• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Computer That Supports Most New AG

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

I’m about to buy a new laptop, and I’d like it to meet the requirements of AG. Now, I understand that this varies much from game to game, but I don’t expect my computer to support EVERY new AG game. However I’d like to know what are some basic requirements (for instance graphic card) without which I wouldn’t be able to run any decent adventure game.

I suppose you can notice my technical-ignorance. However, I’d appreciate it if you could give me some directions.

Thank you very much.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

AGs aren’t the most demanding games, so basically any laptop in the 600+$ range will do.
You may have issues running the few demanding AGs there are (L.A. Noire, Testament of Sherlock Holmes, etc.).

The thing to note for processors is that speed is more important than chipset. An i5 quad core with 2.8 GHz is practically better than an i7 quad core with 2.0 GHz, despite the i7 chipset having a better (and faster) internal processing speed.
Ideally, you want at least an i5 quad core with at least 2.6 GHz.
If the budget allows for an i7 quad core with at least 2.4 GHz, by all means go for that.

You also want more than 4 GB of RAM - try and get 6 or (preferably) 8 GB.

You can get a modestly priced laptop with these specs, no problem.

The weak link, however, will be your graphics card. Most laptops will be equipped with a nVidia GT card with 2 GB of video RAM. While these cards will do the job just fine for most AGs, if you plan on playing more games on your laptop, you might want to look for a nVidia GTX card with 2 GB of video RAM (they probably cost about 100$ more).

The trouble is that you’ll rarely find the GTX cards in retail laptops (unless they’re dedicated gaming laptops that’ll easily be priced over 1200$). You might want to inform about upgrading the video card before purchasing.

If the budget won’t allow it, and/or you’re planning on sticking to AGs, then the GTX card is not necessary. But if you plan on playing higher-end games and games from a more mainstream genre than AGs, then they’re worth the extra money.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

What a great answer! thank you, really.

I havn’t played many video game in the last years, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Adventure Games. If my laptop could run them, it’s eneough for me.

The computer I’m looking into buying has Intel HD graphic 4600 graphic card. Do you know if it has enough video RAM? I tried to look it up myself but could’t find any information.

Something else (not directly connected, but since you seem nice) In the seller’s website is says “2.5GHz UP TO 3.1GHz. What exactly does it mean? 

And thank you again. This kind of answer demonstrates what you wrote to me then

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/24536/

You have to admit my English has improved since a little bit (-:

;

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

miv - 28 August 2014 09:19 AM

I havn’t played many video game in the last years, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Adventure Games. If my laptop could run them, it’s eneough for me.

Then forget what I said about the GTX card, and just get a GT card (try for 2GB of video RAM though and preferably GT 640 or higher).
Most average-priced laptops should have the specs you want, just try to compare the basics as much as you can.

The computer I’m looking into buying has Intel HD graphic 4600 graphic card. Do you know if it has enough video RAM? I tried to look it up myself but could’t find any information.

I doubt it. Integrated graphics cards like that are usually “just for powerpoint slides and Facebook”, not really for gaming. You want an actual dedicated video card (and nVidia GeForce beats ATI Radeon so that’s why I’m suggesting a GeForce GT card).

Something else (not directly connected, but since you seem nice) In the seller’s website is says “2.5GHz UP TO 3.1GHz. What exactly does it mean?

I’m not entirely sure. Either you get to choose between the different speeds, but at different prices, or it means you can safely overclock them from 2.5 GHz to 3.1 GHz (which is something I would advise against as it may make your laptop run slightly faster, but at the cost of durability - it’ll wear out or break faster).

Oh, and another tip: if you want to use your laptop for the occasional game, then I suggest looking at Asus or Lenovo as brands. Supposedly they’re better equipped for that. I’m certainly happy with my Asus.

Actually, a pretty important question in this is: what budget do you have? Most of what I’m talking about is probably in the 600-800$ range (which is what I consider “average priced” but we could differ on that matter)...

You have to admit my English has improved since a little bit (-:

It most certainly has! Thumbs Up
Now doesn’t that make you more confident online? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

I’ve got budget of about 800$

The prices of laptops here in my country are a little higher from what you describe. The price for a laptop with a nVidia GT CARD are about 1000$. So I suppose I’ll have to decide how important it is to me (:

Joined 2013-02-27

PM

fifacoins2u - 14 September 2014 05:24 AM

*DELETED*

Wrong number?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

miv - 14 September 2014 05:50 AM
fifacoins2u - 14 September 2014 05:24 AM

*DELETED*

Wrong number?

Spambot. Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top