• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2014

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tad - 28 January 2015 06:14 AM

They were in the past due to hardware limitations. I suggest you look at that link I posted above about this subject as we’re clogging up the Awards thread.

That video was more tiresome to watch than “clicking everything with every object from the inventory”. Yet another worn out list of arguments by some lazy hipster who didn’t even care to check which came first - RPGs or Adventure. No wonder he sees The Walking Dead as some big step from “tired mechanics”. He is not competent.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Doom - 28 January 2015 06:34 AM
Tad - 28 January 2015 06:14 AM

They were in the past due to hardware limitations. I suggest you look at that link I posted above about this subject as we’re clogging up the Awards thread.

That video was more tiresome to watch than “clicking everything with every object from the inventory”. Yet another worn out list of arguments by some lazy hipster who didn’t even care to check which came first - RPGs or Adventure. No wonder he sees The Walking Dead as some big step from “tired mechanics”. He is not competent.

Erm…you do realise who that video is by right? I disagree with your view either way and I refer to my previous post about a new thread.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tad - 28 January 2015 06:46 AM

Erm…you do realise who that video is by right? I disagree with your view either way and I refer to my previous post about a new thread.

No idea who those Extra Credits guys are, but the writing and presentation says it all. And the definition of adventure games has been discussed here to death, no need for another topic. All I said is that Telltale’s current games completely lack gameplay.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hmm…I’d say it says more about you to dismiss something on presentation. Maybe it’s because it simply doesn’t match up to your desire and representation of the genre? Either way, the very definition of adventure dismisses your idea of the genre being so narrow.

I don’t think last year was that bad adventure games really. The whole industry took a bit of a lull for me mind. The triple A games mostly disappointed (Destiny, Titanfall, A Creed etc) and it seems the majority of those who play games more then just casual are looking towards the smaller or indie studios for there entertainment instead.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Doom - 28 January 2015 07:01 AM

All I said is that Telltale’s current games completely lack gameplay.

Also that topic has been discussed to death and has often been the cause of derailment of threads. You can look them up, but let’s not resurrect this topic once again.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tad - 28 January 2015 07:31 AM

Hmm…I’d say it says more about you to dismiss something on presentation. Maybe it’s because it simply doesn’t match up to your desire and representation of the genre? Either way, the very definition of adventure dismisses your idea of the genre being so narrow.

Myst, Loom, Bad Mojo, Omikron, Quest for Infamy - those are adventure games in my book. Hardly narrow, and they also fit the definition presented on this site or in Wiki. BTW I just looked up the guy who runs Extra Credits. He is credited with Call of Duty and FarmVille, nuff said Smile

subbi - 28 January 2015 07:52 AM

Also that topic has been discussed to death and has often been the cause of derailment of threads. You can look them up, but let’s not resurrect this topic once again.

I didn’t start the discussion, just summed up the current situation on adventure front. But I leave the right to mention Telltale whenever I want to myself.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Doom - 28 January 2015 08:31 AM
Tad - 28 January 2015 07:31 AM

Myst, Loom, Bad Mojo, Omikron, Quest for Infamy - those are adventure games in my book. Hardly narrow, and they also fit the definition presented on this site or in Wiki. BTW I just looked up the guy who runs Extra Credits. He is credited with Call of Duty and FarmVille, nuff said Smile

subbi - 28 January 2015 07:52 AM

I didn’t start the discussion, just summed up the current situation on adventure front. But I leave the right to mention Telltale whenever I want to myself.

I suggest you take a look at their work past that. They definitely know what they’re talking about. Also: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/adventure  Wink

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tad - 28 January 2015 08:47 AM

Also: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/adventure  Wink

Em, you do realise that “adventure” and the adventure game genre are different things? Neutral The name derived from the game called Adventure (also known as Colossal Cave) released in 1976.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

My favourite games of 2014

Broken Age - Act 1
Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 1
Dreamfall Chapters - Episode 1
Tesla Effect

These four were definitely the best of the bunch for me. The first three should probably be waited to be judged as a whole though.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I was wondering that. Should TftB and GoT be part of this as it’s not done yet?

I seem to remember something like this happening with Broken Sword 5 too.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’d really like to hope that Blackwell Epiphany walks away with Game of the Year (either directly via the site or via the Readers, or both!) as, for me at least, it was THE standout game of 2014. Very honourable mentions for Tesla and J.U.L.I.A. as well.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Do games not reviewed by the site count for the Aggies?

Danganronpa doesn’t have reviews and it will be a big miss in the Aggies if not accounted.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Yeah, I thought this was actually one of the better years for adventures in recent memory. Tesla Effect, Broken Age, and Vanishing of Ethan Carter alone are more interesting than anything in 2013.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Broken Age won’t be considered for the 2014 AGGIE’s as Double Fine still has to release the 2nd act.
Both acts are sold together as one game and not as separate episodes, therefore both need to be available and reviewed for it to be considered.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Isn’t the same true of Dreamfall and recent Telltale releases? Sure they’re called episodes, but they can’t be bought individually.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top