunity, but I don’t trust Reza either. Zoe saying “That’s not him” at the end of Dreamfall stuck with me.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Hmm…the game took me about 8 hours and yet and the end of it all I didn’t feel much had happened. I was a little underwhelmed.

For all the praise its been getting regarding the writing, its conversations are still as long-winded as ever, characters often saying the same thing several times over in conversations, just with slightly different phrasing.

Nice world to explore, but I still say there should be more to do in the world. Collectables, side quests whatever…I dunno. It’s a busy, bustling, lively world, but at this point it hasn’t done enough for me to say these kind of ‘open worlds’ are good for adventure games (I still maintain smaller closed environments are better for 3D adventures).

I did enjoy my time in Europolis, but not nearly as much as others.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

FrasierCrane - 23 October 2014 11:22 AM

I wish there was an option to turn off or dial down that lens flare effect. There were some scenes in the game, like the therapists office, where I feared going blind by looking too long at the monitor. Tongue

I agree the overuse of lens flare detracted from the game.
I don’t like seeing lens flare at all and would gladly do without it.
It’s unrealistic as well as annoying—and too often overused in games.
I do not walk around looking at everything through a camera lens.
Nor do the characters I’m playing in games.

A.A - 27 October 2014 05:40 AM

Hmm…the game took me about 8 hours and yet and the end of it all I didn’t feel much had happened. I was a little underwhelmed.

I had the same feeling. Expected more.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

There’s a reason they aren’t selling these episodes individually. This is meant to be a reintroduction into the game’s world and a setting of the stage. Nothing much happens yet, but it’s all foreshadowing and setup.

And if you took 8 hours to finish this, well… That’s a mighty leisurely stroll. I think it’s meant to be about 3-4 hours.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Well I finally finished Book One. It took a long time because my computer is old and even running on lowest settings I ran into pretty much every type of bug and crash and messed up save game that have been reported so far. Because of this I didn’t really enjoy my experience with the game. However, I will probably being buying a new computer in the next few months so by the time the next book comes out, I hope that things will work better.

I don’t really like that I missed out on Shitbot because I chose the other choice earlier but I think that when the full game is finished (and better optimized without so many bugs) I will play through on different paths to experience all the different scenarios.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A.A - 27 October 2014 05:40 AM

Nice world to explore, but I still say there should be more to do in the world. Collectables, side quests whatever…I dunno.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that there were optional side quests in the game?

Also, why collectables? Aren’t those just filler to placate achievement-focused OCD players???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

fov - 27 October 2014 02:49 AM

Agreed, and I actually went back and replayed it so I could “change my answer”. I had been standing up to Reza with my dialogue choices and while I didn’t want to ignore him completely, I wasn’t exactly expecting “You’re the best boyfriend, let’s go have sex” to come out of Zoe’s mouth.

Yeah that was a bit too much. On my alternative playtrough I watched Eurotrash instead, and I thought about replaying this part on my main playthrough too. But then it occurred to me, the only reason why we the players are so antagonistic towards Reza is because we know something that Zoë doesn’t know! So for Zoë to start a fight here over something minor, that wouldn’t really be consistent with the Zoë I know and love, so I stuck with my choice. (Besides I’m waiting for the sausages to slowly poison him Naughty)

Frogacuda - 27 October 2014 12:23 PM

There’s a reason they aren’t selling these episodes individually. This is meant to be a reintroduction into the game’s world and a setting of the stage. Nothing much happens yet, but it’s all foreshadowing and setup.

Yes, the episodes are not self-contained stories each with a beginning, middle and end, like the Sam&Max; episode from Teltale, but more like the TWD episodes with one continuing story, where this book is the beginning of the story. 

Frogacuda - 27 October 2014 12:23 PM

And if you took 8 hours to finish this, well… That’s a mighty leisurely stroll. I think it’s meant to be about 3-4 hours.

3-4 hours would be a speed run, most players have reported it took them something like 5-6 hours. Also this is suppose to be one of the shortest books, the 2nd book should be longer.

TheLongestJourney - 27 October 2014 01:02 PM

I don’t really like that I missed out on Shitbot because I chose the other choice earlier

Don’t worry, Ragnar has revealed that we will also meet shitbot on the other path, so no one will miss out on Shitbot despite their path. Besides Kidbot is also not bad, some even prefer him to Shitbot.

TimovieMan - 27 October 2014 02:04 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that there were optional side quests in the game?

I don’t think there were any optional side quests in this book, but there might be some later.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

I respect peoples opinion but saying you are underwhelmed by this episode is kind of like saying you were underwhelmed during the beginning of The Longest Journey where you are just a student and working at the bar.  If they had made that game episodic and stopped before you ever entered Arcadia most people would be disappointed by the lack of resolution or story progression.  This is just the introduction to the game world and setting the stage for future events.  I think it accomplished all those things and I assume more locations will be made available in Europolis in future episodes.  The fact that it has enter signs in a few of the locations like the bar but Zoe won’t enter them now makes me think they will play more important roles later in the game.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I agree that this episode feels a lot like the beginning of TLJ and Dreamfall. On the other hand, the devs made the decision to do it episodically, and an episodic game requires a different structure than a long standalone game, to keep people engaged. So both opinions are valid—I both liked the slow pace from a “feels like the other games” perspective, and was disappointed that “not much happened” from an episodic perspective. It’s a valid criticism when we don’t even know how long it’ll be before the next chunk comes out.

Book One took me 5h 40min, but near the end I felt like I was doing a lot of lost wandering in Europolis. If it were a long standalone game I probably wouldn’t give that wandering a second thought, but for a self-contained episode it felt a bit padded. I would have preferred a quick travel option from the map and a shorter runtime, tbh.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I need to play this game, but am holding off at the moment.

However I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and wish to instantly nominate Shitbot as adventure game character of the year. ROFLMAO.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dreamfall-chapters-book-one-reborn/2300-9595/

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 27 October 2014 04:34 PM

However I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and wish to instantly nominate Shitbot as adventure game character of the year. ROFLMAO.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dreamfall-chapters-book-one-reborn/2300-9595/

Beware the video spoiling too much of some of the better parts of the episode… but I wish it ran that good on my PC!! Europolis looks better that way Neutral  Need to upgrade

Now, to order a shitbot plush…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 27 October 2014 05:03 PM

Need to upgrade

PS4 ver. Grin

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 27 October 2014 06:01 PM
wilco - 27 October 2014 05:03 PM

Need to upgrade

PS4 ver. Grin

If they can get it run in there. Smile Is the PS4 going to be released now or after all episodes are done?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top