• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Sherlock Holmes game: Crimes & Punishments

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Zifnab - 25 July 2014 07:27 PM

And yet for all their “upward slope of quality” (for which I assume you mean graphics and production quality) they have yet to come anywhere near the quality of a game like The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

That is because the audience has changed in the last 20 years. There are whole threads about that elsewhere.
But indeed it would be nice to have a new adventure game with the difficulty level and narrative quality as some of the ones made in the 1990s.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I think the Frogwares SH games are pretty fun to go through, but I always get frustrated at the awful narration/point of view of the games. It’s as if the developers don’t know what they’re aiming at. Most of the time, you’re playing as Holmes collecting evidence/solving random puzzles because everyone in Victorian England uses IQ puzzles as locks, so I assume they want you (the player) to assume the role of Holmes, but they try to ‘surprise’ the player at the same time, by having ‘cutscene Holmes’ come up with shocking deductions, even though you are supposed to be Holmes. They really should decide whether they want me to be Holmes or Watson…

It was quite horrible in Silver Earring, but the same holds for Testament, where it would seem to make more sense for the story if you’d play Watson the whole time (or at least until the midway point), but you’re actually Holmes for probably most of the time.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 25 July 2014 12:03 PM

23 min gameplay video:

That looks really good!

It seems like they have taken the whole deduction part to the fullest extent, not only in the form of a deduction board, but with many different ways of reconstruction a crime scene etc., it even seems like they have been inspired by L.A. Noire in the interrogation part. Only concern is that the dialogue deductions seems to be timed, I hate having a time limit when making decisions in games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I only saw a few fractions of it because I don’t want to be spoiled. I was afraid that they turned Holmes into a sort of movie star like figure but luckily not; he just looks younger. The game looks very good! I pre-ordered it and I am curious how my new Mac will handle it.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Great video. I really like the new deduction system, especially for the way that wrong inferences are still accompanied by plausible (though of course fairly weak) reasoning. They’ve come a long way with that.

Tantei KID - 26 July 2014 03:32 AM

I think the Frogwares SH games are pretty fun to go through, but I always get frustrated at the awful narration/point of view of the games. It’s as if the developers don’t know what they’re aiming at. Most of the time, you’re playing as Holmes collecting evidence/solving random puzzles because everyone in Victorian England uses IQ puzzles as locks, so I assume they want you (the player) to assume the role of Holmes, but they try to ‘surprise’ the player at the same time, by having ‘cutscene Holmes’ come up with shocking deductions, even though you are supposed to be Holmes. They really should decide whether they want me to be Holmes or Watson…

There should be less of that in this one. Besides all the emphasis on “being Sherlock Holmes”, the trailers also make a big point of how you can draw the wrong conclusions (and in many different ways) and even put the wrong guy in jail while still advancing the story and going to the next case. That should remove a lot of the need for secret deductions.

Iznogood - 26 July 2014 04:04 AM

It seems like they have taken the whole deduction part to the fullest extent, not only in the form of a deduction board, but with many different ways of reconstruction a crime scene etc.

I recall Testament had a similar reconstruction system, but on a little map instead of as on-scene as this one. The new hologram-like reconstruction reminds me of the occasional “Little Thief” reconstructions in the Miles Edgeworth games, where you use something similar to figure out the deeper meaning of your clues and where to find more. Promising, indeed.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Great video. But it seams that the controls are made for consoles, not PCs. I wonder if it will be playable in computers with no difficulties.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 25 July 2014 12:03 PM

23 min gameplay video:

Animations look stiff and wooden, the deduction is mostly revolving around
the body untill cursor highlights main nodes for your handholding experience.

Will wait for bargain.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

And yet for all their “upward slope of quality” (for which I assume you mean graphics and production quality) they have yet to come anywhere near the quality of a game like The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

The Case of The Rose Tattoo is even better. Truly amazing writing. I like the Frogwares stuff a lot, but no game has come nearly as close to the writing Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as that one. Don’t know if I’ve ever played an AG that was that well written. Criminally underrated.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

RockNFknRoll - 29 July 2014 04:00 AM

The Case of The Rose Tattoo is even better. Truly amazing writing. I like the Frogwares stuff a lot, but no game has come nearly as close to the writing Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as that one. Don’t know if I’ve ever played an AG that was that well written. Criminally underrated.

Ah, I’ve actually played the Serrated Scalpel. It was pretty great game and I’ve always compared Frogwares effort against it, none have surpassed it IMO, but I do think Testament has managed to get close.

I do hope GOG would be able to get both of them released at some point.

And as for Crime and Punishment, I do like what I see. The sleuthing options seem like they could be fun and offer more possibilities than there was in the previous games.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

The trailers really impress me, it looks way cooler than I expected. I really dig some of the new gameplay elements, I just hope the challenge and lateral thinking is retained and it’s not too tailored for the console gamers. The observation and deduction systems could be a really big advance for adventure games if done right. I just hate any time a game connects dots for me.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-24

PM

New Sherlock Holmes game finally has release date:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/26845

I can’t wait! I am so looking forward to this. Smile

“When all else fails, x=8.”

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-08-29

PM

Just saw this petition about the game : http://www.thepetitionsite.com/772/888/997/we-want-a-collectors-edition-for-sherlock-holmes-crimes-punishments/?taf_id=12496950&cid=fb_na

Hope we get one !! Can’t wait for this game Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The more I see the gameplay, the more I feel this is the kind of detuctive gameplay Jane Jensen would have wanted in Moebiues. (BTW, there’s been a lot of discussion about AAA adventure games in here and if this isn’t one, I don’t know what is.)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tomimt - 29 August 2014 09:15 AM

The more I see the gameplay, the more I feel this is the kind of detuctive gameplay Jane Jensen would have wanted in Moebiues. (BTW, there’s been a lot of discussion about AAA adventure games in here and if this isn’t one, I don’t know what is.)

I think you are right about JJ and Moebiues, hopefully and presumably it will work much better in this game. The more I see about this game the more excited I get and I can’t wait for it to be released.

Not sure I would call it AAA, at least I seriously doubt they had a AAA budget to make it on. ‘A’ would perhaps be a more realistic guess.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It looks like a AAA game to me, budget be damned.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top