• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 19 April 2014 01:27 PM

Based on the rating system on this site, I would give it something like a 3/5 stars.

3/5 stars seems good to me Iznogood! I’ve read all of your comments bar those in spoiler tags & get the feeling that my ‘feel good’ factor with this game may change sometime after Chapter 4!

Anyway, I appreciate reading all of the honest comments within context of playing the game either positive or negative. It’s just a shame that the thread is constantly interrupted by a handful of insincere posters intent on ‘nitpicking’, bashing & baiting etc who really don’t have anything interesting to say (& obviously nothing better to do!)

EDIT: See example below!   

Laughing

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

DaveyB - 19 April 2014 02:38 PM
noknowncure - 19 April 2014 02:18 PM

Nah mate, I said “A simple example that illustrates the rookie errors I’m talking about, is the English vs. US pronunciation of the word ‘Due’”

I chose it as an illustration because it’s a word said in the game.

Rewriting history much? You never said it was an example of Malachi’s poor voice acting, as the quote above shows. Hence no idea why you’re saying it now. You didn’t when I asked you the straight question.

Misread History much?

Care to point out how the exact word for word quote: “A simple example that illustrates the rookie errors I’m talking about, is the English vs. US pronunciation of the word ‘Due’” in any way precludes the example being one from the game? Especially when I then go on to clarify the point for you. I can only assume you’re clutching at semantic straws. Must try harder.

I’ve also already explained why I didn’t mind Tim Curry’s performance and wasn’t impressed by Owen Thomas. Maybe, rather than any great conspiracy theory - just a thought, but try to go with it!!! - I just didn’t mind Tim Curry’s performance and wasn’t impressed by Owen Thomas’.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

If I may suggest it, I wonder if there’s still some lingering tension in the thread that has relatively little to do with either the current conversation or its participants.

Earlier discussion by some other folks crossed a line of politeness when uncharitable comments were made about the developers doing the work, rather than about the work itself. I think it’s because that particular line was crossed that the comments escalated, and Jackal had to step in. I hope and trust that that’s over now.

Still, that may be a contributing factor in everyone’s heightened sensitivity to tone. I think those who are discussing Moebius at the moment would agree that AdventureGamers forum discussion, when at its best, will embrace both thoughtful, politely expressed praise and thoughtful, politely expressed criticism. The end goal should be greater understanding of where others are coming from, leading to a broader perspective.

With that in mind, I think we should all just take a deep breath and give everyone on all sides the benefit of the doubt again, trying to understand what each other are intending to say, rather than looking for holes in each other’s exact expression of that intent.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

noknowncure - 19 April 2014 02:55 PM

Care to point out how the exact word for word quote: “A simple example that illustrates the rookie errors I’m talking about, is the English vs. US pronunciation of the word ‘Due’” in any way precludes the example being one from the game? Especially when I then go on to clarify the point for you. I can only assume you’re clutching at semantic straws. Must try harder.

Maybe because you were asked for specific examples and couldn’t give any? Instead said you’d need to play it again to “document the problems”. I also notice you never address the point that Malachi would have different influences on his accent and the RP voice could well logically be an imperfect affectation on his part.

Anyway, when you then totally alter your perspective, it rather takes away from your position. First you’re criticising accents, then admitting it doesn’t actually matter.

I just didn’t mind Tim Curry’s performance and wasn’t impressed by Owen Thomas’.

Exactly - nothing to do with good or poor accents! And I’m not sure when “liked” becomes “didn’t mind”??

Caliburn - 19 April 2014 03:33 PM

If I may suggest it, I wonder if there’s still some lingering tension in the thread that has relatively little to do with either the current conversation or its participants.

Probably true Caliburn, fair point. Anyway, until noknowncure comes up with any evidence, I think we’ve done the “poor accent” to death anyway.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

DaveyB - 19 April 2014 03:48 PM

I just didn’t mind Tim Curry’s performance and wasn’t impressed by Owen Thomas’.

Exactly - nothing to do with good or poor accents!

Except, as mentioned, one of the things that detracted from the experience for me were the easily correctable errors in Owen Thomas’ accent.

It’s really not that difficult, you’re just going to have to accept that you can’t argue me into thinking it was a good accent.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Earlier discussion by some other folks crossed a line of politeness when uncharitable comments were made about the developers doing the work, rather than about the work itself. I think it’s because that particular line was crossed that the comments escalated, and Jackal had to step in. I hope and trust that that’s over now.

