• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last Goddess

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-10-02

PM

I wanted to let everyone know about a game that I’ve been working on: The Last Goddess. It’s a squad-based point-and-click adventure mystery game set in near-future Florida.

Story
When a professor goes missing from Tampa Bay University, a government agent, a doctoral student of folklore, and two graphic designers form an unlikely investigative team. Their search will take them through Tampa’s city center, to the campus of a secretive software development company, and into the surrounding rural expanse of Central Florida, ultimately leading to discoveries they never could have imagined.

I wanted this game (my second point-and-click) to have the feel of an ensemble cast film of the 80s, and I felt like Florida was a great location to set it in. If you’re interested in learning more, please check us out on Kickstarter.

We also have a teaser video.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Enough retroactivity how about try make to characters look like at the first pic?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2016-10-02

PM

Gabe - 13 October 2016 12:09 PM

Enough retroactivity how about try make to characters look like at the first pic?

So I actually talk about why this specific pixel style was chosen for the game in a DevBlog post. To elaborate on that point a bit, I believe that at a specific level of abstraction in the graphics, the imagination interacts with the game in such way (similar to reading a novel and picturing the characters in your head) that, as a result, the player becomes more invested in the game.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I advise you to use basic solids figures then,challenge the imagination because 9 out of
10 indie developers insisting at same specific level of abstraction so don’t expect players just gonna invest more to that.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Why is the talking dog missing?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The story seems very interesting & I like the artwork you’ve presented here but it doesn’t seem to be representative of some of the more pixelated images on your Kickstarter page which are a little too retro for me I’m sorry to say.  Smile

Joined 2016-10-02

PM

chrissie - 13 October 2016 01:31 PM

The story seems very interesting & I like the artwork you’ve presented here but it doesn’t seem to be representative of some of the more pixelated images on your Kickstarter page which are a little too retro for me I’m sorry to say.  Smile

If you don’t like the style, then that’s your preference, and that’s how it is. No worries.  Smile

Origami - 13 October 2016 01:18 PM

What talking dog?

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

parallaxdreams - 13 October 2016 02:20 PM

What talking dog?

The one with the hippy owner.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

parallaxdreams - 13 October 2016 12:29 PM

So I actually talk about why this specific pixel style was chosen for the game in a DevBlog post. To elaborate on that point a bit, I believe that at a specific level of abstraction in the graphics, the imagination interacts with the game in such way (similar to reading a novel and picturing the characters in your head) that, as a result, the player becomes more invested in the game.

It’s good to see a philosophical approach to art styles. Many developers go with a modern style because it’s modern, or a retro style due to budget limitations. You’ve chosen a style that fits your vision, so good for you.

I also agree with what you say about imagination and filling in the gaps. It’s unfortunate that many gamers today do not have the imagination to appreciate anything less than modern, detailed graphics.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Slightly conflicted as I love these graphics for the backgrounds, but not for the characters.  However if the game itself is good I’m sure they will work fine.  All the best with your Kickstarter!

(I’m also intrigued to see how you develop this “squad-based point-and-click” Smile)

Joined 2016-10-02

PM

Origami - 13 October 2016 02:25 PM
parallaxdreams - 13 October 2016 02:20 PM

What talking dog?

The one with the hippy owner.

I just got the reference Smile  He’s not in the game. I consider that show to be more of an example of 1970s comedy anyway, rather than the tone we’re going for with The Last Goddess.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

parallaxdreams - 13 October 2016 03:43 PM

I just got the reference Smile  He’s not in the game. I consider that show to be more of an example of 1970s comedy anyway, rather than the tone we’re going for with The Last Goddess.

I don’t know why, but I was immediately reminded of the ‘mystery gang’ seeing the art for the characters and the segment of them sitting in a car.

Good luck with the game. Hope you manage to weave a good mystery. If so, will check it out.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve just gone to the kickstarter page and it’s not doing well… The game in itself looks interesting and I backed it but I think people are tired of the overly pixelized retro look and asking for 150k with this kind of look, no demo and no previous games to show (Adventures in Research! is not available) makes it tough to succeed…

Joined 2016-10-02

PM

giom - 20 October 2016 06:56 AM

I’ve just gone to the kickstarter page and it’s not doing well… The game in itself looks interesting and I backed it but I think people are tired of the overly pixelized retro look and asking for 150k with this kind of look, no demo and no previous games to show (Adventures in Research! is not available) makes it tough to succeed…

First of all, thanks for backing the game!

And thank you for your feedback on the Kickstarter as well. I’m not giving up on the campaign while it’s still running, and—whatever the outcome—after it ends I’ll be sifting through all the feedback I’ve received to see what resonates with myself and the rest of the team as we prepare a way forward for The Last Goddess.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

No problem, it really looks interesting and I, for one, actually don’t mind retro looks.
It’s just that it’s frustrating to see so many kickstarter campaigns that look promising fail because of the same reasons… 

I strongly believe that demos are critical to secure funding. It’s also very important to plan before the campaign all of the media events and coverage so that people keep talking about the game all through the campaign. 

The skills to manage a successful kickstarter campaigns are not the same skills that are needed to produce the game but are similar to what you need to be able to sell the game in the future. So they’re critical to develop and kickstarter is a great training ground for this.

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

parallaxdreams - 13 October 2016 12:29 PM

Let’s be honest the graphics are what they are for budget/skill level issues. Which I don’t mind if the story is intriguing. The Last Door was lower resolution than what you’re doing but was a success because of it’s storytelling. Unfortunately your video doesn’t provide a story hook that will interest people, which you could do even with poor graphics.

Your concept of 4 female protagonists with different personalities and skills working as a team I really like. It’s a good idea.

But going back to the story. “1000s of years ago in humanities darkest days the goddesses rescued us, but what happened to them, where did they go”. Well sorry but there’s no story telling or intrigue there. You need to create an interest and well you haven’t done, the premise is too simplistic and without any layers of lore.

I know that’s all brutally honest and I know it’s really difficult starting a small creative business but what you’re doing needs to be adapted for the market.

You could make this project a success but you do need to adapt it, good luck.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top