Still, that may be a contributing factor in everyone’s heightened sensitivity to tone. I think those who are discussing Moebius at the moment would agree that AdventureGamers forum discussion, when at its best, will embrace both thoughtful, politely expressed praise and thoughtful, politely expressed criticism. The end goal should be greater understanding of where others are coming from, leading to a broader perspective.

With that in mind, I think we should all just take a deep breath and give everyone on all sides the benefit of the doubt again, trying to understand what each other are intending to say, rather than looking for holes in each other’s exact expression of that intent.

Very reasonable.

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

noknowncure - 19 April 2014 03:59 PM

It’s really not that difficult, you’re just going to have to accept that you can’t argue me into thinking it was a good accent.

Wink Fair enough. But as has been commented, Tim Curry’s wasn’t either…but the peformance (in GK1 at least!) was. And a number of us think Malachi’s performance was also good and hear nothing shocking in the accent to detract from that. Let’s leave it at that Wink . But I would genuinely be interested to hear specific details of poor pronunciation if you do ever manage to make note of them.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Well said! Thank you for putting into words my own thoughts.

I know that I come to Adventure Gamers to see honest, civil discourse about adventure games new and old. I never like seeing people called “trolls” and such simply because they hold different views. I believe that most people here are probably tolerant and welcome different opinions, which is as it should be.

chrissie - 19 April 2014 02:50 PM

3/5 stars seems good to me Iznogood! I’ve read all of your comments bar those in spoiler tags & get the feeling that my ‘feel good’ factor with this game may change sometime after Chapter 4!

I would have to give Moebius 1/5 stars, and it has a lot to do with the game’s asking price. I compare the game to what else is being offered for that price. I understand that Jane Jensen had a limited budget and maybe couldn’t afford an expensive, top-flight developer for Moebius, but then the price to gamers should be adjusted accordingly. I would probably bump up my score to 2 or 2.5/5 if the price were price lower. Also, I’m just not having a lot of fun playing the game. Much of my game-playing time is spent watching very slow character movements.

Even though I’m not enjoying the game, I’m happy if some others here are!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I wholeheartedly agree, in fact I think that it is a general wise advise, that should be applied to the whole forum and not just this thread.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you for such a nice post Caliburn & I think for the most part people are exchanging views - it just seems with a few posters that their focus is on finding as many flaws (besides the obvious ones) that they can.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This strange mug just appeared online and I think it belongs here:

For the game I’m still early in chapter 3 so too soon to pass a judgement, but I’m addicted to the art and character analyzes, so far the high point. Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I forgot to mention that my immersion towards the end of Chapter 1 was totally ‘broken’ by the scene with the attack by the ninjas - I couldn’t take it seriously because the ‘Caption Contest’ posts on AG kept springing to mind!  Laughing

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Superb post! Thumbs Up

And with that in mind:

@ DaveyB and noknowncure: cut it out! Pan
You’ve long passed the point where your discussion should’ve been taken to PM…

OrionO - 19 April 2014 04:21 PM

I would have to give Moebius 1/5 stars, and it has a lot to do with the game’s asking price. I compare the game to what else is being offered for that price. I understand that Jane Jensen had a limited budget and maybe couldn’t afford an expensive, top-flight developer for Moebius, but then the price to gamers should be adjusted accordingly. I would probably bump up my score to 2 or 2.5/5 if the price were price lower.

That’s a weird thing to influence a review of the content of a game…
Does that mean that your rating will improve in the future, when the game gets lowered in price, or gets in a GOG or Steam sale???

Strikes me as odd as I’d personally never consider the price of a game to be of any influence in a review. At most I’d mention for “not bad but not great either” games to wait for a sale…

wilco - 19 April 2014 04:30 PM

This strange mug just appeared online and I think it belongs here:

This made me LOL. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

TimovieMan - 19 April 2014 05:09 PM

And with that in mind:

@ DaveyB and noknowncure: cut it out! Pan
You’ve long passed the point where your discussion should’ve been taken to PM…

Considering the vitriol that’s been chucked around by other posters Tim, it’s really great that you, as moderator, make your first comment re us…especially as we’ve both just agreed with Caliburn’s post and have also pretty much wrapped up our discussion. Well done.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I totally disagree that price should influence a review score. Things like length and price are value judgments for consumers to weigh against a game’s quality, but a review should really only concern itself with the latter.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top